M109 Rider Forums banner

Installed a complete upgraded 2011 clutch on my 2007 M109R

31K views 179 replies 19 participants last post by  thevili 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought my 2007 M109R in Nov 2015 w/ 14,000 kms and it didn't take long for me to discover it came with severe clutch shudder and I now have 26,000 kms and the shudder just became more and more annoying. I read all the forums on clutch shudder and the common fixes, however most riders said their fixes only lasted so long and the shudder returned. At some point Suzuki did an upgrade on the conical wave washer and that was the only upgrade I could find regarding the clutch. I checked the 2010 & 2011 for upgrades by cross referencing the part numbers and found that the 2011 had about 18 upgrades on the clutch. Surprisingly the push pin and clutch basket had never been upgraded. Some of the upgrades were adding more plates and discs by thinning all the discs and plates. They upgraded the hub, springs and push pin washer. I figured because the clutch basket had never been upgraded all the 2011 upgrades would be compatible for the 2007 clutch and fit into the clutch basket. Friday the complete 18 upgrades for the 2011 clutch were successfully installed on my 2007 and it was a perfect fit. Saturday I took the bike out for about 5 hrs and so far had no clutch shutter - the shifting was so much smoother - the clutch lever was much lighter- the engine loud clanking noise I used to get when it was idling has also disappeared -it felt real good just like I had a new bike. If in time the clutch shudder returns or other problems occur I will post it on this thread.

I should add that the original parts I had replaced showed some wear but nothing serious enough to need replacing. The conical wave washer was in good shape and had not been flattened. So maybe the original clutch was just poorly engineered.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi, Dean good to hear from you -doing any riding lately. I've been on a contract working this past 5 weeks so I had the bike shop do it. It wasn't cheap but because I have no intentions of ever selling the bike the results were well worth the cost. Labour was standard $250 but the parts were expensive only because the upgraded Hub cost just over $300.

#16 ·
I ran the bike this am until it got hot and then at idle I engaged the clutch and dis-engaged the clutch several times.The clunking noise in the engine that I had with the 2007 clutch is no longer there with the new upgraded 2011 clutch. Stavros took my bike out for a ride with the new 2011 clutch installed and also says that engine clunking sound that was there with the original 2007 clutch is now gone.

#17 ·
Had the clutch shudder in my first C109 (2008) before I knew there was clutch shudder.

Bike was only 3 months old (to me, bought new) with 14,000 km, it started happenning.
Finally, wouldn't shift after another week and a half.

Spent $1000 for suzuki to replace the clutch on my new bike....no issues after that for the next 30,000 km and for 32,000km on my 2010 C109 or 65,000km on my 2012 M109.

You should be fine.

#18 ·
Had the clutch shudder in my first C109 (2008) before I knew there was clutch shudder.

Bike was only 3 months old (to me, bought new) with 14,000 km, it started happenning.
Finally, wouldn't shift after another week and a half.

Spent $1000 for suzuki to replace the clutch on my new bike....no issues after that for the next 30,000 km and for 32,000km on my 2010 C109 or 65,000km on my 2012 M109.

You should be fine.
So far the 2011 M109 upgraded complete clutch I installed on my 2007 M109 has been awesome. Stavros took it for a run and was just as impressed as I have been. No more clutch shutter - no more loud engine clanking noise when idling - pulling in the clutch lever is now almost effortless - it pulls better after you shift and the shifts are real smooth at high and low speeds. It feels like I'm on a new bike.

#19 ·
Good to hear the 2011+ clutch fix your issues. Seems like a great mod to do when the time comes.
This is one thing that's on my list.

If you get a chance I'd be interested in seeing the parts list you used?

Thanks
Andy

#30 ·
I put a new 2011 push pin in only because everything else was new and the push pin was very inexpensive, however, the push pin had never been upgraded from 2006 to 2011 so it didn't really need to be replaced - I was just being safe.

I was just reading some threads from other riders who had 2006 to 2010 models and they are saying there is nothing wrong with their clutches and it would be a waste of money and time for them to put in a new 2011 clutch. They are probably a few of the lucky one's that don't have any issues with the original clutch , however , like a farmer with an old tractor he'll never know just how bad his tractor is until he drives a new one. There is no comparison between the old original poorly engineered 2006 - 2009 and 2010 clutch and the new 2011 engineered clutch with 18 upgrades and they will never believe it until they drive one with a 2011 clutch. There is someone else who just did the same ( not sure if he replaced everything that I did ) mod on his clutch that I did and he can't believe the difference in the clutches - he's very happy

#32 ·
I do still have everything but its all in storage going to BC. I sent a package of info to bicker- chickey and if u look her up on the forum ask her to forward to u all the info i sent her regarding my 2011 clutch upgrade on my 2007 M. Im sure she will b happy to help.

Stillfree

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

#45 ·
Issue with upgrade

Hello Guys, I just completed the 2007 to 2011 clutch upgrade. My clutch was slipping in second gear around 4000. I changed out the complete clutch pack. Now when I put the bike in gear it starts to move. I noticed that the new clutch pack was taller than the old one. Has anyone else experienced this?

#46 ·
Hello Guys, I just completed the 2007 to 2011 clutch upgrade. My clutch was slipping in second gear around 4000. I changed out the complete clutch pack. Now when I put the bike in gear it starts to move. I noticed that the new clutch pack was taller than the old one. Has anyone else experienced this?
I installed a completely new 2011 clutch on my 2007 last fall. I have not had any issues since the install. Did u change or alter the push pin in any way ? Did u adjust the push pin ?

