Water temp gauge question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water temp gauge question

Very Active Member

Default Water temp gauge question

Ok... I find really amazing that two things that are very important on motorcycle engines are totally omitted from the instrument panel on the immense majority of motorcycles , with a very few exceptions : 1) a voltmeter , and , 2) a water temp gauge ... why , I have no idea . I want to know how the bike is charging , so
    I solved the voltmeter omission already by ordering one . I also want to know if the bike is running hot or not , so , the second one , a water temp gauge (not an oil temp gauge) which to me is also important is , and it seems to be , a little more difficult , so I need to ask where I can get one and where can it be installed in a 109r engine , if such a thing is possible ?
    Thanks
    Last edited by josey88; 09-08-2016 at 02:24 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

There are specialized gauges for that, for example "Depo 4 in 1".. this one is from Europe, but I am sure Google will hep you find similar one in USA..

https://www.google.sk/search?q=depo+...sQsAQIIA&dpr=1
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Very Active Member

I found this one on ebay that can work for me http://www.ebay.com/itm/321267701399
    This gauge will monitor oil , water temp and voltage but it comes with 2 sensors , one for the oil and the other for the water temp , but my concern is find where to install the two sensors on a M109r engine .
    Does anybody knows where the sensors can be installed /screwed in on the block or any part of the engine ? besides the dipstick , of course . If I can install the sensors I will order this gauge that will allow me to get oil temp, water temp and voltage , all in one .

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I have a digital zenith air gauge which also has voltage display on it which I have my for air ride-the 1st 10 seconds shows my voltage then it displays my air ride psi- I also have a radiator from Rainy and he sent the radiator sensor which displays the radiator temp it is made by Koso- this is it

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Default Depo 4 in 1

If anyone is thinking of getting one of these,buy the one with the clear lens !

Very Active Member

Guys, I know ... my concern is not the gauge itself , which it can be found on ebay , but the sensors installation locations on the engine .
    Can anybody detail where the sensor for the oil temp and the sensors for the water temp are mounted /screwed in ?
    I would like to know where on the engine or radiator I can install the sensors ... that is my concern

Here is sensor on radiator

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member

I see... well, the stock radiator (mine) doesn`t come with the intake needed to install a sensor , so , I guess that unless I would be willing to replace the radiator from Rainey and spend $500.00 on it or find another solution , the water temp gauge is out of the equation , lol...

Well my cousin has stock radiator and he has Rainey oil/ water sensor I believe when he installed it he just drill and tapped to fit the water sensor in the stock radiator

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by phatm9 View Post
    Well my cousin has stock radiator and he has Rainey oil/ water sensor I believe when he installed it he just drill and tapped to fit the water sensor in the stock radiator
    Still, it would be a major undertaking . Taking the radiator out , and drilling/welding a threaded base to screw in the sensor ... unless you have a problem with the radiator and absolutely need to either fix it or replace it , it would not make much of a sense to go thru all of that just to install a water sensor ... not in my humble opinion , anyway
    Last edited by josey88; 09-09-2016 at 02:10 PM.

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Quote Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
    Still, it would be a major undertaking . Taking the radiator out , and drilling/welding a threaded base to screw in the sensor ... unless you have a problem with the radiator and absolutely need to either fix it or replace it , it would not make much of a sense to go thru all of that just to install a water sensor ... not in my humble opinion , anyway
    Cut 1 of the Rad hoses, Slip in a short piece Steel Tubing with Sensor attached, Hose clamps and Done.

Similar to this

Very Active Member

Hey, that is very doable ... I can do that .
    Thanks , Skid

Find the dia of hose. Type x mm inline radiator sensor to google images. Heaps to choose from. Used on 4 wheelers

Ride All You Can. Life Is Short.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    Find the dia of hose. Type x mm inline radiator sensor to google images. Heaps to choose from. Used on 4 wheelers

We are talking about the upper hose , right ?

We are talking about the upper hose , right ?
    It would need to be the upper hose. The lower would be after the radiator. I think you want to know after the engine and before the radiator.

If I'm being honest, a water temp gauge is a waste of time. It provides nothing more than an additional distraction 99.999999999% of the time.
    Last edited by TRod; 09-09-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    It would need to be the upper hose. The lower would be after the radiator. I think you want to know after the engine and before the radiator.

