Alternative for the fuel filter?

Thread: Alternative for the fuel filter?

Default Alternative for the fuel filter?

At the time of this post the filter part #15420-48G00 is 59USD at bikebandit + shipping ( double fees all the way to my country.)

And it's absurd that this thing decay so fast. No other motorcycle that I know have to change filters every 5k I'm or more.

I know that probably my fuel quality is not the best there is but I bet others don't suffer as much as us for this crappy part.

So have anyone done a DIY filter with home Depot parts? Or any other online alternative that doesn't require much modding the nosing and hose?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2.25"Bones/2"Risers/StebelHorn/TitaniumFeelers/EngineGuards/StrdCutGel eat/K&NAir&OilFilters/JoeFloridaLED/LEDVoltimeter/GIPRO/USBdoc/Debeveared/FI2000/o2Sensor'sEliminator/KuryBlkGrips/PushPinMod /MotorMounts/Duck'sCovers

IMAGE TOO WIDE, CAN BE NO MORE THAN 800 PIXELS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

There have been more then a few members here that have changed the filter to a cheap ($5-$10) off the shelf filter. If you can find one that will fit within the "slosh pouch" you should be able to zip tie or clamp the filter housing to the fuel intake hose. You can use one of those filters that have hose connection nipples on each end. You connect the "after filter" nipple end to the intake hose and leave the other end open. Now at this point you will only have a very small intake hole coming from the nipple left unconnected which will starve the motor so what you need to do is to drill as many small diameter holes into the plastic housing as possible so that the housing acts as a pre filter. Then next time you need to change the filter you unscrew the filter housing bottom, replace filter and put back together but this time the filter will only be that $5-$10 range that can be found anywhere instead of $60+. You may also want to attach some type of weight to the filter housing so that it stays submerged as a secondary precaution in case it doesn't fit within the slosh pouch securely. I hope that makes sense for you.
    Last edited by Latinrascal; 07-11-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Very Active Member

I ordered this fuel pump and filter from ebay for under $30.

https://goo.gl/photos/tuLXQW7qv9LFQksT7

Pump looks pretty much like ours except the housing is a bit different and the filter would not lay flat at the very bottom of the tank, therefore you could run out of gas a little sooner.
    Have it as a backup, was thinking I could put the pump into the stock housing with some macgyvering, but then you are stuck with the stupid stock filter prices.
    These filters are like $5 to replace.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Default Alternative for the fuel filter?

Quote Originally Posted by BradSmith View Post
    I ordered this fuel pump and filter from ebay for under $30.

https://goo.gl/photos/tuLXQW7qv9LFQksT7

Pump looks pretty much like ours except the housing is a bit different and the filter would not lay flat at the very bottom of the tank, therefore you could run out of gas a little sooner.
    Have it as a backup, was thinking I could put the pump into the stock housing with some macgyvering, but then you are stuck with the stupid stock filter prices.
    These filters are like $5 to replace.
    Thanks for the up date! Good job investigating that and sharing that with us. By any chance did they give the technical information about the pump. I remember there is a specific output for the fuel pump for our 9. I don't have the data at hand right now but maybe someone will have their book handy or can search it from their electronic manual download. My concern is if the after market does not have the required fuel output that might cause some drivability issue? Hmmm, let us know what the numbers are.

also could you post a few pictures of your exact model. I have found that buying from eBay and Amazon that resellers will change the name of the products but yet the product is identical, or maybe it's not, ie: fuel output.

We all should do a "Group-on" buy of filters!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

I've got near 30k km on my bike and have never had to change the fuel filter. I always use 'good' name brand gas ... that is an important fact to consider.
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

Default I always use 'good' name brand gas

Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    I've got near 30k km on my bike and have never had to change the fuel filter. I always use 'good' name brand gas ... that is an important fact to consider.
    Can you elaborate on that?

Which ones are 'bad' and which are 'good'?

I live little bit north of you...

