TD Insurance Renewal 2016 - wow! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TD Insurance Renewal 2016 - wow!

Very Active Member

I will have to find my papers, but last year through Riders Plus my policy was around $1300. But this was full coverage and not just liability.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Well my 'State Farm' just "renewed" my bike insurance= $1420 CDN (full coverage no add-ons blings) a year!
    And that is a part of house and a car "umbrella"..
    Need to start shopping..
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

I ended up switching to the cooperators placing my motorcycle and truck under one policy. bike full coverage about 1300 but the savings really on my truck at just over 800 for the year.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default 109 Insurance

I have my 109 covered by Meloche Monnex which is another TD owned insurance company. They only insure people who belong to professional bodies such as, College of Nurses, College of Physicians and Surgeons etc. In my first year, I only paid $186.00 for full coverage with accident forgiveness. Since then, it's gone up each year and this year, I'm paying $346.00 for the same coverage, despite having a perfect driving record. I called to complain and they said there was nothing they could do about it and the rates went up due to a high number of insurance claims. I told them I wasn't happy because I felt as though I was being penalized for those with a bad record. Once again, they said sorry but there's nothing we can do. I'm staying with them because my rates are still pretty low despite the increases but it still pisses me off to see how we get hosed in Ontario for bike insurance!

Debadged, Debeavered, Tach Relo, Custom faceplates, Stealth LED Turns, Gregg's Sidemount, Coastal Moto Wheels, 280mm, 2" Bones, Freedom P. Exhaust, Derby, Axle Spikes, Irate Grill, Chin Scoop, Croc Seat, Lots of Chrome

Default Insurance in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by cdn109 View Post
    I have my 109 covered by Meloche Monnex which is another TD owned insurance company. They only insure people who belong to professional bodies such as, College of Nurses, College of Physicians and Surgeons etc. In my first year, I only paid $186.00 for full coverage with accident forgiveness. Since then, it's gone up each year and this year, I'm paying $346.00 for the same coverage, despite having a perfect driving record. I called to complain and they said there was nothing they could do about it and the rates went up due to a high number of insurance claims. I told them I wasn't happy because I felt as though I was being penalized for those with a bad record. Once again, they said sorry but there's nothing we can do. I'm staying with them because my rates are still pretty low despite the increases but it still pisses me off to see how we get hosed in Ontario for bike insurance!
    Your annual insurance payment of $346.00 is just a little more than 1/3 of my annual insurance payment for only liability in Toronto ,Ontario
    Last edited by Stillfree; 03-08-2016 at 03:17 AM.

Default Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Stillfree View Post
    Your annual insurance payment of $346.00 is just a little more than 1/3 of my annual insurance payment for only liability in Toronto ,Ontario
    That's insane bro!

There seems to be such a wide spectrum of insurance rates and I don't know why that is. If a rider has a high risk history with lots of speeding tickets etc., I can understand to some degree but when two riders are close in age and both have similar driving records but pay very different rates, that doesn't make sense.

Debadged, Debeavered, Tach Relo, Custom faceplates, Stealth LED Turns, Gregg's Sidemount, Coastal Moto Wheels, 280mm, 2" Bones, Freedom P. Exhaust, Derby, Axle Spikes, Irate Grill, Chin Scoop, Croc Seat, Lots of Chrome

Default Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by cdn109 View Post
    That's insane bro!

There seems to be such a wide spectrum of insurance rates and I don't know why that is. If a rider has a high risk history with lots of speeding tickets etc., I can understand to some degree but when two riders are close in age and both have similar driving records but pay very different rates, that doesn't make sense.
    The rate of insurance your offered will also be determined by where you live I.E. I live in Toronto, Ontario so all other things equal it will be considerably higher than someone who lives in Orangeville, Ontario plus I had a " minor conviction" for making an "unsafe move" in my SUV about 3 or 4 years ago which affected the rate of my Motorcycle insurance as well as my SUV insurance. I had a clause in my insurance that forgave me for my first conviction but not for my first ticket so my rates went up a lot. insurance companies in Ontario always win - we get penalized for all the bad drivers in our area and after no accidents or claims in 30 yrs we still get penalized for the first accident/claim or ticket we get and become red flagged as a bad driver for the next 5 years. Our Government claims Toronto has the safest roads in Canada and the insurance companies claim Toronto has the most unsafe roads in Canada - guess what the Insurance Companies trump the Gov't. I have heard that Ontario is supposed to have the highest vehicle insurance rates in all of North America but hey we can lower our insurance by ( I think ) 2 % if we buy winter tires.

Quote Originally Posted by BradSmith View Post
    I will have to find my papers, but last year through Riders Plus my policy was around $1300. But this was full coverage and not just liability.
    Very interesting, at $1300 for the 9, I called a couple of days ago, they were around $2400 which was twice as much as Co-Op(currently with). Since I haven't had a bike in around 20 years that probably effects the rate, but twice as much as a "non" motor-cycle insurance company really??

I think its really a matter when you call the insurance place, maybe Friday afternoons after they have had a couple of barley lunch beverages it becomes cheaper. Maybe I'll call back on Friday.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcoleman View Post
    Very interesting, at $1300 for the 9, I called a couple of days ago, they were around $2400 which was twice as much as Co-Op(currently with). Since I haven't had a bike in around 20 years that probably effects the rate, but twice as much as a "non" motor-cycle insurance company really??

