Shinko 006 Podium
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shinko 006 Podium

Default Shinko 006 Podium

Anyone with any experience with this tire on the front? I'm wanting to go down to a 150/60 R18 from a 160 Metz and this tire popped up on the radar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1moore View Post
    Anyone with any experience with this tire on the front? I'm wanting to go down to a 150/60 R18 from a 160 Metz and this tire popped up on the radar.
    May I ask why you want to go from a 160/60 to a 150/60? What are you trying to accomplish, or what do you hope to gain by doing so?

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

4th one for me now, about 9500 ks till sides are smooth, nice clearance for stones and cheap as chips. I recommend the hell out of it...

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

There is also a nice dunlop that is the factory tire on the Honda Rune that is the same size 150/60 R18. Someone here has used one before also.

98% of all Harleys solld are still on the road...the other 2% made it back home

When I went to a wider tire on the front (Metz 160), I got a much smoother ride over cracks, welds and especially over roads that have the top grinded to prepare for a new top coat. I'd stick with the 160
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    May I ask why you want to go from a 160/60 to a 150/60? What are you trying to accomplish, or what do you hope to gain by doing so?
    I just want to try one this go around. I never really thought the 160 was all that like many on here do, and that's fine. I burn off most of the rubber in the NC mountains twisties and looking for something different after seeing how the 160 wore. I'll run a 150 this time and if I think the 160 was better then I'll go back.

I just want to try one this go around. I never really thought the 160 was all that like many on here do, and that's fine. I burn off most of the rubber in the NC mountains twisties and looking for something different after seeing how the 160 wore. I'll run a 150 this time and if I think the 160 was better then I'll go back.
    😊👍👍👍😊

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

and this will fit fine on stock fender?

I was gonna get the stock 130/70 but would rather have a little wider tire

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingCircus View Post
    and this will fit fine on stock fender?

I was gonna get the stock 130/70 but would rather have a little wider tire
    The 160/60 will fit but you will pick up small gravel that will follow the tire and run between it and the fender. I just drilled out my mounting holes on the fender and used a small washer to raise the fender about .125" and that pretty much stopped the gravel effect.
    The width of the 160 is not exactly ideal for the width of the rim so I got some odd wear. It looks great on the bike and didn't give up on any of my dragon trips however it now has tread in the center and bald on both sides. I just want to see how a 150 will wear.

if you do a search on this site (or the internet) you'll see there are after market spacers that raise the fender about 1/2 inch and you do not have to worry about getting fender chips when rocks get stuck in tread

Rob you do realize that, that's a rear tire also, I would just go with the Dunlop D251 150/60-18 it's a front tire and I ran it for a couple of years on my bike
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

I have the Dunlop 251 and love it so far. I have 8K miles on it with more thread left. I will buy another one when this one wears down.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by some 9 View Post
    Rob you do realize that, that's a rear tire also, I would just go with the Dunlop D251 150/60-18 it's a front tire and I ran it for a couple of years on my bike
    Yes I do Andy but its way less than the Dunny. I got my eye on it too, and may go with that since I have a Dunny on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MIKE 109R View Post
    I have the Dunlop 251 and love it so far. I have 8K miles on it with more thread left. I will buy another one when this one wears down.
    Thanks for the info Mike. How is it wearing? The 160 has worn out both sides bald but I have tread in the center.

Very Active Member BIG MIKE 109R's Avatar

Thanks for the info Mike. How is it wearing? The 160 has worn out both sides bald but I have tread in the center.
    Hey Rob, I just took a look at my tire and it's wearing even on the sides and center. I check my air pressure every time I ride.

JESUS IS LORD! 2008 Candy Max Orange Debeavered, Yana Shiki 2" bones, Grasshopper backrest, V&H Big Shots, Dunlop Elite-3 250 rear, Dunlop D251 150 front, LED brake lights, micro brite rear turn signals, Arlen Ness billet chrome grips, smoothie rear fender, ATRE, Wolo horn, Scorp motor mounts, Gel seat, Chrome M109R derby cover, A&R 6K HID.
    I fly low, those who fly low, fly long! BIG MIKE

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MIKE 109R View Post
    Hey Rob, I just took a look at my tire and it's wearing even on the sides and center. I check my air pressure every time I ride.
    Thats good to hear Mike. Thanks for checking.

Quote Originally Posted by some 9 View Post
    Yes it is a rear tire ... but you need to run it in the opposite direction stated on the tire. There are tons of threads here that talk about why, so I won't repeat it. I have been running the 160 front for 2 summers and it is great .. the ride is a million times better than the stock thinner tire.

Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    Yes it is a rear tire ... but you need to run it in the opposite direction stated on the tire. There are tons of threads here that talk about why, so I won't repeat it. I have been running the 160 front for 2 summers and it is great .. the ride is a million times better than the stock thinner tire.
    I currently have a Metz 160 on the front mounted reverse. It's worn bald on both sides with tread still in the middle. I need to replace before the season begins and was wanting to drop down to a 150.