#51 · (Edited)
I have it written down that the 2011 complete updated clutch came with 2 extra discs and some new replacement discs had been thinned down so that everything including the 2 extra discs would stack properly in the clutch basket and all of the discs /plates etc including the 2 extra discs that I used all fit perfectly into the 2007 #2 clutch basket. There were 18 ugrades that i listed and marked in the diagram that i posted in the forum M109R Shop Talk and most of the upgrades were the plates, discs , conical wave washer #12 and seat #13 etc. The Hub # 3 and # 4 springs were also upgrades. The push pin was not an upgrade since 2006 but the push pin washer was. There were other upgrades as well. My stock Suzuki 2011 clutch installation on my 2007 model included all 18 upgrades and I have had nothing but pleasure since installing the 2011 clutch on my 2007 M109R - it feels like a new bike.

#54 ·
I just ordered my parts, and even a bigger surprise is the shop said they would swap out the parts for me for approx $120-ish! This is great, no down time. So I'm going to give this stock clutch a few more big runs then, it will be smooth sailing for the rest of the year. Will update near the end of June.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.

#55 ·
I just ordered my parts, and even a bigger surprise is the shop said they would swap out the parts for me for approx $120-ish! This is great, no down time. So I'm going to give this stock clutch a few more big runs then, it will be smooth sailing for the rest of the year. Will update near the end of June.

Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.
R u putting in a new clutch because ur having problems with ur original 2006 clutch or is it because of normal wear and tear.

#63 ·
Your dollar will buy you a new clutch easier than ours, let's round it to $1000, that means if you bought the parts here you'd pay 40% less, and if the Suzuki dealer is putting it in, let's shoot from the hip and say $200, this will include new oil, then you pay 40% less again, realy nice holiday to ride up here, have the parts ordered, let someone else do the work while you take it easy on the beach! You may need a new clutch by the time you get here. I'm going to put on another 800-1000 miles before my appointment. I've got some video already posted but I'm not realy riding that hard, I'll try and get more. The videos should be able to tell how the bike is shifting. Hmmm

#71 · (Edited)
Woo hoo, clutch parts going in on Tuesday! I'm getting a good rain tire as well, Michelin Commander 2 , 240. I don't have a picture of it yet. I'm getting Suzuki to do the work. This one may be for their records, may help all the other poor souls with the older 9 , as this is their first upgrade job. I'll need to give the bike a good cleaning. Really dirty from the cannonball run.

#76 ·
Have to check the part numbers of 06 to the 2011. Got to go, get ready for work. Ug

#77 ·
The picture of the push pin looks like it already has the 3 edges ground down. Did it come that way, or did you grind it to have ready for the mechanic?
Also if you can take a video of the clutch side of the engine idling in neutral before and after, I'd be interested in how much less if any the rattling sound is, that I think comes from loose springs in the hub.
Cheers,
Dean

#79 · (Edited)

Nope, I'll have the old one to play with later.
Ya I do have one posted some place. I can do another one, may be a few days as I'm almost out the door for work. My clutch sound in idle is very clackety. In that video.
Found the link

#80 ·
^^^^

Dean,I did ride Stillfrees bike after he did the upgrade and it was quieter in neutral for sure..smoother overall feel for sure...he didn't grind the pin,I think I will..
If i remember correctly I think the clutch hub was an upgrade that cost abt $300 but check my notes or cross reference the 2007 part # for the clutch hub w/ the 2011 clutch hub part # . - I'm almost all packed up heading back to Toronto on the 22nd.

#87 ·
Some videos
Before the new clutch

Interesting I have 3 new little videos but you tube puts the same link. Oh well, you'll have to go to YouTube in a separate browser window, or I'll edit later, realy go to go.

#88 ·
My bike's clutch makes a pretty good racket right now. Quiets down when you pull in the clutch.

At 70,000km, will probably reach 90,000 this year, so might look at installing new clutch and clutch cable at 100,000 just for the heck of it.
As well as fork springs, wheel bearings.

#94 ·
Wow !! that is very loud compared 2 mine

This is the original still I have not got the new parts in yet. Are you referring to your new 2011 or your original one?

#99 ·
Comparing it to my 2007 model 9er with the 2011 clutch installed

Awe, thanks, so I will look forward to a quieter 9. [emoji12]

#100 ·
BTW I sold my bike about a 1 or 2 weeks ago and I'm missing it very much. Still can't get it deleted from my signature on this forum. Will b looking at buying another 9 but nothing older than a 2011 model or maybe a Honda CTX 1300 time will tell ........

#104 ·
Awe, man! Sorry to hear. I look forward to your next adventure!

#106 ·
I soaked all my plates and discs over night in oil b4 they got installed the following day.

Okay I'll get oil in the bags, not quite as good as a full soak but it's the best I can do while at moms appartment.

#115 ·
They missed ordering 4 plates, I'm on hold for a day, I hope the parts come today, really want to ride, only one more day off ! Dam I should have checked the packing slip against Stillfree order sheet. The mechanic thought he had to reuse parts, I said no. The parts guy checked and yes he missed ordering. It's all good, another day to hang with mom.

#116 ·
They missed ordering 4 plates, I'm on hold for a day, I hope the parts come today, really want to ride, only one more day off ! Dam I should have checked the packing slip against Stillfree order sheet. The mechanic thought he had to reuse parts, I said no. The parts guy checked and yes he missed ordering. It's all good, another day to hang with mom.

Another day will b worth the wait - I found ur leg bags on e-bay search " leg bags "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.