raising the 9

Thread: raising the 9

Default raising the 9

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has gone to the efforts of lifting the 9 a bit for better cornering
    We all have spent the time lowering so it looks cool but what about getting through the corners a bit
    Better and faster
    Would a 21 inch front wheel help in this situation or just some raising dog bones

Tia cheers Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Sure, you can create more ground clearance by installing longer spacers inside your forks, going with a 21" front wheel, and installing longer dog bones (if they are even available for the 9). You could also possibly go to a smaller rear tire, in terms of width, to help with better lean angles, and getting in and out of corners, bends, or turns faster. However. The weight of the bike should be a major concern. I honestly can't tell you how all of that is going to affect the handling of the bike, because I've never done those things. Moreover, I've always been of the mindset that every bike was built or manufactured to meet a certain style of riding, and every bike has limitations. The 9 was not built for fast entrances and exits out of turns, but sport bikes are. There has been multiple members of this forum who have tried to ride their 9s like sport bikes, and it cost them quite a bit in bike repairs, bike replacements, body repairs...and then there were some who lost their lives. It sounds like you may have been better off buying a Kawasaki Concours 14, to get the type riding experience you seem to be looking for. Have you ever considered trading your 9 for a better cornering bike, instead of trying to transform your 9 into one?
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 02-22-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Plus, the Nine is acceptable at the stock height appearance wise (especially with the shock set on the lowest setting). I do not think I would enjoy seeing a lifted Nine though. Can I have a "Puke" icon please.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BCRUZN View Post
    , and installing longer dog bones (if they are even available for the 9).
    He would need shorter dog bones. A longer dog bone will lower the bikes rear end.

The 9 is just not made for cornering. As mentioned earlier by another member, either live with the 9 the way she is or get a crotch rocket. There are no mods that are going to improve the handling of a 9 to a level remotely resembling a sports bike. The slight improvements you can make to a 9 may just translate into over confidence in the ability to push the bike to far beyond where its handling limits are and you end up a stain on the asphalt. IMHO do not even bother with attempting an upgrade to the 9's handling. It's pretty much as good as it is going to get. It is a cruiser after all.

However, if you are planning on doing some go-fast moves in a straight line from pull-away, then there is tons you can do to improve the performance of the bike to get some extra HP and torque. Straight line performance is where the real beauty of this bike belies.

Keep safe and just mod it for linear grunt. Just my 2c worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhiler8r View Post
    Hey guys just wondering if anyone has gone to the efforts of lifting the 9 a bit for better cornering
    We all have spent the time lowering so it looks cool but what about getting through the corners a bit
    Better and faster
    Would a 21 inch front wheel help in this situation or just some raising dog bones

Tia cheers Bill
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"

Have you ever considered trading your 9 for a better cornering bike, instead of trying to transform your 9 into one?
    Not bad advice except... the 9 is the sexiest bike out there. :)

Quote Originally Posted by turboyoshi View Post
    Not bad advice except... the 9 is the sexiest bike out there. :)
    I agree with you 100%. What it's not is a light weight sport bike that can be thrown in and out of curves and corners. People need to really look at the 9 for what it is, and not what they try to remodel it be.

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

I agree with you 100%. What it's not is a light weight sport bike that can be thrown in and out of curves and corners. People need to really look at the 9 for what it is, and not what they try to remodel it be.
    I agree. Mine is for Skids and Giggles.

★SKIDMARK★ Chief Tire Frier.

As they say.....to each their own.....
    I like the best of both worlds....

Well to be fair, if someone wants to lower their bike or bag it, everyone's really helpful with their advice. If someone wants to raise it, we should be just as helpful. Everyone's being a bit negative about this. I see that as a bit, hypocritical maybe. I can't say that I really get it.
    I'm not sure I'd be willing to make a drastic change to my bike, but I'm still curious how it turns out for the OP.

