M109r as a first bike

Thread: M109r as a first bike

Default M109r as a first bike

I expect to receive my motorcycle endorsement next week. That said, l am totally obsessed with the 9. Most of my friends that ride have advised against it. Instead, I've been told to start with something smaller (ex. V Star 1300) and then move up to the 9 in about 2 years. However, I just can't see myself on anything other than the 9. By the way, I am 42 years old. If that makes a difference.

Please advise. Thnx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

People have done it, but I agree with your friends. If you are going to do it, RESPECT THE POWER AND SIZE OF THE BIKE.

I started off with a Kawasaki 440 LTD then a Vulcan 750 and then the 9.

Age really has nothing to do with it.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

I started riding street bikes at your age, and the 9 was my first bike. Respect the power and weight. I have had a few Oh **** moments early but have enjoyed 50k miles and plan on another 50k. Just take your time. I didnt ride mine out of the neighborhood the first 2 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I started riding street bikes at your age, and the 9 was my first bike. Respect the power and weight. I have had a few Oh **** moments early but have enjoyed 50k miles and plan on another 50k. Just take your time. I didnt ride mine out of the neighborhood the first 2 weeks.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    People have done it, but I agree with your friends. If you are going to do it, RESPECT THE POWER AND SIZE OF THE BIKE.

I started off with a Kawasaki 440 LTD then a Vulcan 750 and then the 9.

Age really has nothing to do with it.
    Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Just my thoughts. I agree with the above sentiments. The 9 is no easy beast to tame and that takes confidence and skill. The 9 will give even a mature new rider little room for the mistakes we tend to make while getting bike comfortable. I'd suggest a lighter used bike for at least 6 months. Ride it, drop it in the driveway (bound to happen sooner or later) and then you'll be better prepared for respecting and keeping your heavy wonderful dream bike in one piece. If you decide to go the 9 anyway it'll be intimidating but you'll love the power and compliments you get.

Current: 2014 M109R BOSS, 2005 BMW Boxer Cup, 2014 R1200GS, Vespa 300 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post

I'm with Shane ,same deal here,first bike was the 9 at 49 years old..like you,all I could see myself riding...and like Shane plenty of OH **** moments also...bike dosnt feel broken in till about 10k miles anyway..plenty of time to take it easy and get a feel for it..take a saftey coarse,I did,use their 250 first weekend then the 9 on the next one...saves you taking a big hit on the tradin 6 months later,cause you will get bored quick
    Stav

Quote Originally Posted by Mustard109r View Post
    I expect to receive my motorcycle endorsement next week. That said, l am totally obsessed with the 9. Most of my friends that ride have advised against it. Instead, I've been told to start with something smaller (ex. V Star 1300) and then move up to the 9 in about 2 years. However, I just can't see myself on anything other than the 9. By the way, I am 42 years old. If that makes a difference.

Please advise. Thnx.

I started with a Honda Shadow 750c2. Great learner bike. Rode neighborhoods for about two weeks then took the safety course. After about a month I had it wound out in top gear and figured out that my wrist is as heavy as my foot in a car. Three months into having the 750 I ended up buying a VTX1800. Kept them both, but had no other transportation. Rode in snow sleet ice hurricanes you name it. Gotta get to work right?

Got tired of the weather and took a bit of a break and went back to four wheels after 3 years of the elements.

Just recently bought my 9 BOSS.. it's even more than the VTX was for power and easier to lean. Had to reacquaint completely.

Point is, I don't regret the 750. It teaches you to respect anything over 100mph. The safety course is highly recommended as most the bikes they teach you on are jacked up anyway so if you drop something drop it there. Dropping an 800lbs muscle cruiser would not be fun. Luckily that has never happened to me(knocking hard on wood).

Ultimately it's up to you but I would suggest something smaller to learn on IMHO. Good luck either way and if you do go with a 9 be patient and learn slowly. It's a great bike but when you have 800 lbs that keeps up with 400 lbs rice rockets it puts things in perspective.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cyotee View Post
    Just my thoughts. I agree with the above sentiments. The 9 is no easy beast to tame and that takes confidence and skill. The 9 will give even a mature new rider little room for the mistakes we tend to make while getting bike comfortable. I'd suggest a lighter used bike for at least 6 months. Ride it, drop it in the driveway (bound to happen sooner or later) and then you'll be better prepared for respecting and keeping your heavy wonderful dream bike in one piece. If you decide to go the 9 anyway it'll be intimidating but you'll love the power and compliments you get.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by BKojac View Post
    I started with a Honda Shadow 750c2. Great learner bike. Rode neighborhoods for about two weeks then took the safety course. After about a month I had it wound out in top gear and figured out that my wrist is as heavy as my foot in a car. Three months into having the 750 I ended up buying a VTX1800. Kept them both, but had no other transportation. Rode in snow sleet ice hurricanes you name it. Gotta get to work right?

