Brembo Calipers On M109R - Do we have to change the stock rotors?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brembo Calipers On M109R - Do we have to change the stock rotors?

Default Brembo Calipers On M109R - Do we have to change the stock rotors?

Fellow, M109R"s, does anyone know if one was to put Brembo calipers on our bikes, would one have to change the stock oem rotor? I read an article ( can't seem to find it) that in order to use the Brembo caliper you have to remove the dowel pin bolts ( these are the pins that connect to our Tokico calipers ) from the mounting flange from the lower part of the fork and it becomes a direct bolt. To be more precise, would the Brembo calipers fit our stock rotors. Anyone have any feedback. Thanks.
    Last edited by Cyberhome41; 02-12-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: More information

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberhome41 View Post
    Fellow, M109R"s, does anyone know if one was to put Brembo calipers on our bikes, would one have to change the stock oem rotor? I read an article ( can't seem to find it) that in order to use the Brembo caliper you have to remove the dowel pin bolts ( these are the pins that connect to our Tokico calipers ) from the mounting flange from the lower part of the fork and it becomes a direct bolt. To be more precise, would the Brembo calipers fit our stock rotors. Anyone have any feedback. Thanks.
    Not really sure I had a club brother put the on, he didn't say they had a hard time, I thought they were a direct bolt on.
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

My local dealer gave me a set of black stock Brembo's off a Hayabusa. I doubt the rotors have to be changed. A slight difference in thickness would not hurt anything since the pads will adjust once activated. The hoses definitely need to be changed though, as where the hoses attach on the Brembos are at the top of the caliper, rather than the middle like our stock ones are. I've not put them on yet, summer time mod. Have to figure out hose lengths and have some custom made braided steel units made for me locally. Looks like the hoses need to be about four inches or so shorter.

He told me they would bolt right on though, with the exception of the hose difference. Could use the stock hoses, but it would look unsightly with all that slack needing some place to go. Good time to change to braided steel pieces for appearance and performance sake.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 02-12-2017 at 08:19 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply! I was worried I had to change the rotors. I do have the Galfers braided lines, so, I should be ok. Once gain, thanks a million.

Thanks for the reply! I was worried I had to change the rotors. I do have the Galfers braided lines, so, I should be ok. Once gain, thanks a million.
    But they will be too long it you have stock calipers now. The mounting point for the hose on the caliper is different. The stock caliper has the hose attach mid point. The Brembo has the hose attach at the top at a different angle. Even if you have braided hoses now on stock calipers, they will be too long on the Brembo's. It will look quite unsightly trying to hide all that extra length when you swap them out.

Unless your Brembo's have the hose mount as the stock M109 does (doubt it).
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member SouthernFattie's Avatar

They are a direct swap. The only change between the stock and brembo (other than hose attach location) is the brembo has a much harder pinch on the rotors.

The guy who did a belt drive swap can attest to this, and see his pics, as he did the same.

Here's his build thread.
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...=308618&page=3
    Custom Z-Bars. Chromed Holey Grips. Scythe Knock Off Mirrors. Bullet Turn Signals. GMan ATRE. Cobra PowrPro (thanks Laurex). McNEMO Custom Rat Rod Exhaust. Custom Polished & Painted Stock Wheels. Smoked & Integrated Sequential LED Tail Light. Stealth LED signals under rear fender. De-beavered with plate mount. Edelbrock ProFlow Intakes. Plasti-dipped Speedo Housing, Chrome Rear Fender Rails, Tach Box and Chrome on Headlight Cowl.

I see how he dealt with the extra hose length. He attached clamps to the radiator shroud. Not the greatest idea, IMHO. But, whatever works. I'm going with custom made braided hose of the correct length myself.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I think you can pull the excess hose into the headlight bucket. There should be plenty of room.

TRod, I was thinking the same thing, pull the excess brake line in the headlight bucket area. Plenty of room there. Fellow, M109R's greatly appreciate the feedback. Going to pull the plug on some Brembo's. Have a friend who knows someone that has a set that he is selling from a 2015 GSXR1000, low low miles.

I have the galfer lines and a stebel horn in the bucket. The extra length of brakeline can be put in the headlight bucket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hey, that's good to know on putting the extra length in the headlight bucket. Anyhow, since I'm planning on making the switch to braided lines, and there's a local shop that can customize the lengths, I'm just going to go with proper length hoses from the get go. I'm going to eliminate the hose splitter and run two full length lines from the cylinder down. I've done that on every bike I've owned for many many years.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

My mechanic offered me once to install Brembo calipers on my '9 ... 500 Euros for the couple.
    I decided not to trigger on it, as I think our stock calipers have enough power ... however he told me that these Brembo calipers need to have a specific measure to mount on the '9 ... I think he mentioned like M8 or M10 ...