Well to be fair, if someone wants to lower their bike or bag it, everyone's really helpful with their advice. If someone wants to raise it, we should be just as helpful. Everyone's being a bit negative about this. I see that as a bit, hypocritical maybe. I can't say that I really get it.
    I'm not sure I'd be willing to make a drastic change to my bike, but I'm still curious how it turns out for the OP.
    My comments were actually related to the fact that each bike has an intended purpose and style of riding, based on how it was manufactured. My strong belief (from having over 40 years of riding experience) is that a heavy cruiser can not and should not be ridden as aggressively in turns and corners as one can on a sport bike. If you see that as being negative and hypocritical, I'm sorry you feel that way. I've always contended that EVERY bike rider should respect the potential of their bike, and be very knowledgable of it's limitations...and I'm not about to change my position on the issue now. It has kept me safe for over 40 years of riding, so I'm going to stick with, and share it with others. Who knows...that very message may save the life of an otherwise foolish bike rider one day.

Quote Originally Posted by stormiezzz View Post
    The 9 is just not made for cornering. As mentioned earlier by another member, either live with the 9 the way she is or get a crotch rocket. There are no mods that are going to improve the handling of a 9 to a level remotely resembling a sports bike. The slight improvements you can make to a 9 may just translate into over confidence in the ability to push the bike to far beyond where its handling limits are and you end up a stain on the asphalt. IMHO do not even bother with attempting an upgrade to the 9's handling. It's pretty much as good as it is going to get. It is a cruiser after all.

However, if you are planning on doing some go-fast moves in a straight line from pull-away, then there is tons you can do to improve the performance of the bike to get some extra HP and torque. Straight line performance is where the real beauty of this bike belies.

Keep safe and just mod it for linear grunt. Just my 2c worth.
    I would disagree with you there. I have seen some guys with MAD skills out run a sport bike in the corners.

Not to say that a rider with the same skills and gonads can out corner a 9.
    Last edited by rynosback; 02-23-2016 at 01:19 AM.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Very Active Member SeannesM109R's Avatar

Well Said turboyoshi...

Where does it say in the original post that he wants a sports bike, all he asked for was some advice, all he wants is better cornering and a little bit more speed, did he ask to go round bends like a sports bike... No...
    Your all so judgmental and hypercritical... What is wrong with being able to corner on a cruiser? You all lower your bikes and rake the forks, and put car tyres on etc... And that's perfectly acceptable for a cruiser is it...?!

If you don't have an answer to his questions then keep your opinions to yourself...

I say raise it, do your front forks mate, that will help, not sure about the rear suspension, not my area of expertise... I say if you can lower it, you must be able to lift it...

Good luck with it...
    Just a few more mods required....! Lol

PM Bill, damguy and ask him how the 21 handles. He has riden on bigger front wheels for years and I would trust his opinion on it.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    I would disagree with you there. I have seen some guys with MAD skills out run a sport bike in the corners.

Not to say that a rider with the same skills and gonads can out corner a 9.

There are several guys I ride with who out-ride loads of sportsbike riders who are caught with their pants down!
    These bikes may be heavy and may be a cruiser but remember the marketing campaigns touting them as the ideal cruiser for sports bike riders wanting to transition to a cruiser?
    Thats because they are very capable.

I love the slammed look of my airride but there is yet to be an airride made that will lift to oem height...if only I had another inch
    I love cruising, but come time for the twisties, I want to have fun, and hold my own with my mates running sportsbikes.

So much more can be said about the subject, at the end of the day, we all just want to enjoy the ride.

Had the crotch rockets and have also been riding busas turbo and NA
    I don't think I ever said I wanted the 9 to corner like a sports bike but was just wondering if lifting it 1-2 inches would improve the cornering a bit better than what it is now
    I am happy to.leave it stock height if someone can suggest how to get the pegs a bit higher so they don't scrape too early

Quote Originally Posted by SeannesM109R View Post
    Well Said turboyoshi...

Where does it say in the original post that he wants a sports bike, all he asked for was some advice, all he wants is better cornering and a little bit more speed, did he ask to go round bends like a sports bike... No...
    Your all so judgmental and hypercritical... What is wrong with being able to corner on a cruiser? You all lower your bikes and rake the forks, and put car tyres on etc... And that's perfectly acceptable for a cruiser is it...?!

If you don't have an answer to his questions then keep your opinions to yourself...

I say raise it, do your front forks mate, that will help, not sure about the rear suspension, not my area of expertise... I say if you can lower it, you must be able to lift it...

