The old & the new Blue review

Thread: The old & the new Blue review

Default The old & the new Blue review

Hello all, new to the forums and new to the "cruiser" style ride. Previously I owned a 79 Suzuki GS550, 92 GS500, 06 Honda CBR1000RR, 01 Suzuki GSF600S Bandit, now the 16 M109R. I have a thing for blue.

A little background, I used to enjoy racing cars, built some high hp sports cars which were good fun. My friend with a Busa says to me one day "You know, I go faster and have more fun with 12k in a bike then you can with 100k in cars... maybe it's time you think about riding."

The rest is history, I have been enjoying it for some years now, and have all but given up on cars. So I got tired of riding leaning forward hurting my legs and my back, my body told me to switch to a cruiser. Obviously I couldn't ride anything with less of an engine than this. I had watched all the reviews people posted online, and read the articles. People all described the bike as "awesome, fast, quick, powerful, not for beginners, etc."

Well, perhaps the people writing the reviews were beginners themselves. Not knocking the bike, it's got torque and the power-band is good and usable. The thing feels like a new quad with the pulse of the engine, the exhaust note, the ease of shifting and the good braking power. It's so well rounded now in the 10'th year of production that I think it would be just fine for beginners. Coming from a guy who has been 190 mph, and who has been on liter super-sport... this is a welcome addition as I can hop on somewhat comfortably and for the first time just go slow and cruise.

Never thought I'd say those words, but now taking in the scenery is more enjoyable than ever on this bike. Slow speed turning is going to take some practice.. and wide open throttle feels like you are in a paint shaker.. but I suppose that's just the nature of a 'V" engine.. correct me if I'm wrong. I never had one before, so the vibration under hard acceleration feels wrong to me. Is that just the way these bikes are?

Safe riding everyone, see you around

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

For the most part the shaking is an inherent aspect of how big those pistons are, think 454 big block! Some get use to it quickly and some try to remidy it by replacing the softer motor mounts for the harder style. I have a thing for blue too, and Welcome to the club.

Paint shaker was 1 of the items on the engineer's design requirements.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on the new 9 and welcome to the family! You have come to the right place for information on the 9. Lots of great people here and all the info you want! Oh, the 9 will shake when you let it out of the cage.....the beast loves to run.....and pulls like a freight train while doing it! As the front motor mounts wear down, it will become more noticeable. I changed mine at 12,000 miles and they were shot! You can replace them with the stiffer rear mounts, or get a set of aftermarket ones made by members here.

BOTM - January 2016
    2011 M109R LE....Not quite stock!
    I'm only GRUMPY when I'm not riding 1SICK9!

Welcome aboard! Congrats on the new 9!

When it comes to cruisers, the 9 is one of the smoother v-twins. If you think it is a paint shaker, you probably shouldn't ride any of the other v-twins out there! If you are getting that much shaking on a 9, I'd say you probably just need to down shift and let her rev a little more. She'll be pretty smooth while accelerating when you are above 3000 rpms.

I would have to disagree with the 9 being a good choice for brand new rider. I'm 44 and been riding since I was 6 years old, so I'm not a new rider myself. I wouldn't recommend a 9 as a beginners bike, if for no other reason, the sheer weight and size of it. It would be a lot for someone brand new to 2 wheel riding to handle... like the slow speed turning you mentioned. Then there is the low end torque and touchy throttle. It could easily get away from a brand new rider, especially at those slower speeds. JMHO

Besides that, a new rider having a 9 as a first bike will make every other cruiser a disappointment performance wise. (with maybe a couple exceptions)

Thanks guys, and I see your point Poseidon, I didn't consider the sheer weight of the bike under a person.. but come to think of it my lady friend sat on it and couldn't get it off the side stand... haha. I basically just feel that the bike is so well built that it's not likely to leave you wondering why you didn't Re-up on your AAA RV insurance.

I'm about to go put some miles behind us right now, it's a Sunny Sunday.

I'm impressed with all of your bikes (was browsing all the color threads) looks like there is a big aftermarket, my only consideration so far... is pegs or boards. My right foot can't stay on the peg and it's rather awkward.

Got a couple hundred miles on now, and so far.. great bike. Kinda needs a 6th gear when going over 60 mph on flat ground, but I'm sure everyone thinks that. I use my bikes every day, It's not just a weekend or town cruiser, I put about 60m a day going to work.

Anybody know how long the low fuel light will be blinking for? I made it about 15 miles yesterday with it on,it took 4.125 gallons. I'm guessing I could make it 30 miles or so?

to the board, and on the new blue!

I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you. ~Frank Zappa

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Default Pegs

Quote Originally Posted by BearWoods View Post
    Thanks guys, and I see your point Poseidon, I didn't consider the sheer weight of the bike under a person.. but come to think of it my lady friend sat on it and couldn't get it off the side stand... haha. I basically just feel that the bike is so well built that it's not likely to leave you wondering why you didn't Re-up on your AAA RV insurance.

I'm about to go put some miles behind us right now, it's a Sunny Sunday.