If I'm being honest, a water temp gauge is a waste of time. It provides nothing more than an additional distraction 99.999999999% of the time.
    I am just thinking on how to prevent the bike from overheating , if that is possible .
    I live in Florida , and , man , the heat here (specially this summer in particular ) is nothing short of brutal because of the humidity , and it is 10 months at year ...a little bit more friendly after the crushing summer months are gone , but humid as hell , all the time . There is still 90 degrees outside during the day plus the humidity , and we are on September already .
    So, I would like to have a gauge that more or less will let me know how things are , heat related .
    Same with the voltage : something as important as a voltmeter in a motorcycle ( which it would let you stranded very fast on the road if there is a regulator problem ,etc) it is not included on the panel gauges of practically any bike , except the luxury line of Harleys ... why , I just can`t see the logic of it .
    So, I bought a voltmeter for an irrisory cost , installed it and now I am happy ; I can check what is going on in my bike `s electrical system .
    I am applying the same reasoning to a water temp gauge , lol...
    Last edited by josey88; 09-09-2016 at 10:47 PM.

Ive ridden the last 7 years in AZ with 115+ degrees and havent had a problem. I kinda got used to knowing when to expect the fan to kick on. Which would usually happen in slower/stop and go traffic. Its a dry heat but the thermostat doesnt differentiate with dry or humid air. Its all based on temp only. If your really worried about overheating you could just pull the thermostat and test each year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I am just thinking on how to prevent the bike from overheating , if that is possible .
    I live in Florida , and , man , the heat here (specially this summer in particular ) is nothing short of brutal because of the humidity , and it is 10 months at year ...a little bit more friendly after the crushing summer months are gone , but humid as hell , all the time . There is still 90 degrees outside during the day plus the humidity , and we are on September already .
    So, I would like to have a gauge that more or less will let me know how things are , heat related .
    Same with the voltage : something as important as a voltmeter in a motorcycle ( which it would let you stranded very fast on the road if there is a regulator problem ,etc) it is not included on the panel gauges of practically any bike , except the luxury line of Harleys ... why , I just can`t see the logic of it .
    So, I bought a voltmeter for an irrisory cost , installed it and now I am happy ; I can check what is going on in my bike `s electrical system .
    I am applying the same reasoning to a water temp gauge , lol...
    A gauge isn't going to prevent the bike from overheating. It will just bug the crap out of you as it constantly goes up and down. You have an idiot light for a reason and there's a pressure cap that will blow off if it gets too hot.

I agree on the volt gauge. But the temp gauge is just not needed.

Way to advise him to give up. Anyone lend him a rope as well? Just do it bro. You want a gauge you just do it. Jeezus whats with the criticism T.

Very Active Member

It is ok guys , I really appreciate the different points of view . I am new at the bike world , so , suggestions and advice from experienced riders is a very valuable thing .
    I will be doing more research and more thinking on this water temp thing . There is no hurry . Most important for me was the voltmeter , and it is installed already . The bike has a powerful fan and it works fine ... it is just a concern on my part , which may be because I think too much or I worry too much , lol...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    Way to advise him to give up. Anyone lend him a rope as well? Just do it bro. You want a gauge you just do it. Jeezus whats with the criticism T.
    There is this place. Where the sun doesn't normally shine. That's where you can put it.

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    A gauge isn't going to prevent the bike from overheating. It will just bug the crap out of you as it constantly goes up and down. You have an idiot light for a reason and there's a pressure cap that will blow off if it gets too hot.

I agree on the volt gauge. But the temp gauge is just not needed.
    Agree. Imo, if the bike overheats, the temp lite will come on. Doesn't matter how hot it gets. As soon as you see that lite come in, pull over and shut it down. Same for the oil lite.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW FAST YOU GET THERE, IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE ITSELF. TAKE YOUR TIME AND ENJOY IT!!

Like you, i wanted a temp gauge and like said above, i was going to use that rad hose coupler but i just flushed all my coolant abd run straight water with purple ice. I live in south ga so i get it.

I belive you are looking for this. http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?partID=223332

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by shrk352 View Post
    Yes, that is exactly what I would like .
    I emailed Larry at revo and he tells me that the kit comes with everything , sensors, T hose adapters , etc .
    This thing is very high quality stuff and will do voltmeter , oil and water temp .

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by shrk352 View Post
    I just ordered it . I really like it , so I bought it . Now to wait at least a couple of weeks for delivery

I just ordered it . I really like it , so I bought it . Now to wait at least a couple of weeks for delivery

Very Active Member

Also, while I am at it , I`ll flush the system with distilled water and replace the coolant on the bike . I called the Suzuki dealer and they don`t have the Suzuki coolant but they use the Honda coolant , type 2 , called HP Coolant , with no silicates . It is already 50/50 mixed , it is also blue , and according to the guys at Suzuki , it is the same exact thing as the Super long life . I would be needing 3 quarts ... around $24.00 plus tax . I would be picking it up later on the week .
    Boy , am I going to be busy with this thing , lol...

Glad I could help.