Got tired of the weather and took a bit of a break and went back to four wheels after 3 years of the elements.

Just recently bought my 9 BOSS.. it's even more than the VTX was for power and easier to lean. Had to reacquaint completely.

Point is, I don't regret the 750. It teaches you to respect anything over 100mph. The safety course is highly recommended as most the bikes they teach you on are jacked up anyway so if you drop something drop it there. Dropping an 800lbs muscle cruiser would not be fun. Luckily that has never happened to me(knocking hard on wood).

Ultimately it's up to you but I would suggest something smaller to learn on IMHO. Good luck either way and if you do go with a 9 be patient and learn slowly. It's a great bike but when you have 800 lbs that keeps up with 400 lbs rice rockets it puts things in perspective.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I'm with Shane ,same deal here,first bike was the 9 at 49 years old..like you,all I could see myself riding...and like Shane plenty of OH **** moments also...bike dosnt feel broken in till about 10k miles anyway..plenty of time to take it easy and get a feel for it..take a saftey coarse,I did,use their 250 first weekend then the 9 on the next one...saves you taking a big hit on the tradin 6 months later,cause you will get bored quick
    Thanks. I think that's what I'm going to do. I'll just take my time with it.

The 9 was my first bike EVER i did the MSF. I heard all the opinions why I should get something with less power and ride that for a year. At the end of the day I wanted the 9. Why get something that you really don't want? Get the 9 and take your time with it. You'll love that you did

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wildman7; 09-21-2016 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman7 View Post
    The 9 was my first bike EVER i did the MSF. I heard all the opinions why I should get something with less power and ride that for a year. At the end of the day I wanted the 9. Why get something that you really don't want? Get the 9 and take your time with it. You'll love thst you did

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk
    Thnx. I've decided to get it.

Are you going to buy it new or used? If new I would go out to Romney, WV. They carry more stock then anyone and have the best prices.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    Are you going to buy it new or used? If new I would go out to Romney, WV. They carry more stock then anyone and have the best prices.
    I was initially thinking of getting a new one. Then I started looking online. I've seen some reasonably priced 9's with very low mileage.

Hello everyone, this is actually my first comment on the site. Just bought a used 2007 M109R. This is my second bike and still a newbie to riding. My first bike was a VTX1800 2008. I thought that was a beast of a bike then gave that to my dad and bought the 9. Get what you really want just be careful, and take your time on it. Get to know the bike and whats nice is that you control the power output on it. If you want to ride slow or feel the power and rip it, its all on you. Dont waste your money on something you will not truly love. Enjoy and be safe :-)

Quote Originally Posted by abuman1 View Post
    Hello everyone, this is actually my first comment on the site. Just bought a used 2007 M109R. This is my second bike and still a newbie to riding. My first bike was a VTX1800 2008. I thought that was a beast of a bike then gave that to my dad and bought the 9. Get what you really want just be careful, and take your time on it. Get to know the bike and whats nice is that you control the power output on it. If you want to ride slow or feel the power and rip it, its all on you. Dont waste your money on something you will not truly love. Enjoy and be safe :-)
    Thnx.

Very Active Member

Taking your age into the mix is likely the only reason I would say go for it but, as others have said you better respect the power and understand the handling. The 9 is NOT a good starter bike at all.

My first street bike was a 1990 ZX6 which was also not a good starter bike based on it's ridiculous at the time speed for a 600. It handled great and had great stopping power. Those 2 things is something the 9 does not really have. Does it stop well for it's size? Sure does but, that does not mean it stops fast. The 9 is not quite as quick as the ZX6 was but it is fast and you are just a twist of the wrist and 2 gears away for 100mph+.

