M109 Rider Forums banner

Front shocks repair

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  stormiezzz 
#1 ·
Indy 109 riders does anybody out there know who you would take your front end of your M109 to go have it worked on? Since I've had this bike I replace the seals twice. Two seasons ago I actually had new bronze bushings put installed. And now I have one that's of my seals leaking again, if you know who would be best to work on the front ends of these beast please let me know.

#6 ·
A very very long time ago I earned some of my apprentiship hours at a Good Year Tire store doing brakes , tune ups , front-end alignments etc and changing tons of shocks because back then they all leaked/sweat a little shortly after being installed. I swear they paid their rent from all the shocks they used to convinced people to replace . It was quite the scam back then. The same was true with slightly loose ball joints . Back then everything had grease nipples so if a customer didn't want his ball joint replaced the shop would convince him to have a liquid compound pumped into the ball joint to take up the slack when it hardened but it never lasted long enough 2 b worth paying for.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Cranking down the forks too far when transporting is always a bad idea and to add to what BradSmith said, when fixing your forks and adding the oil, it's always a good idea to add a bit more oil (50ml) to the forks, especially on a high mileage bike. Pitting of the chrome on forks always happens closest to the ground where fine road debris is usually flying about. Adding more oil reduces the compression somewhat and it will be less likely that you will constantly scrape your seals.

65,000km, original seals no issues so far.
Do you trailer your bike? Perhaps cranking the forks down to much?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.