Thanks
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Great advices guys, let's see what can I come up with over here!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2.25"Bones/2"Risers/StebelHorn/TitaniumFeelers/EngineGuards/StrdCutGel eat/K&NAir&OilFilters/JoeFloridaLED/LEDVoltimeter/GIPRO/USBdoc/Debeveared/FI2000/o2Sensor'sEliminator/KuryBlkGrips/PushPinMod /MotorMounts/Duck'sCovers

IMAGE TOO WIDE, CAN BE NO MORE THAN 800 PIXELS.

Well I'm at 60,000km and I have never changed my filter. Maybe I am Just lucky with getting clean gas. I have not had any fuel issues. I have a 2006 9er

Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.

Very Active Member

Here is another picture of the pump with a model number.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/QJQQhmYDQfgx4FGn1

They looked pretty similar (while not definitive) , I would be willing to bet that it would be up to the task, which is why I ordered it.....not paying $200+ for used or new pump.
    Seem to remember another thread where someone took a similar pump and replaced theirs (perhaps a C109).
    Advantage to doing a replacement with a generic pump is that the filters would be appropriately priced; as in under $10 and not $75.

Group by from Suzuki would never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Thanks for the up date! Good job investigating that and sharing that with us. By any chance did they give the technical information about the pump. I remember there is a specific output for the fuel pump for our 9. I don't have the data at hand right now but maybe someone will have their book handy or can search it from their electronic manual download. My concern is if the after market does not have the required fuel output that might cause some drivability issue? Hmmm, let us know what the numbers are.

also could you post a few pictures of your exact model. I have found that buying from eBay and Amazon that resellers will change the name of the products but yet the product is identical, or maybe it's not, ie: fuel output.

We all should do a "Group-on" buy of filters!

I have back flushed my filter with brake cleaner before and put it back in, it fixed it temporarily, like 3 months, then it started dying again at stops. I have a small in line filter out of an edelbrock carb kit that I'm gonna try to replace the stock filter with. Good idea on drilling all the holes in the housing to get more fuel into it. Once I get time to do it I will let u know how it works

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard C109R

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post

Thanks
    Great question! How does one determine what's bad or good? I mean, I've mostly always bought my gas from a local Shell, and yet I've had to change my filter twice in 30,000 miles. I have a tuned up Ranger that is sensitive to octane, and when it started pinging on the same stations 91 octane premium, it made me wonder if Shell is really a good one, or not. I now mostly buy my gas from a local station that has 93, and he's the only game in town for 93. His turnover is huge because of that, gets two trucks a week for the 93 only. Been using that for many years, since I've had the Nine (11 years).

Not sure what it is that causes the filters to go bad. A friend has an 06 Nine with 15,000 on it, and he's not had to change his yet. Yet mine's gone bad twice.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post

Thanks
    Stay away from Mom & Pop gas stations, they dont check for water in the bottom of the tanks like they should among other things. Busy gas stations are the best. If they are busy and sell a lot of gas, it is fresher. Gas does have a shelf life. All gas is not the same. QT is a good choice, they are midwest states mostly and they guarantee their gas. I have seen them pay out for a fuel issue before, they are straight shooters. If you can, buy only from the same station every time, if not that, the same chain, if not that, busy chain locations. If the pump is dirty, go someplace else.

Source: Was a QT manager once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by cubcake1 View Post
    Stay away from Mom & Pop gas stations, they dont check for water in the bottom of the tanks like they should among other things. Busy gas stations are the best. If they are busy and sell a lot of gas, it is fresher. Gas does have a shelf life. All gas is not the same. QT is a good choice, they are midwest states mostly and they guarantee their gas. I have seen them pay out for a fuel issue before, they are straight shooters. If you can, buy only from the same station every time, if not that, the same chain, if not that, busy chain locations. If the pump is dirty, go someplace else.

Good tip! I guess that's also how you got to know all about oil as well? Thanks, it's great to have a few more smarty pants on the board! great to have a good mix of skill sets! Great to hear from you again!

