Need New Front Tire for 2007 M109R

Thread: Need New Front Tire for 2007 M109R

Default Need New Front Tire for 2007 M109R

I'm hoping someone out there can help me pick a new front tire for my 2007 M109R. Presently I have 2 x Dunlop brand tires on the rear and front of my bike. Rear is new Last season. I now need a new front tire presently I have on the front a Dunlop 130/70R18 but on my internet searches I see a lot of Elite 4 and Elite 3 that have different tread patterns than my existing tire. Can anyone recommend which is the best Dunlop tire pattern to buy for the front tire . I was also given this larger tire size to add on the front Dunlop 150/60R18 D251 Radial . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thank you in advance !

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default 160-60-18

i run 160-60-18 metzeler on my bike , big difference

Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
    i run 160-60-18 metzeler on my bike , big difference
    I want to change over to Metzeler but I just put on a new rear Dunlop and I`ve been told not to run with different brand tires on a 2 wheel motorcycle - did you sell your bike and buy the new bike

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I run the Dunlop elite 3. Get really good wear out of them and ride very nice

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stillfree View Post
    I want to change over to Metzeler but I just put on a new rear Dunlop and I`ve been told not to run with different brand tires on a 2 wheel motorcycle - did you sell your bike and buy the new bike
    The Suzuki dealer put two different brands on one of our bikes. I don't think it matters as long as the pressure stays right.

I'm looking at the American made Michelin Commander high rated rain tire, they also came out with a 240 rear. I know boring 240. Just liking the wet rating and long tire life and the fantastic reviews the tire has got.

I feel your dilemma, at least your thinking about it now, we waited to long and got stuck with what ever the dealer had available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

I
    have
    250 Dunlop at the back and no problems .
    bike is leaving soon , new bike should be here in couple of weeks ( early May )

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

I have the Dunlop D251 150/60/18 and put almost 11K miles on it with no issues. I'll buy another one to go along with my new Dunlop 250 rear.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

The main reason to stick with the same brand is too have identical traction. I know some may say that it doesn't matter, but riding ability can make a difference.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by QZephyr View Post
    The main reason to stick with the same brand is too have identical traction. I know some may say that it doesn't matter, but riding ability can make a difference.
    I've read a lot of posts that members have said they reverse the front tire - what is the advantage of doing that

It also appears that the most popular front tire size is the 140/60 no fender extenders needed w/ the M109R

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The tire they're referring to is a rear tire. They reverse it for braking purposes. Although some have posted that they don't reverse it. That's the 160 tire. I haven't changed my front tire yet, so I don't have feedback on the differences.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all.

Default reverse the front tire - what is the advantage of doing that

I've read a lot of posts that members have said they reverse the front tire - what is the advantage of doing that

It also appears that the most popular front tire size is the 140/60 no fender extenders needed w/ the M109R

My notes..:

From Metzler web site couple years ago
    here is write-up for running tire backwards- this is on forum
    : When running a rear tire on the front of my bike (160/60/R18 etc.), do I have to run the tire in reverse?
    A: Yes! The tire should be mounted in reverse! (directional arrow, tracking the OPPOSITE way) This quote is right off
    the Metzler web-site:
    Rear tires can be mounted at front wheels?
    When producing tires, the top cap is heated with an angle bump on the carcass. To prevent the detachment of the
    assembled edges the tire has to be mounted (concerning the main stress: acceleration force at the rear wheel or wheel
    brake force at the front) corresponding to the respective declaration.
    Therefore the declaration of the driving direction at the tires sidewall is a very important safety regard and has to
    be noticed absolute. It is not allowed to mount front tires at rear wheels.
    In case you intend to mount a rear tire on a front wheel it has to be assembled contrary to the driving direction
    declaration (direction of the arrow at the tires sidewall). Please observe the standards in your country. In any doubts
    we kindly ask you to consult your dealer.

My other notes:

The tread pattern of front and rear motorcycle tires are different because the performance function of front and rear tires are not the same. Front tires are designed to provide maximum braking grip and the rear tires are designed to provide maximum grip under accelerating conditions. In order to achieve these performance criteria the tread design of front and rear tires will go in opposite directions.
    As for water sheding. The tire is not flat. Its round cross section allows it to shed water without the tread. Tread helps of coarse but the direction of the tread for rubber stability is more improtant than for sheding water. Car tires are flat, so they need the V groove to push water from the center of the tire out the sides. The bike tires round cross section of the bike tire does the same thing on its own.

