Bike to bike intercom...

Thread: Bike to bike intercom...

Default Bike to bike intercom...

I've used a Bluetooth intercom system for a while now and want to upgrade. I'm thinking of buying either the latest Sena 10S or 20S. Anyone that has experience with these? I'm especially interested in the bike to bike communications at highway speeds.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I just got the 20S a few weeks ago. So far, I am impressed with everything except the volume of music without ear buds.

I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you. ~Frank Zappa

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by M109FAN View Post
    I've used a Bluetooth intercom system for a while now and want to upgrade. I'm thinking of buying either the latest Sena 10S or 20S. Anyone that has experience with these? I'm especially interested in the bike to bike communications at highway speeds.

I also have the Sena 20S, had to return it due to issues when trying to have a conversation (bike to bike). If the other rider initiated the conversation, we could both talk until they stopped talking, it would then kill the connection as if no one was still talking. I updated the firmware to 1.6 and that broke the manual adjustment of the audio overlay. Just seemed to have inconsistent issues with trying to have a conversation while listening to music.

Sena sent me another dual pack, have just gotten them installed but haven't tried the communication yet. Oddly enough the "Audio Boost" feature seems to be backward. Enabling audio boost seems to make the sound seem sort of shrill and nothing but treble. Disabling audio boost brings back the more powerful sound with lower frequencies.

They now have new versions of the pc software, mobile device app and device firmware, so I am hoping things have been fixed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos109 View Post
    I also have the Sena 20S, had to return it due to issues when trying to have a conversation (bike to bike). If the other rider initiated the conversation, we could both talk until they stopped talking, it would then kill the connection as if no one was still talking. I updated the firmware to 1.6 and that broke the manual adjustment of the audio overlay. Just seemed to have inconsistent issues with trying to have a conversation while listening to music.
    Seems the 10S has less issues.... I'm reading much less complaints about the 10S compared to the 20S....

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by M109FAN View Post
    Seems the 10S has less issues.... I'm reading much less complaints about the 10S compared to the 20S....

I saw that too as I was researching the issues I was having, but I figure Sena will get through the issues.

BTW, firmware 1.6.1 was released on June 6th for the 20S

I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you. ~Frank Zappa

Very Active Member

We have had the 10s for 2 years now and absolutely love them. The 20s had problems with cutting off in conversations and I think they have fixed the issue now.

I have the dual pack 20s and love them. I did have an issue with the unit powering off in cold or wet weather but sena sent new units and I haven't had an issue with them (over 8 months).
    I also just purchased the 3s for my brother. it hasn't arrived yet though.

I did a ton of research on the 20s before buying it and was very satisfied. My wife and I both have full face helmets and have never had an issue with volumes (not using ear buds)

Battery life is also amazing! I use my bike to commute daily (25min each way) listen to music all the time and charge the unit every couple weeks!

that's my 0.02c for ya, Good Luck!

Roger

2012 M109R, Customworld Drivers Backrest, Vstream Windshield, ISO Grips, Wolo air horn, De-Beavered, LED brake and rear signals, Custom made front led signals, Jardine quick release passenger backrest, Side Mount licence, Vinyl wrapped forks, K&N's, CWI Engine Case Guards, Hard Wired Nuvi, X-TRE, Ridged Driving Lights ..more to follow!

Very Active Member

Another vote for the Sena 20S

Ive got the 20s, did the two pack deal via amazon.

Getting the units to pair together, is generally pretty easy if they are two sena units. If you are trying to pair to another rider that doesnt have a sena unit, it gets vastly more difficult. I find its much easier just to call each other and utilize the Bluetooth to phone feature, obviously you can only do this with one other person.

I think the other benefits far out weigh anything else. Being able to have overlap music, gps, calls is huge, and the ability to share music with a passenger is sweet as well.

I recommend wiring in a solid pair of earbuds into your helmet, instead of using the paper thin speakers (the fact that it has a headphone jack is what sold me), to get good quality audio.

The speak to call works pretty well, so you can hands free dial people, but there is no way to control Pandora or anything else with your voice (you can control you native music player if it has on-board music)

I have my phone mounted on my bars which makes a big difference.

Battery life is also very very good, and its charged via mini usb, so you can charge via your bike (if you have it wired to charge like I do) when your at a pit stop, or you can put a portable battery pack in your backpack and run it to the back of your helmet so you can charge while on the go (Ive done this a few times when I forgot to charge before leaving)
    2016 M109r BOSS, Freedom Sharp Radius, Healtech Servo Eliminator, Healtech XTRE, LED Headlight, Swamp Works LED Rear Turn Signals, Swamp Works Side Mount Plate, OEM Engine Guards