Speedometer faceplate installation - pic heavy

Thread: Speedometer faceplate installation - pic heavy

Default Speedometer faceplate installation - pic heavy

This is my 1st how to so go easy if it's crappy

I found a place online called Speed Gauge Customs ( http://www.speedgaugecustoms.com/suzuki-boulevard ) that makes custom speedo faceplates for our bikes. He does all years, including 2010 up with gear indicator in the tach. This how-to is only for the speedo, tachometer how to will be posted in the next couple of days.

Step 1:
    Remove the bolt holding the gas tank to the frame.

Step 2:
    Remove the single allen bolt from the chrome gas tank trim panel

Step 3 & 4:
    Pop the 2 small clips out from the side panels, these clips are accessed under the seat in the same area as the gas tank bolt.

Step 5:
    Pop loose the two small rubber retaining grommets from the underside of the gas tank on each side. This is critical, as these can break off if your not careful.

Step 6:
    Move fuel tank back to expose the wire harness attaching the speedometer to the bike. Do so by slowly rocking the tank back towards the rear until you can see enough space to work the plug apart up front (near the triple trees and neck).

Step 7:
    Once this connector is exposed, you need to separate it.

Step 8:
    You separate the connector by prying this tab up and away from the male side and pull apart the 2 connector ends.

Step 9:
    Remove the chrome trim bezel and speedometer by lifting the rear up (to clear the gas cap) while pushing the whole unit forward to release the two retaining nipples from these rubber grommets.

Step 10:
    Do not pull straight up on the chrome bezel/speedo, or you risk breaking these nipples off. The unit must slide forward to clear these from the tank grommets.

Step 11:
    Once you have the bezel and speedo removed from the bike, your now going to remove the speedo from the bezel by taking out these 4 screws. At this point I recommend working on a soft towel or other fabric, to avoid scratching the chrome or the speedo bezel.

Step 12:
    Now you are going to open up the speedometer assembly by removing these 3 screws ONLY. Do not remove any other screws, or parts may move around inside and damage may occur.

Step 13:
    Once those 3 screws are removed, you can separate the speedo into 3 pieces like so.

Step 14:
    Now we are ready to remove the needle. USE EXTREME CAUTION and keep your fingers away from the pointer or you risk breaking it off. You can NOT get this needle separately! Pull straight out, with absolute minimal side loading or twisting.

Step 15:
    Some of your needles will have the metal pin attached, and on some the metal pin will stay in the speedometer, this is NOT a problem. Once the needle is off, you will remove these two #1 phillips screws. You can then lift the faceplate from the speedometer.

Step 16:
    Your almost finished! Make sure your new faceplate is approximately the same size as the original.....do not worry that the look may be slightly different, your just looking for basic size similarity and that the 3 center holes are aligned.

Step 17:
    You can now lay the new faceplate in place. Make sure it fits snug between the 2 nipples, you may need to trim slightly but not TOO much! Make sure to use a SHARP knife. When you are happy with the fit, you can install the two #1 phillips screws and snug them up. Do not overtighten them! The OEM faceplate has metal reinforcement, this new faceplate does NOT so just snug them well but dont over do it.

Step 18:
    Now you will take the speedometer to your bike and plug it in. It is time to calibrate the needle. Do not install the needle yet! Turn the key on and get the needle ready.

Step 19:
    With the key on, wait at least 5 seconds so the sweep of the gauge is complete (I wait until the fuel pump stops running). At this point your going to install the needle PARTIALLY. Get it as close to ZERO as possible. You'll push it in ever so slightly, do not seat it yet. Then, follow the video below.

VIDEO CALIBRATION

<font size="5">

Step 20:
    Before closing up the speedometer, give the top of the needle a good (but light) wipe with a lint free micro fiber cloth. When you touched it, you left behind finger prints and they will drive you insane to look at HAHA. I also give a couple blows to the speedo (mouth, not compressor) to clean out any debris or dust I may have created.

Step 21:
    You are now finished with the install and you can reverse the removal process to reinstall everything.

ENJOY

Last edited by aqwik69dart; 02-09-2017 at 03:03 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

****Place Holder for Tachometer****

Nice work, nice write up. Now we have 2, so our brothers can refer to.

http://web.archive.org/web/200902061...evardM109R.pdf
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I did not know that existed....but 2 are better than 1

Default Perfect Production

Very nice job ...awesome detail & sharp photos (++video) .... well done !! now wash the beast (detail gave it away) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrpm View Post
    Very nice job ...awesome detail & sharp photos (++video) .... well done !! now wash the beast (detail gave it away) :)
    I expected someone would point that out haha

Quote Originally Posted by aqwik69dart View Post
    I expected someone would point that out haha
    Don't worry,

I'm sure washing will not make it go faster....

be environmentally friendly, save water.. LOL!!

PS.
    I admired your sharp close-ups as well.. skills!l
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Damn good How to, its appreciated the work you put into it, for the good of others. Us LE usually keep our limited Face plates,lol, but if i ever need.....

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    Damn good How to, its appreciated the work you put into it, for the good of others. Us LE usually keep our limited Face plates,lol, but if i ever need.....
    How long did it take to get your Speedo faceplate?
    It's been almost 4 weeks and still waiting.