Default First Bike

I also got my endorsement earlier this year and was looking for a first bike. I wanted the M109 but was old the same thing."Its too much bike". I looked at the V STARS and even the M90. I got the 9 and took my time with it. I made the right decision.
    Ride Safe!

Default Thoughts

Things to be aware of on the 109 if you are new:

Torque, torque, torque. If you pop the clutch on a little 250 during a motorcycle safety class, it will likely stall. If you crank the throttle in second on a class bike...it will slowly speed up....The M109r, on the other hand, has so much torque at low rev's that if you pop the clutch...hold on. If you crank the throttle in second...the tire will spin or you will be hanging on for your life. Actually, in the first three gears, if you aren't very gentle with the throttle...it will launch the bike forward....that is very very different than the bike you will take your class with. Beginner bikers are just developing that throttle control which is one big reason that the 9 is not a great starter bike.

Weight. Despite a low seat and stable stance, the bike weighs over 800 lbs...it is a lot of bike to handle.

Handling. I find the stock bars to be a bit of a reach. This and the weight make slow speed maneuvering more challenging...not impossible but takes some getting used to.

All that being said, if you are very cautious and respect the bike, you should be fine. I rode for over 10 years then took a long time off. When I returned, I got the 109 and have adjusted just fine.

Make friends with the friction zone and use it a lot in first gear.

Best of luck. Safe riding.

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mustard109r View Post

Please advise. Thnx.

as a first bike, well, I would like to know more about you? Are you a realy young fellow full of spit and vinegar, awe you are a mature patent fellow in no hurry to kill yourself, lol! Also are you 110 pounds wet and 5.5 ft or shorter, or are you 160-210lbs dry and 5.7 ft or taller? Your additude, height and weight/strength will play a part if this is going to be your first bike.

My advice is; remember the 9 is fuel injected, blipping is not nessessary and may cause back firing and start up troubles. Do not down gear to slow the bike use your brakes. Think of the 9 as a 4x4 truck gearing, use first only as realy needed, expect jerky sensation in first and second untill your use to the extra sensitive throttle. For example in first, no gas is needed on level ground to move the bike, just let out the clutch slowly and your moving, this is handy in bumper to bumper traffic. Go slow on your throttle twist when moving at slow speeds as it reacts like a Jet thus the jerky sensation, roll it slow untill you train yourself on how the bike reacts. Rolling the stock height bike in turns is easy, just point your chin in the direction you want to go and the bike will follow. hit both the front and the back brakes equally or this 700 pound bike will buck you off.

Buy a nice well tuned used bike, then a new one. This way if you drop it you won't be so bummed out! If you find one with a fairing and engin gaurds and bags this will protect the bike also when dropped. Lol kinda like football gear!

Thats is it man, enjoy your ride stay safe and keep us updated I want to make sure your still alive and loving your 9 experience! I so look forward to hearing from you.

in 2006-2008 I remember reading guys using the 9 as thier first. If there still on the forum maybe they will pipe in! also maybe there is a 9 brother on the board that might be available to mentor you! Please
    Last edited by biker-chicky; 10-05-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

Quote Originally Posted by UMphotog View Post
    Things to be aware of on the 109 if you are new:

Torque, torque, torque. If you pop the clutch on a little 250 during a motorcycle safety class, it will likely stall. If you crank the throttle in second on a class bike...it will slowly speed up....The M109r, on the other hand, has so much torque at low rev's that if you pop the clutch...hold on. If you crank the throttle in second...the tire will spin or you will be hanging on for your life. Actually, in the first three gears, if you aren't very gentle with the throttle...it will launch the bike forward....that is very very different than the bike you will take your class with. Beginner bikers are just developing that throttle control which is one big reason that the 9 is not a great starter bike.

Weight. Despite a low seat and stable stance, the bike weighs over 800 lbs...it is a lot of bike to handle.

Handling. I find the stock bars to be a bit of a reach. This and the weight make slow speed maneuvering more challenging...not impossible but takes some getting used to.

All that being said, if you are very cautious and respect the bike, you should be fine. I rode for over 10 years then took a long time off. When I returned, I got the 109 and have adjusted just fine.

Make friends with the friction zone and use it a lot in first gear.

Best of luck. Safe riding.
    Thanks.

Any pics of the new bike?

Current: 2014 M109R BOSS, 2005 BMW Boxer Cup, 2014 R1200GS, Vespa 300 GTS