PS.

Note highlighted words...
    Last edited by thevili; 04-09-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

That's concerning the members that insist on putting tires that are made for the rear onto the front. Whats really CRAZY is some of these same people who are completely ok with doing this on a FRONT wheel are the same guys that will Tar and Feather anyone who wants to put a 280mm tire onto a wheel that is stated to be to big for the stock wheel by ruffly 1/2 of an inch! The reason for running it in the reverse direction is because of the way the tire is put together; on the rear a rear tire is reenforced to handle rotational pressures created to propel the bike forward whereas the front tire is made to handle the Stopping force which happens in the opposite direction as a rear tire. This is all meant to keep the rear tire from coming apart on your front wheel while enjoying a sunday cruise.
    IMHO doing this is completely crazy and totally unnecessary! Personally I would go witht the largest Front tire i could use that fit the bike which i think is a 150-70-18 or something close to that (maybe its the 150-60-18 you talked about in your first post)

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    That's concerning the members that insist on putting tires that are made for the rear onto the front. Whats really CRAZY is some of these same people who are completely ok with doing this on a FRONT wheel are the same guys that will Tar and Feather anyone who wants to put a 280mm tire onto a wheel that is stated to be to big for the stock wheel by ruffly 1/2 of an inch! The reason for running it in the reverse direction is because of the way the tire is put together; on the rear a rear tire is reenforced to handle rotational pressures created to propel the bike forward whereas the front tire is made to handle the Stopping force which happens in the opposite direction as a rear tire. This is all meant to keep the rear tire from coming apart on your front wheel while enjoying a sunday cruise.
    IMHO doing this is completely crazy and totally unnecessary! Personally I would go witht the largest Front tire i could use that fit the bike which i think is a 150-70-18 or something close to that (maybe its the 150-60-18 you talked about in your first post)
    Lots of good info from both of you - thank u very much. But I'm still wondering what is the reason and/or advantage of putting a rear tire on the front - why r they doing that ?

Lots of good info from both of you - thank u very much. But I'm still wondering what is the reason and/or advantage of putting a rear tire on the front - why r they doing that ?

Because there was not front tire made 160 mm wide..

so we opted for only other option-rear tire, and installed it on front...

Maybe there is one now...
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Default Need New Front Tire for 2007 M109R

I just learned, For some it's the added weight; Fairing, gear, accessories for trips, to prevent wobble from the weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882
    Last edited by biker-chicky; 04-09-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    For some it's the added weight.
    Which is bad or good in your opinion?

And why?

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    I just learned, For some it's the added weight; Fairing, gear, accessories for trips, to prevent wobble from the weight.

So weight is good or bad ??

PS.

also why?

Simply because they wanted the fatest front tire that they were able to have installed on a stock wheel and still fit between the forks. There is really NO ADVANTAGE that i can think of, just a want!
    Last edited by Latinrascal; 04-09-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    Simply because they wanted the fatest front tire that they were able to have installed on a stock wheel and still fit between the forks. There is really NO ADVANTAGE that i can think of, just a want!
    I'm not interested in doing that but have to admit the person that came up w/ the original idea was creative . So I think I will go with the Dunlop 140/60 front tire for this time and switch both next time for a much higher end brand when I have more cash.

It's been real interesting , thanks very much to everyone

Very Active Member

Just like BigMike , I run the Rune front tire

The Dunlop D251 150/60/18 and get about 16,000km

Changes the turning behaviour of the bike for the better.....I am about to order my 3rd front tire (at 65,000km on the bike now)

Pete's Super Bikes is best in Canada

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

The reason I went with the 160 on the front is for stability on crappy pavement

In Canada we have 2 seasons Winter and Construction

Construction season coincides with Summer and a lot of times we have to ride on pavement that is scraped before they repave it. With narrow tires the ribs from scraping grab the front tire and it's a pretty freaky ride. With a wider tire it doesn't grab the ribs

Stillfree, what tire did you end up buying?

Happiness is a motorcycle, a full tank of gas and a long twisty road.

Quote Originally Posted by bludoc View Post
    Stillfree, what tire did you end up buying?
    Still not sure yet - will wait until I get the bike on the road before making any decisions. Hope you enjoy riding a lot this summer.

So what is the BIGGEST front tire you can fit on the stock set up?

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StitchsLoft View Post
    So what is the BIGGEST front tire you can fit on the stock set up?
    160, but then you have to decide to extend or not to extend.

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sh...est+front+tire

BCS