I'm impressed with all of your bikes (was browsing all the color threads) looks like there is a big aftermarket, my only consideration so far... is pegs or boards. My right foot can't stay on the peg and it's rather awkward.
    Hello and Welcome, my hubby and I have a 9 each, we both use these pegs, I'm not sure who is selling them now but these are perfect for short and long distances without feeling like a full on touring bike, a bit of sport and a bit of touring= cruiser, lol sory for the fuzzy shot, maybe someone will pipe in to tell us who is selling these now, I origionaly got them from extreme revolution.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	329402 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	44 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	329410

You are lucky to get to ride everyday to work on the 9. You will be impressed with the reliability. We have never been let down on a trip. I seem to go through clutch cables so I pack spares, the trick is to keep the ends lubed and a shot down the line at each oil change. Hubby still has origional. Yes the vibrations is an attitude thing built into the bike, it does help to keep RPM above 3,000 especial when punching it to pass or what not. We just did 12 hrs of fast hyway riding, average speed 60mph with posted speeds of 70 as well which means everyone in the fast lane is doing on average 10 over the speedlimit, down gearing into fourth for up hills and passing above those speeds was the sweet spots of the bike for sure, nice and smooth. I see you have no windshield yet. These speeds for me can't be achieved for any length of time without a shield.

I did learn how to operate a bike on the Suzuki 650 thumper, then the M50 then the 9. My graduation to a heavier bike went along as I learned. I wouldn't recommend the 9 as a learner bike with its sensitive throttle and its weight unless the person was physically strong and with a tall build. I have seen some men on here that fit that discription, and as far as I know they are still alive. Lol.

Welcome and Thank you for sharing your past and presant experience, also your opinion is important to as well. I love your bike! I look forward to more pics of your trips and adventures.
    Last edited by biker-chicky; 07-20-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Hello and Welcome, my hubby and I have a 9 each, we both use these pegs, I'm not sure who is selling them now but these are perfect for short and long distances without feeling like a full on touring bike, a bit of sport and a bit of touring= cruiser, lol sory for the fuzzy shot, maybe someone will pipe in to tell us who is selling these now, I origionaly got them from extreme revolution.
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	46 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	329402 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	44 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	329410

Funny that you should post pictures of the mini floor boards. I have that same type. I also got the idea of the extreme revolution fairing for my first nine from your pictures that were on their website. When I sold my last nine (2007 red), I got rid of most of the items, but could not let the mini floor boards go. I said that if I ever got another nine, I wanted them on it. As you stated, they came from extreme revolution, and are not sold any more.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Funny that you should post pictures of the mini floor boards. I have that same type. I also got the idea of the extreme revolution fairing for my first nine from your pictures that were on their website. When I sold my last nine (2007 red), I got rid of most of the items, but could not let the mini floor boards go. I said that if I ever got another nine, I wanted them on it. As you stated, they came from extreme revolution, and are not sold any more.
    I wonder if someone could get these back in production! They are the ultimate peggs, I wouldn't call them a board as they are mounted to replace the peg, how about a Peg board? Lol ya you and me came from the same assembly line, lol

I think I saw a set on ebay actually, If they are still there I will buy them and have my machinist friend reproduce them if they are popular enough! Thank you all for the replies!

Riding to work is only half the fun, here's where I ride to, if you like photos.. here are some from the last few seasons, enjoy!

Awesome pictures!

You need to start including your 9 in some of those pics!

Bearwoods, love those pics! Now that's Living it up!

I think I saw a set on ebay actually, If they are still there I will buy them and have my machinist friend reproduce them if they are popular enough! Thank you all for the replies!
    That's great! Keep us posted. We do not need another set but worth getting the feelers out there for sure! They have our vote!

Thank you :) I shall try to get the bike in some photos that are just as well. Perhaps I can get some wild bears in the photo, I do bear photography as a hobby... wouldn't that be something! Haha

Thank you :) I shall try to get the bike in some photos that are just as well. Perhaps I can get some wild bears in the photo, I do bear photography as a hobby... wouldn't that be something! Haha
    Hey check out the scavenger hunt, maybe get your name on the tally for a few points, I got my first point a few days ago. Great reason to get your bike and something else in the shot! Pluse we can give the points leader a bit of a challenge lol!

My right foot can't stay on the peg and it's rather awkward.
    first mod I did 9 years ago , 2 pipe wrenches , some rags , and bend the rear brake lever
    to accomodate your favorite position , you can prefer to
    have it under your toes , or over your toes , when I got the bike
    my foot on the right peg put the rear brake lever in the way of my toes, I bent it down ,
    most people here have bent it up , so it is higher than their toes .
    the shine of the lever did not crack , no side effect to the bending even after 9 years.

P.S. Welcome to the site
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 07-23-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    first mod I did 9 years ago , 2 pipe wrenches , some rags , and bend the rear brake lever
    to accomodate your favorite position , you can prefer to
    have it under your toes , or over your toes , when I got the bike
    the pegs was in the way of my toes, I bent it down ,
    most people here have bent it up , so it is higher than their toes .
    the shine of the lever did not crack , no side effect to the bending even after 9 years.

P.S. Welcome to the site
    On my previous 2 nines the brake pedal got in the way, so I cut about an inch off and it was fine.

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Hey check out the scavenger hunt, maybe get your name on the tally for a few points, I got my first point a few days ago. Great reason to get your bike and something else in the shot! Pluse we can give the points leader a bit of a challenge lol!
    I heard that.....lol. Cheeky lil Bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post
    I heard that.....lol. Cheeky lil Bugger.
    Its mid summer time for some great challenges, great pics, great fun! Time to burn some Gas!

Got to to look into that app, tap a talk?

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Its mid summer time for some great challenges, great pics, great fun! Time to burn some Gas!

Got to to look into that app, tap a talk?
    Yes Tapatalk. Then find this forum and join it to. Post and type from ph and upload pics from anywhere.

Ride All You Can. Life Is Short.