M109 Rider Forums banner

LED lights outlawed....

3K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  HyperPete 
#1 ·
Sort of.

I got pulled over tonight because I was riding with my blue LED lights on. The new law in Texas says you can have LED lights for greater visibility, but they have to be white or amber. I was pulled over by a local cop, who incidentally knew me, just didn't know it was me on the bike. But a DPS officer joined us. The DPS officer said the lights had to be amber.

I only got a warning. But I thought I would share so that you guys knew what the deal was. David (dre319) told me the same thing back in April at the 3 Twisted Sisters ride, but he also said that everyone runs with them on anyway.

Ride safe brothers!

#2 · (Edited)
HAHA I see you from TX.....2 july 4ths ago in TX, I got pulled over for white leds shining rearward under my cowl..WTF My license plate light is WHITE LED. I asked him about that, he didn't have an answer. WTG TX,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,That cost me $350. I didnt have insurance down there. I was coming back here, and the state trooper still wrote me up. Real charm he was...........

#5 · (Edited)
The new law states White or Amber can be used while riding. They cannot be strobing or flashing. SB1918 is the bill that has the provision TRC547,306 that pertains to motorcycle LED lights. It became effective on September 1, 2015.

Since this is a new law that obviously most law enforcement either haven't read or don't know how to interpret, it might be a good idea if you ride with LED lights, pull this law up on your phone and save it so that you can have it readily available if you do get pulled over.

#8 ·
Thanks for this info David. Here's the actual senate bill you described. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/pdf/SB01918F.pdf

S.B. No.1918
An act relating to the use of certain lighting equipment on motorcycles.BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:SECTION 1. Subchapter D, Chapter 547, Transportation Code,is amended by adding Section 547.306 to read as follows:

Sec.547.306.
LED GROUND EFFECT LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON MOTORCYCLE. (a) In this section, "LED ground effect lighting equipment" means light emitting diode (LED) technology that is attached to the under body of a motorcycle for the purpose of illuminating:
(1) the body of the motorcycle; or
(2) the ground below the motorcycle.
(b) A person may operate a motorcycle equipped with LED ground effect lighting that emits a non-flashing amber or white light.

SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2015.

#12 ·
I'd bet a paycheck that MORE people will put LEDs on their bikes now.

#18 ·
(Knocking on the woods) I have not pull over yet because of the LED. Sometimes I leave it on blue/red. Since reading this, I will change it to white or other colors. :eek::D

#23 ·
They came after me when I pulled over for a car wrecked in a ditch, when the DPS showed up, they told me only whir or "blue" LEDs in tx. I've had green for about 5 years and never had anyone tell me anything until I asked about them. I'll probably push my luck[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
That's why I'm not going to change them swat. Like I said, I've had my greens a long time and never had them mentioned, and then even with a clearly written law, we can get different answers. So I will argue it a safety feature if a police officer ever does pull me over for it, but to be honest I doubt that will ever happen. Hell even another officer on the scene told me he had a few red LEDs on his bike and that he would never mess with someone about their bike unless they were just being an idiot out there

#30 ·
I wonder the same thing yoshi, if any colors were to get banned I would see red and blue as a given. Leave the rest alone! I also think colors are safer than white. Whit from in front just looks like a bigger headlight, but you get people's attention when you are shining a color that is not normally on the road like greens and purples.

#32 ·
Here are NJ laws concerning motorcycle LEDs:

New Jersey: Under-glow and other decorative lights are permitted, but only white or amber lights may be visible from the front and sides of a motorcycle. Red lights may only be visible from the rear and flashing or rotating lighting is prohibited.

Reactions: Zoom