Very Active Member FlyingCircus's Avatar

Thanks for the input

Revo has the spacers

I'll go with the 160 as I need a new front tire anyway

Where I live there are 2 seasons Winter and Construction season so roads are always being scraped and hate the feel of tire grabbing that

My 260 back tire is Metzeler 880 and I prefer to keep the same front and back. Probably go with 888

I currently have a Metz 160 on the front mounted reverse. It's worn bald on both sides with tread still in the middle. I need to replace before the season begins and was wanting to drop down to a 150.
    Sounds like the tire was under inflated .... I check mine every couple of weeks. I can feel when they are under inflated. You'll be sorry not to go with the 160.

Sounds like the tire was under inflated .... I check mine every couple of weeks. I can feel when they are under inflated. You'll be sorry not to go with the 160.
    I will give you the respect of not knowing me personally. However, I will say that my tire pressure gauge is a $90 oil filled Motion Pro that gets used quite often.
    I also push the Dragon pretty hard several times a year....two-up, not only on my 109 but also my VStrom.
    I run my 160 at 38 lbs. but have tested it at higher pressures. It spends most of it's life pushing NC mountain curves, very few highway miles. Tomorrow I'll take a pic.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

I would doubt that is the issue in this guys case. I would think it is because you are hauling a$$ going through the curves. I remember seeing a guy on the dragon with a sport bike. Dressed in all leathers and cutting up the road faster than any guy should. We talked for a while at the service station for about 15 minutes. His tires (front and rear) were worn slick on the sides, and had plenty of tread in the middle. I fond out that he rides the dragon weekly. Usually I kept good air pressure on my tires, and they tend to wear about even. But I do an equal amount of curve and straight line riding. My biggest problem was always cupping. And yes, you can have cupping even if the tire pressure is maintained properly.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I would doubt that is the issue in this guys case. I would think it is because you are hauling a$$ going through the curves. I remember seeing a guy on the dragon with a sport bike. Dressed in all leathers and cutting up the road faster than any guy should. We talked for a while at the service station for about 15 minutes. His tires (front and rear) were worn slick on the sides, and had plenty of tread in the middle. I fond out that he rides the dragon weekly. Usually I kept good air pressure on my tires, and they tend to wear about even. But I do an equal amount of curve and straight line riding. My biggest problem was always cupping. And yes, you can have cupping even if the tire pressure is maintained properly.
    Some one who knows me! LOL
    Keith, do you use Ride-On? I think it helps with reducing the effects of cupping.

Great problem to have Rob...most envy the riders who can start riding in the twisties right from home..Why not try something new,only way to find out..Mets are pricey and wear quickly in the twisties.im sure you can find something that will last a little longer,just not sure how much grip you will have to give up..

curious what you're running on the Strom,and how many different tires you've tried on it
    Last edited by Stavros; 01-31-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    Stav

Some one who knows me! LOL
    Keith, do you use Ride-On? I think it helps with reducing the effects of cupping.
    I know this may be a newbie question, but what is Ride-On? I have heard the name before, but can't remember what it is.

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Heres 1 at 10k it still had another 2k ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Great problem to have Rob...most envy the riders who can start riding in the twisties right from home..Why not try something new,only way to find out..Mets are pricey and wear quickly in the twisties.im sure you can find something that will last a little longer,just not sure how much grip you will have to give up..

curious what you're running on the Strom,and how many different tires you've tried on it
    I have been running the Pilot Road 4 (Trail) version front and rear. Recently got into a debate on the Strom forum regarding this tire. It is pricey and it wears faster than the tight wads on the forum like. (bunch of odd old fkers lol!) Other than the stockers, two sets of Pilots are all I have ran. Personally I like them but you will get some who don't, but for the most part they a liked. If you ride mostly pavement then don't get the "trail" version as the compound in the center is softer than the non-trails. They are fantastic in the rain and give confidence on a wet Dragon.
    And btw, I'm still 3 hours from the NC twisties.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I know this may be a newbie question, but what is Ride-On? I have heard the name before, but can't remember what it is.
    You are definitely not a newbie. Ride-On is a combination product that acts as a ballancer and a sealer. It has a centrifugal effect to it as it is inside your tire and fills the circumferance with the the product. It is not messy and generally found nicely stuck to the inside of the tire when changing it out. I haven't had my tires ballanced in years.
    http://www.ride-on.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    Heres 1 at 10k it still had another 2k ish.

Looks like my 160 but less worn. Whats the deal with all the right turns?

You are definitely not a newbie. Ride-On is a combination product that acts as a ballancer and a sealer. It has a centrifugal effect to it as it is inside your tire and fills the circumferance with the the product. It is not messy and generally found nicely stuck to the inside of the tire when changing it out. I haven't had my tires ballanced in years.
    http://www.ride-on.com/
    That is good to know, and sounds like a good product. I noticed that I even had some cupping on my front spyder tires when I changed them out for something different. I might give it a try on my next set. I will probably be needing front tires for the RSS before the June trip. With the spyder there is also the issue of getting a laser alignment. That cost about $100