Good luck with it...
    The reference to sport bikes came into play, because there's no better reference to fast cornering in the motorcycle world. If you go back and look at my original response, I provided some tips/suggestions for raising the 9. I also spoke about being cautious when pushing the 9 too fast in corners, due to the weight and set up of the bike, and the fact that it does have limitations in the corners. That is not an assumption. It is a fact. I had ridden ONLY sport bikes my entire adult life, until I bought my first 9. I've raced on some of the best and most challenging race tracks in Germany, at speeds ranging from 60 to 100mph while going into curves, while in curves, and while exiting curves. From and since the first day of ownership, I have realized through seat time on the 9 that it can not be pushed in and out of corners and turns with nearly the same speed I had grown accustomed to on my sport bikes. At the time I purchased my first 9, I still owned my 07' Kawasaki ZX-14R, and there were too many times the 9 reminded me that it could not maneuver through the curves nearly as quickly as the ZX-14R.

Furthermore, you don't have any authority to tell other members to keep their opinions to themselves...especially on an open forum such as this. However, since you did, I'm going to put it back on your plate. I saw in your response that you were encouraging the OP to raise his 9, but I didn't see where you provided any answers to his questions. So, perhaps YOU should take your own advice, and keep your opinions to yourself. All and all, I'm more concerned with people being safe, rather than pushing their rides too far and causing serious injury to themselves and possibly others. Too often, people purchase bikes and try to ride them in a manner they were never intended for.

Very Active Member SeannesM109R's Avatar

The reference to sport bikes came into play, because there's no better reference to fast cornering in the motorcycle world. If you go back and look at my original response, I provided some tips/suggestions for raising the 9. I also spoke about being cautious when pushing the 9 too fast in corners, due to the weight and set up of the bike, and the fact that it does have limitations in the corners. That is not an assumption. It is a fact. I had ridden ONLY sport bikes my entire adult life, until I bought my first 9. I've raced on some of the best and most challenging race tracks in Germany, at speeds ranging from 60 to 100mph while going into curves, while in curves, and while exiting curves. From and since the first day of ownership, I have realized through seat time on the 9 that it can not be pushed in and out of corners and turns with nearly the same speed I had grown accustomed to on my sport bikes. At the time I purchased my first 9, I still owned my 07' Kawasaki ZX-14R, and there were too many times the 9 reminded me that it could not maneuver through the curves nearly as quickly as the ZX-14R.

Furthermore, you don't have any authority to tell other members to keep their opinions to themselves...especially on an open forum such as this. However, since you did, I'm going to put it back on your plate. I saw in your response that you were encouraging the OP to raise his 9, but I didn't see where you provided any answers to his questions. So, perhaps YOU should take your own advice, and keep your opinions to yourself. All and all, I'm more concerned with people being safe, rather than pushing their rides too far and causing serious injury to themselves and possibly others. Too often, people purchase bikes and try to ride them in a manner they were never intended for.
    I suggest you read again...
    Just a few more mods required....! Lol

I'm no pro rider, but I have used all my tire up before I felt like height was a limitation. I believe someone else suggested a taller rounder rear tire. Sounds like a good start to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SeannesM109R View Post
    I suggest you read again...
    Some of you guys on this forum are hilarious. Do what you will, and keep it moving. At the end of the day, it's your bike, it's your life, and it's your responsibility. I'm not going to debate with you folks about anything you desire to do.

Have a great life, and be blessed.

I have raising bones on my bike for almost 4 years. They are totally adjustable up or down. I currently have it raised 1 1/2" but not for the purpose of better cornering. I did it for a more comfortable ride. With the bike raised I can run less air in the air ride when I ride two up. 2 years ago I installed new heavier front springs which raised the front about 1". I suppose that all would help in cornering but not a big concern of mine. Iowa has a lot of straight flat roads. The bike handles well even in the limited twisties around my area, the things I have done are by my choice and I will take full responsibility for my actions. Say what you want makes no difference to me.

My 9 is still at the stock ride height, and going from a SV1000S to the M109r I thought my ride would be slower and a little more tame. I couldn't be more wrong, granted the 9 cant go into a 30mph corner at 90, but I have no complaints about the cornering and speed of the bike in the corner... IMHO I'm almost as fast in the corners, entering and exiting as I was on the sv... I understand that every bike has its limitations, but ik I'm more than content with the stock height and handling of my 9..