Secondary Drive Bevel gear retaining bolt sheared off

Thread: Secondary Drive Bevel gear retaining bolt sheared off

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Secondary Drive Bevel gear retaining bolt sheared off

The service manual says pull the engine?

If I pull the swingarm, I should be able to get at all the bolts I need to remove to get the stub shaft thing out of the way so I can start drilling out what's left of the bolt... right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-sEHxHjm9k
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explanation 1.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	332930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	332938  

I can't answer the question your asking but how the hell did that happen Someone will be on soon to answer yours.

There's only some possibility that there is any loctitie on that bolt. I would look at the manual and see if it calls for it there. If not, it might be a lot easier to get out than you think. If the head is off, there's no pressure on the threads and the remaining bit may come out easily, maybe even with a magnet to turn it. If you do end up drilling it, use a left hand drill bit. It might back it right out of there with just the pressure of the drilling.

OK, so what I ended up doing...

Pulled the rear wheel, pumpkin, driveshaft, then pulled the swingarm long bolt. I left the shock mount bolts in and let the swingarm droop.

I didn't have an 8mm hex wrench socket, so I made one.. pulled the secondary shaft off and got to drilling.

Stepped up 3x from 1/8" to 1/4" drilling all the way through and then plugged a snap-on ez out into the hole. The remainder of the bolt spun pretty much right out. Blue Loctite is on it.

..now I need to find a new bolt and pray that just slamming it back together is all I need to do. Bike only has barely 8000 miles on it, so it should be oK? The speed sensor was quite hairy with metal shavings... idk.. Hopefully it's fine. I don't have any money to replace the whole secondary drive. We'll see. I'm trading it in this fall anyway. Pretty sure I might be harder on a bike (any bike) than pretty much anybody would be.. I'm 300 pounds and ride like a 150-pound psychopath. I think a regular old 150-pound psychopath wouldn't be as hard on one of these, just because less weight means less stress on the bike.

Since the exhaust is off, I'm tempted to make it louder.

thoughts?

Finding the proper bolt was somewhat difficult.
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dre319 View Post
    I can't answer the question your asking but how the hell did that happen Someone will be on soon to answer yours.
    I ride pretty hard.. Tend to break stuff.
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evil0990 View Post
    I was riding it and it broke. Probably because Suzuki builds garbage, if I had to guess.

I'm pretty pissed off right now. Can't get ONE FREAKING BOLT, so my bike is now a PAPERWEIGHT that I'm paying $200/mo to stare at as it sits in my garage.
    Go buy a Hardley Ableson. Then you can REALLY get upset at low quality! Oh, and a similar bolt for a Hardley will cost you ten times as much.

Re: how it happened, aren't you the guy who said in another thread that you weigh 300 pounds and you beat the snot out of your bike?

EDIT: It was in post #4 in THIS thread:

Pretty sure I might be harder on a bike (any bike) than pretty much anybody would be.. I'm 300pounds and ride like a 150-pound psychopath. I think a regular old 150-pound psychopath wouldn't be as hard on one of these, just because less weight means less stress on the bike.
    Last edited by HyperPete; 08-29-2016 at 03:13 PM.

I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you. ~Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
    Go buy a Hardley Ableson. Then you can REALLY get upset at low quality! Oh, and a similar bolt for a Hardley will cost you ten times as much.

Re: how it happened, aren't you the guy who said in another thread that you weigh 300 pounds and you beat the snot out of your bike?

EDIT: It was in post #4 in THIS thread:
    I'm still thinking about buying an H-D as a second bike... That new Street Bob is pretty slick.
    I have one payment left on my M90 and I'm keeping it.. it's too entertaining to get rid of. (edited 5/16/19)
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:03 AM.

5/16/19

Boy, I was salty.
    Last edited by evil0990; 05-16-2019 at 03:04 AM.

Is there not any warranty?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Is there not any warranty?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Yes, they are Guaranteed to Get your titties in a tangle..... OP, Breathe bro, no need beating up n your 9. Chop those pipes off as well