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fstkat View Post
    How long did it take to get your Speedo faceplate?
    It's been almost 4 weeks and still waiting.
    Wow! Can you phone them? Can you reply to your order confirmation email asking when the order will be filled? This is very odd? Is this place in China?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
    https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=321882

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

Default Needle

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Wow! Can you phone them? Can you reply to your order confirmation email asking when the order will be filled? This is very odd? Is this place in China?

So I got my face plate but can't get the needle off. Its a little different for a M90. I've pulled so hard I'm afraid to brake the needle any ideas?

Very Active Member

This is my 1st how to so go easy if it's crappy

I found a place online called Speed Gauge Customs ( http://www.speedgaugecustoms.com/suzuki-boulevard ) that makes custom speedo faceplates for our bikes. He does all years, including 2010 up with gear indicator in the tach. This how-to is only for the speedo, tachometer how to will be posted in the next couple of days.

Step 1:
    Remove the bolt holding the gas tank to the frame.

Step 2:
    Remove the single allen bolt from the chrome gas tank trim panel

Step 3 & 4:
    Pop the 2 small clips out from the side panels, these clips are accessed under the seat in the same area as the gas tank bolt.

Step 5:
    Pop loose the two small rubber retaining grommets from the underside of the gas tank on each side. This is critical, as these can break off if your not careful.

Step 6:
    Move fuel tank back to expose the wire harness attaching the speedometer to the bike. Do so by slowly rocking the tank back towards the rear until you can see enough space to work the plug apart up front (near the triple trees and neck).

Step 7:
    Once this connector is exposed, you need to separate it.

Step 8:
    You separate the connector by prying this tab up and away from the male side and pull apart the 2 connector ends.

Step 9:
    Remove the chrome trim bezel and speedometer by lifting the rear up (to clear the gas cap) while pushing the whole unit forward to release the two retaining nipples from these rubber grommets.

Step 10:
    Do not pull straight up on the chrome bezel/speedo, or you risk breaking these nipples off. The unit must slide forward to clear these from the tank grommets.

Step 11:
    Once you have the bezel and speedo removed from the bike, your now going to remove the speedo from the bezel by taking out these 4 screws. At this point I recommend working on a soft towel or other fabric, to avoid scratching the chrome or the speedo bezel.

Step 12:
    Now you are going to open up the speedometer assembly by removing these 3 screws ONLY. Do not remove any other screws, or parts may move around inside and damage may occur.

Step 13:
    Once those 3 screws are removed, you can separate the speedo into 3 pieces like so.

Step 14:
    Now we are ready to remove the needle. USE EXTREME CAUTION and keep your fingers away from the pointer or you risk breaking it off. You can NOT get this needle separately! Pull straight out, with absolute minimal side loading or twisting.

Step 15:
    Some of your needles will have the metal pin attached, and on some the metal pin will stay in the speedometer, this is NOT a problem. Once the needle is off, you will remove these two #1 phillips screws. You can then lift the faceplate from the speedometer.

Step 16:
    Your almost finished! Make sure your new faceplate is approximately the same size as the original.....do not worry that the look may be slightly different, your just looking for basic size similarity and that the 3 center holes are aligned.

Step 17:
    You can now lay the new faceplate in place. Make sure it fits snug between the 2 nipples, you may need to trim slightly but not TOO much! Make sure to use a SHARP knife. When you are happy with the fit, you can install the two #1 phillips screws and snug them up. Do not overtighten them! The OEM faceplate has metal reinforcement, this new faceplate does NOT so just snug them well but dont over do it.

Step 18:
    Now you will take the speedometer to your bike and plug it in. It is time to calibrate the needle. Do not install the needle yet! Turn the key on and get the needle ready.

Step 19:
    With the key on, wait at least 5 seconds so the sweep of the gauge is complete (I wait until the fuel pump stops running). At this point your going to install the needle PARTIALLY. Get it as close to ZERO as possible. You'll push it in ever so slightly, do not seat it yet. Then, follow the video below.

VIDEO CALIBRATION

<font size="5">

Step 20:
    Before closing up the speedometer, give the top of the needle a good (but light) wipe with a lint free micro fiber cloth. When you touched it, you left behind finger prints and they will drive you insane to look at HAHA. I also give a couple blows to the speedo (mouth, not compressor) to clean out any debris or dust I may have created.

Step 21:
    You are now finished with the install and you can reverse the removal process to reinstall everything.

ENJOY

Great tutorial! Fantastic pictures, thanks!
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by fstkat View Post
    So I got my face plate but can't get the needle off. Its a little different for a M90. I've pulled so hard I'm afraid to brake the needle any ideas?
    It wont break as long as you pull it straight up. It is in there tight....I promise it will come out :)

Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    Great tutorial! Fantastic pictures, thanks!
    Marty
    Thanks!

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Oooo-thanks for digging up this thread!

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

It wont break as long as you pull it straight up. It is in there tight....I promise it will come out :)
    I got it man I was afraid to brake it. I use a plasic door tool to get it off. Thanks a lot!

Excellent post ... they should all be as clear and well illustrated... nice job