No first gear!

Thread: No first gear!

Default No first gear!

Here's my sob story. I'm on a cross country trip. I'm 90 minutes from finishing it up, but yesterday my bike began to have some trouble. At first, when I would come coasting to a stop and want to shift down from third, I usually just pull the clutch and press the toe lever down twice. Well, it would only go to second, then I'd have to release the clutch and kick it down again.
    Later in the day, the situation got worse. It wouldn't kick down into first without coming to a full stop. About one hundred miles later, it started to dislike shifting down to second gear from third. The foot lever wouldn't even raise up after depressing it.
    I took it to a shop and they diagnosed a bent shifter fork.
    I'm looking for some advice - Should I try and get to the coast without a dependable first gear? Does this risk doing further damage?
    Is my ride over?
    Is this bike reasonably repairable?
    Has anyone had this problem with the C?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

It could very well be a bent shift fork however due to the chain of events i am thinking it sounds more like a loose tube nut that holds the clutch basket. You will have to pull the right side case cover and tear the clutch down until you get to the tube nut to verify. I would definitely at least check this before I'd spend the money for a shift fork repair.

I would try do a simple clutch adjustment first, and if that doesn't cut it then dig in. You may be in time for new clutch plates/ inspect tub nut.
    MOD MANIA

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    It could very well be a bent shift fork however due to the chain of events i am thinking it sounds more like a loose tube nut that holds the clutch basket. You will have to pull the right side case cover and tear the clutch down until you get to the tube nut to verify. I would definitely at least check this before I'd spend the money for a shift fork repair.
    This may be the route I take once I get the bike shipped home. I don't have the space or time to break into it right now.

Default Good call

Quote Originally Posted by darko1974 View Post
    I would try do a simple clutch adjustment first, and if that doesn't cut it then dig in. You may be in time for new clutch plates/ inspect tub nut.
    I crossed 40,000 miles on the odometer on the way out here, so I'm guessing it could be time. Right now I'm just figuring out how to get it done without breaking the bank.
    I hope she has another 180 miles in her as is. I'm going to try and limp it to the coast tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I crossed 40,000 miles on the odometer on the way out here, so I'm guessing it could be time. Right now I'm just figuring out how to get it done without breaking the bank.
    I hope she has another 180 miles in her as is. I'm going to try and limp it to the coast tomorrow.
    Good luck and safe travels!

Default Report

Well, I did make it to the west coast on my cross-country trip! yeah!
    And I eventually had the bike shipped back to my home in North Georgia! Yeah again.
    Unfortunately, the time it spent in the truck getting back home was not spent healing the transmission. Boo.
    So now i've got the bike in my garage, trying to decide what my next step is. I'm not equipped or confident enough to crack open the transmission and start rebuilding it on my own.
    I'm too cheap to take it to my local dealer (and besides I'm not sure I'd trust them to make the best decisions regarding this problem).
    Maybe my best bet is to find a mechanic who is working out of his own space. Anybody have any info on a guy like this in Georgia?
    The other option - start parting this thing out and shopping for another ride.
    Any advice out there?
    I need a ride.

I'm not going to say it's not a bent shift fork ( I'm doubting it's the clutch itself , typically when the clutch goes it slips like hell , you never mentioned it doing that ) . I'd start with a few basics like giving a good amount of lube on the shifter pivot points . Be sure the clutch cable is in proper adjustment ( and lubed well ) . If none of that helps you may have to start to take bits apart .. there is a difrence between being cheap and frugal. . So the question is if the simple little things don't help it then what . If your not will ING to try to fix it your self and your not willing to pay a shop to fix it ?? Sell it as a non running bike ? Part it out and sell it piece by piece ? Let just sit for a years while you think about it ?
    2008 c109rt . wolo air horn, gman tre, gman bully ,kuryakyn cruiser pegs, tsukayu jumbo strong bags ,tsukayu 6x9 bat wing , LED head light, driver backrest, k&n air filters, m109 tach, and electric cruise control ahhh !

Default YES!

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Dog View Post
    Sometimes the front motor mounts wear out enough to drop the engine a bit, just enough to interfere with the shift linkage. There is a shift rod that connects the foot lever to the shift shaft. That rod often hits the bottom of the stator cover and can impede proper shifting. Also lubrication to the linkage (inside the rubber boots) can also help with shifting gremlins.

Sly
    Sly, you got it right. That link had also collected a lot of dirt and grime. That boot had been covered with the oil that had spilled out my left side air filter (120 across the high desert kinda does that). Then the oil collected every piece of dust and grime possible. It made quite a hairball.

I was elated to fix my own bike with a couple of wrenches, a rag, and a can of WD-40.
    Then I was mad that I didn't figure this out when it was on the west coast. I missed three riding days.
    Ah, well. Experience is what you get just after you need it.

At least it's turning into some great fall riding weather and I'm back on two wheels!

Last edited by "Hunter"; 10-05-2016 at 10:24 AM.
    "Hunter"
    Suzuki M1800R - no rules great fun

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Sly, you got it right. That link had also collected a lot of dirt and grime. That boot had been covered with the oil that had spilled out my left side air filter (120 across the high desert kinda does that). Then the oil collected every piece of dust and grime possible. It made quite a hairball.

I was elated to fix my own bike with a couple of wrenches, a rag, and a can of WD-40.
    Then I was mad that I didn't figure this out when it was on the west coast. I missed three riding days.
    Ah, well. Experience is what you get just after you need it.

At least it's turning into some great fall riding weather and I'm back on two wheels!
    fantastic! Is it all fixed?

Let us know if you ever come to Canada, would be fun to take you on some great riding routes!

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

My 08 C109rhas started having problems downshifting, I am going to try cleaning the linkage before I tear into the trans. Hopefully it's the same scenario, although I only have under 14k on mine