He used to work in Brembo and if you want I can contact him to provide you with more info
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

I swapped out my stock calipers for Brembo's on Saturday. Rode it for the first time yesterday, could definitely tell the difference. Also was able to use the stock hoses without tucking anything up in the headlight bucket. Modified that little hook and loop bracket the hoses go through, cut off the hook. Removed the rubber sleeve the hook caught on off the hoses. Ran the hoses pointing aft off the calipers, then up through the hoop. Looks fine to me. Also I had to remove four sleeves out of the mounting holes, as the Brembo calipers do not have the relief cut in them to slip over the sleeves. A pair of channel locks pulled the sleeves right out. The mounting bolts fit snugly in the caliper mounting holes.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 05-30-2018 at 02:13 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    I swapped out my stock calipers for Brembo's on Saturday. Rode it for the first time yesterday, could definitely tell the difference. Also was able to use the stock hoses without tucking anything up in the headlight bucket. Modified that little hook and loop bracket the hoses go through, cut off the hook. Removed the rubber sleeve the hook caught on off the hoses. Rand the hoses pointing aft off the calipers, then up through the hoop. Looks fine to me. Also I had to remove four sleeves out of the mounting holes, as the Brembo calipers do not have the relief cut in them to slip over the sleeves. A pair of channel locks pulled the sleeves right out. The mounting bolts fit snugly in the caliper mounting holes.
    You know the saying pics or it didn't happen :)

I know, I'll post some pictures when the weather permits me to take the bike out of the dark garage.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Cyberhome41, when you do these brake calipers, I'm assuming you know how to bleed brakes? I did mine the old-fashioned way, squeezing the lever and cracking the bleed screw. Also, it works very well to fill the calipers with fluid before attaching the hoses. I used a small syringe with a piece of rubber tubing on that, then one of those teensy red drink straws (like you find in bars) in the rubber tubing. This got past that little hole in the top of the caliper. Once the hoses were hooked up, it took forever to get them filled, lots of squeezing the lever and cracking the bleed screws, alternating from left-to-right frequently. Don't let the master cylinder run out of fluid once you start. Eventually the lever will get some feel, then it'll start pushing fluid and bubbles out the screws. Took me about 45 minutes from the start of the filling process to getting a tight brake lever again.

I'm going to check mine again this weekend, for residual bubbles. Not many riding chances the next two weeks due to rain, looking like Friday only.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

I have done the old school way of bleeding the brakes, but the best way is bleeding them with an air compressor, quick and easy. I did bleed the brakes with a compressor when I was having a problem a few months back and it work perfectly. Firm brakes and have not have a problem since.

To those who said "pics or it didn't happen", here ya go. As you can see, I modified that little black hook and loop bracket, cut the hook off with a cutoff wheel and painted it satin black. Never even removed the hoses, nor did I need to tuck them in the bucket. I bled them the old-fashioned way, lots of lever squeezes. They feel great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01010013_zps6wzvmzx4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	377393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01010012_zpspvdvgwoq.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	377385  
    Last edited by cbxer55; 05-30-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Good job, looks good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Good job, looks good!

You'll note I also put the stock front fender back on. So that Low and Mean Reeper is going to be in the classifieds soon.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Default Brembo Calipers On M109R - Do we have to change the stock rotors?

You'll note I also put the stock front fender back on. So that Low and Mean Reeper is going to be in the classifieds soon.
    Why?
    Could you post a pic? I like the long fender. Cool to have a before and after?

Last edited by biker-chicky; 04-01-2017 at 01:14 PM.

The stock front fender is just more "sporty" looking, the long fender is more "cruiserish". I've been swapping them out frequently since I bought the long fender. I just keep going back to the stock one more often. It was on all last year. Anyhow, it's already painted to match your bike.

And I also don't think it will work with the new brake calipers as I have the hoses routed at this time. Think the hoses will hit the fender, since it extends down behind them. The fender follows the contour of the rim/tire junction perfectly. If you look at the pictures above of the Brembo calipers, you will see the hoses pass through that imaginary line, so would probably hit the fender. It could be fixed with a new set of brake hoses, but I'm not going to be doing that soon.

Last edited by cbxer55; 04-01-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Thanks for the pictures! Wow! Nice bikes! I'll keep my eye open. I'm thinking you may keep it, nice to have a change once in awhile.

Thanks for the pictures! Wow! Nice bikes! I'll keep my eye open. I'm thinking you may keep it, nice to have a change once in awhile.

The blurple bike belongs to a long time friend of mine, Sam. He's 74 years old and still rides this kind of bike. Nice. I can only hope that when I'm 20 years older, I can still do the same. He bought it in like March or April 2006, when they first came out. I bought mine in July 06. We've been friends since we bumped into one another at a group bike ride in simmer 06.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

The blurple bike is a long time friend of mine, Sam. He's 74 years old and still rides this kind of bike. Nice. I can only hope that when I'm 20 years older, I can still do the same.
    Oh for sure! You and me both, he must go to the gym, or exercise regularly?

Oh for sure! You and me both, he must go to the gym, or exercise regularly?

He has an out building in his back yard, with a whole bunch of workout equipment he bought from a place that went out of business years ago. So yeah, he tries, in between health issues, to stay in shape. I workout myself, at home. Have all my own stuff as well. Beats the hell out of hanging out at a gym.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

He has an out building in his back yard, with a whole bunch of workout equipment he bought from a place that went out of business years ago. So yeah, he tries, in between health issues, to stay in shape. I workout myself, at home. Have all my own stuff as well. Beats the hell out of hanging out at a gym.
    Awesome!

Cool thread.
    I really like the idea of bolting on some brembo's.
    Im guessing you must have noticed a difference in braking? How was it compadres to stock?

I'll have to start checking some classifieds for some Calipers.
    2009 M109 LEISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Kury Shifter/Brake MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated,
    Kury Mini Bullet Signals, Kury Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels,
    Sideburner Exhaust, Goldwing Intakes, Cobra Power Pro

Hey, cbxer55, the Brembos look great! Awesome looking bike!

I have a full set I've been wanting to switch. Just haven't had the time to make a new bracket for the rear caliper. I'm glad to hear there is a improvement over stock