Quote Originally Posted by cubcake1 View Post

Another consideration would be the age of the actual station and the pumps. Newer stations should offer cleaner fuel. A new station is not one that was built where an old station existed. Many times they change everything above ground and leave the same tanks and lines below ground.
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

So here are some photos of my solution for fixing the fuel filter problem. I found this Edelbrock inline fuel filter at auto zone it has a asintered-bronze, cleanable and replaceable, filter in it that filters down to microns according to what I looked up if I remember correctly (it was 2 weeks ago.)

The elbow is a PCV valve elbow that I found at O'Reilly's.

So I disassembled the filter cut down the inlet shorter so it would fit in the sump bowl/boot/whatever you call it. I took the housing and drilled holes around only 180 degrees of it. I used the elbow from the old filter (BE CAREFUL WHEN TRIMMING THAT THINGDOWN) I suggest using either a hobby knife or a dremel. I say this because I used wire dykes and snipped off too much and cracked mine. Then I trimmed down the elbow and aligned the filter with the holes facing down, then put the boot back on and had to use extra zip ties to keep the elbow from slipping off the old filter elbow.

It works so far, I have been thru 2 tanks of fuel and I can get to 160 miles before I chicken out and stop for fuel. But the most important thing is that it doesn't die when stopping at a light.

Holly! Fantastic, I just LOVE it! Woo hoo, I'm going to do this with mine! Thanks for sharing. Your awesome

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. July 26-30.

Very Active Member

Guys, I don`t get it ... So you guys would endure weeks of problems , starving engine , etc , in order to save $50 or so dollars ...
    I would just order the original filter for $54.00 , swallow the upsetting and be done with it .
    Last edited by josey88; 08-19-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
    Guys, I don`t get it ... So you guys would endure weeks of problems , starving engine , etc , in order to save $50 or so dollars ...
    I would just order the original filter for $54.00 , swallow the upsetting and be done with it .
    Where did you find it for that price?

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Where did you find it for that price?
    $52.99 US on oneidasuzuki.com (Of course you still have a bit of shipping on top of that)

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...r-2006-08.html

Whats your Suzuki dealer selling them for?
    I would not think there would be a huge difference between one Suzuki Dealer to the next.
    Maybe your State or Country has higher taxes and tariffs that drive the price up a bit.
    I can usually get the stealer in my town to match Oneida parts price if I show it to them online.

BCS
    Last edited by Bering_C_Sparky; 08-19-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Last I checked I think it was like in the 90's

I have 90k miles on 08 and recently dropped bike on trailer and dented tank, removed tank to fix and after that bike ran bad at high speeds. I then removed fuel filter witch look like very black, so I removed and cleaned with brake clean blew air through it and reinstalled bike runs greater than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by octane orange View Post
    I have 90k miles on 08 and recently dropped bike on trailer and dented tank, removed tank to fix and after that bike ran bad at high speeds. I then removed fuel filter witch look like very black, so I removed and cleaned with brake clean blew air through it and reinstalled bike runs greater than ever.
    Hmmm, i wonder if the bike falling over tripped the tip over sensor and somehow put the bike into SAFE MODE which will act like you described! When you removed the tank i assume you disconnected the battery? If you did then this is most likely what happened and by disconnecting the battery you reset the sensor.

As for the filter, just an FYI, the Black coloration that you seen when you pulled your old filter can be duplicated with a Brand New filter by just getting it soaked with gas. Its just the way it looks when wet but that dont mean that yours was not dirty especially after that amount of miles.
    Last edited by Latinrascal; 08-20-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Cherokee Bill,
    thanks for posting the how to. What you did is exactly what i was trying to describe above (post #2 i believe).
    Nice job

Quote Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
    I refuse to pay $70 for what, in a car or truck, would be MAYBE $20. Especially with them having to be replaced, as in some extreme case, every 6k miles. It's not a Harley and if I wanted to pay exorbitant prices I would have bought a dang harley. I'm still testing my setup out and we shall see how it does, I'm into this for about $20 and I'm gonna see how it does.