what would you do?

Thread: what would you do?

Default what would you do?

I'll try and make a long story short here...

So I sold my bike today, the buyer was financing so we met at his bank and I got the cash we had agreed on, we filled out the title and bill of sale (one for each of us and also had them notorized).

Go back to my house, shake hands, he hops on it and immediately goes across the street into my neighbors driveway and lays it down. He said the throttle was stuck, and we looked at it and sure enough the cruise control mechanism that I had on it was making the throttle not "snap" back to it's resting position. This has somehow never been an issue for me, or the other people that have ridden it when I take it to get it's state safety inspection every 6 months, or my dad who has ridden it several times.

We took the cruise control off, fixed what we could, and after some discussion I ended up giving him a couple hundred back. My thinking being that if I had to file a claim with my insurance my deductible would be the same amount. I don't think I had any legal obligation to do anything but I felt bad. I am the one who installed the cruise control.

Anyways, what would you all do in this situation? I'm curious. For the record he was very nice about the whole thing. Had he been rude I would have just told him it was his bike and his problem now. I was really just glad that he wasn't hurt and that no property was damaged (other than the bike of course).

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

It sounds like you handled it properly.

- Josh

That sucks brother, but it sounds like you handled it great though. How bad was the bike? Also, when are you getting the BOSS?

BOTM: SEPT 2016
    'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mrtallguy67 View Post
    That sucks brother, but it sounds like you handled it great though. How bad was the bike? Also, when are you getting the BOSS?
    It was bad imo. Tank has a huge dent, both blinkers on that side are broken, exhaust is all scratched up, headlight is scratched, front fender is scratched, peg and brake lever are pretty bent outta shape.

The boss is gonna have to wait, I actually bought a v-strom so now I gotta save up for awhile. I had to take such a low offer on my 109 that I kinda want to wait till the boss models get that low. I was shocked how little I got for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
    It sounds like you handled it properly.

- Josh
    Thank you sir.

Sounds like you handled it just right! You were not obligated to give him anything, but in true brotherhood fashion, you helped him out. Probably was a good thing he was cool about the situation, and I'm sure he appreciated your response! Good on ya bro!

BOTM - January 2016
    2011 M109R LE....Not quite stock!
    I'm only GRUMPY when I'm not riding 1SICK9!

Very Active Member

First, he should have checked everything before riding. I always check the throttle and clutch as well as brake pressure on the lever before riding. So, unfortunately that was on him. Was he on his own insurance? I think you handled it right. At the end of the day you were not dishonest and fave some money back.

Very Active Member

Handled it like a gentleman. 👏👏

Very Active Member

You handled it well but the lay down was clearly the rider's fault. No quick revs after start up in Neutral? Not enough experience to pull the clutch in when the throttle sticking occurred? Not enough experience to manually rotate the throttle back? You were a gentlemen but IMO and as you said, you had no liability or other.
    2009 M109R LE
    2015 Boss tins, Custom speedo and tach faces and LEDs. ISO Grips. Brake Away Cruise control. Cobra Swepts. Debeavered, Fi200R Fuel management, polished risers and trees, SS Brake lines, ATRE, Custom forward controls. HID kit. Ultimate seat and backrest. Dunlop E3s, 250 rear, Plastidipped rims, cobra solo rack

Quote Originally Posted by BigpapaM109 View Post
    First, he should have checked everything before riding. I always check the throttle and clutch as well as brake pressure on the lever before riding. So, unfortunately that was on him. Was he on his own insurance? I think you handled it right. At the end of the day you were not dishonest and fave some money back.
    ^^^^^^^... 100%. In the midst of a situation not caused by yourself, you had a heart to show that brother a great deal of grace. God bless you for that Bro. By the way, NJDEVIL currently has a 2015 BOSS (Black, Burgundy/Red, and White) for sale at the price of $8500, with only 5,000 miles on it. The bike is in pristine condition. You could have the bike shipped to your location for approximately $500, or possibly a bit less.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 06-03-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Sounds like you handled it like a champ. Now refer him to this sight and maybe he can pick up the replacement parts from the members.
    2007 m109r red, E3 250, iso grips, stilleto pegs, V-stream touring windshield, TRE...and the list is growing

Very Active Member She's real fine my 109's Avatar

Good show for the brotherhood
    Good combo for the nine. 265/40/18 or P265/45R 18 Michelin Pilot Sport and Metz 130/70/18 front. Try it, youll like it.
    What other people think of you is none of your business.
    Never judge someone by the opinion of another.

I think you did more than what most would do by giving back the couple of hundred dollars considering you did not get what you thought the bike was worth. I guess the best bet for the new owner to get the bike fixed is to come here looking for the parts needed at bargain prices, otherwise he runs the risk of his insurance company totaling the bike based on the damage described, in which case he can end up loosing in the end based on what these bike demand in retail values and the expense of the parts.

-2008 M109R "The Silver Bullet"
    -2013 HD Road King "The Orange Crush"
    -2015 HD Sportster Iron "TBD"

I assume he had the chance to test ride the bike before he bought it. It was not the throttle boss that caused the accident, it was his own inexperience. You don't owe him anything so I'd say you handled it nicely.

You handled it great, I have a lot of stock parts in my shop give him my cell might be able to help him out as far as gettin her back together.

Andy
    516-359-6789
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

More then fair I would say. When I was in my 20's I sold used cars and when asked what the warranty was we replied " The 50 - 15" the first 50 feet or the first 15 seconds which ever occurs first.
    H.C. Velocity Pro, Cobra Power Pro Black, Cobra Engine Guards, ISO Blk Grips, National Cycle VStream Tour, Kuryakyn Switchblade Pegs, G/M TRE, .....

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman349 View Post
    [...] I sold used cars and when asked what the warranty was we replied " The 50 - 15" the first 50 feet or the first 15 seconds which ever occurs first.
    Now I think, your avatar looks more fitting than ever.

I would say ya handled it like a gent,glad there was no serious injury

Quote Originally Posted by Fraps View Post
    You handled it well but the lay down was clearly the rider's fault. No quick revs after start up in Neutral? Not enough experience to pull the clutch in when the throttle sticking occurred? Not enough experience to manually rotate the throttle back? You were a gentlemen but IMO and as you said, you had no liability or other.
    This is what I was thinking also, must have been pretty green not to instinctively pull the clutch in.

Thanks for all the comments guys, makes me feel better. Still so sad for the bike. 8 years old and no injuries and literally the moment I pass her off BAM