I think its really a matter when you call the insurance place, maybe Friday afternoons after they have had a couple of barley lunch beverages it becomes cheaper. Maybe I'll call back on Friday.
    If you have not been insured on a bike for a long time, then your first year will be significantly more.....them's the lumps in Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillfree View Post
    The rate of insurance your offered will also be determined by where you live I.E. I live in Toronto, Ontario so all other things equal it will be considerably higher than someone who lives in Orangeville, Ontario plus I had a " minor conviction" for making an "unsafe move" in my SUV about 3 or 4 years ago which affected the rate of my Motorcycle insurance as well as my SUV insurance. I had a clause in my insurance that forgave me for my first conviction but not for my first ticket so my rates went up a lot. insurance companies in Ontario always win - we get penalized for all the bad drivers in our area and after no accidents or claims in 30 yrs we still get penalized for the first accident/claim or ticket we get and become red flagged as a bad driver for the next 5 years. Our Government claims Toronto has the safest roads in Canada and the insurance companies claim Toronto has the most unsafe roads in Canada - guess what the Insurance Companies trump the Gov't. I have heard that Ontario is supposed to have the highest vehicle insurance rates in all of North America but hey we can lower our insurance by ( I think ) 2 % if we buy winter tires.
    All good points. I live in Tiny Ontario which is considered a rural area, so I'm sure this has some bearing on what I pay. Bottom line is, be prepared to bend over and get shafted.

$2350.........Ontario...WTF!!! Somethings going one here, and they claim its less coverage in benefits!!
    **!! Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly !!**

Default INSURANCE IN ONTARIO

Quote Originally Posted by oicduc View Post
    $2350.........Ontario...WTF!!! Somethings going one here, and they claim its less coverage in benefits!!

My renewal was due on April 16th so in March I went shopping for a new carrier and the best I found was thru Mitchell & Whale Insurance Brokers who got me a policy for $950/ year 2nd/3rd best quotes I got was $1258/year and $1398/yr and all are for liability only and I live in Toronto. Also in 2013 I had an accident with my SUV got a ticket for making an "unsafe move" which also bumped up my bike insurance rate. According to all the Brokers I've talked to Wawanesa Insurance has the lowest rates in Ontario right now. Mitchell & Whale Insurance brokers gave me the best rate I've had in 4 yrs and I was very happy with the service I received from them. If you want give Sandi Lavery a direct call at 1-289-278-1605 or toll free 1-800-731-2228 ext 122 or email [email protected]

^^^---thanx...will look into it!
    **!! Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly !!**

I just got my 9 and I'm paying $850/yr full coverage with Intact

Quote Originally Posted by R.RichardsTrucking View Post
    Please share with us your insurance broker.. Thanks , Viliam
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

In Coquitlam ,BC.
    2015 M109R = 1300$ for tags only with ICBC / 557$/year full coverage with Beacon.

Quote Originally Posted by R.RichardsTrucking View Post

Insurance rates vary a lot based on where you live in Ontario

A lot of what used to be rural Ontario is no more...GTA includes Barrie, Newmarket,Keswick,stoufille,Brampton, Bolton,Caledonia,georgetown,Milton and everything from Niagara to Oshawa and beyond...rates are getting closer to each other year by year and constantly going up..soon it will be all southern Ontario ..pricey game we play
    Stav

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    A lot of what used to be rural Ontario is no more...GTA includes Barrie, Newmarket,Keswick,stoufille,Brampton, Bolton,Caledonia,georgetown,Milton and everything from Niagara to Oshawa and beyond...rates are getting closer to each other year by year and constantly going up..soon it will be all southern Ontario ..pricey game we play
    This is only my 4th year with bike insurance and based on what I've read on the Forum and what my few bike friends tell me it seems to me that Toronto has the highest insurance rates in Ontario except for maybe Brampton , however, I'm sure you've had bike insurance for a lot longer than me and I have no doubt that over the years you have seen the gap for insurance between different areas in Ontario shrink year after year. The only way I have been able to get my insurance rate reduced each year is by changing insurance Brokers and Insurance Providers each year and I still only carry liability because full coverage is still too much money. I read somewhere that Ontario has the highest vehicle Insurance rates in all of North America. I was in Winnipeg before I came back here 30 yrs ago and Manitoba has Autopac Government Insurance which never increased very much from year to year because all your traffic infraction demerit points went directly on your drivers license. Therefore you could continue to pay say $800/year for your insurance but depending on how many demerit points you've got on your drivers license you could be paying $100 to thousands of dollars for your drivers license each renewal- I think the maximum amount of demerit points allowed was 24 before losing your drivers license or being retested . Also to remove just one demerit point off your drivers license you had to have no traffic infractions for 12 full months - that got very expensive for a lot of drivers - I'm not sure the same system remains in Manitoba today or not but I know they still have Autopac Government Insurance.

Insurance costs in Ontario are absurd...fraud is running rampant and going unchecked..the insurance companies let it go,payout where they have to,and keep raising the rates..and the government let em get away with it...it's a joke...a high rate of fraud cases are based out of Bramton...lawyers in on much of it also...it's a corrupt system that's killing the honest folks financially...they got us by the balls and keep applying the pressure
    Stav

Insurance costs in Ontario are absurd...fraud is running rampant and going unchecked..the insurance companies let it go,payout where they have to,and keep raising the rates..and the government let em get away with it...it's a joke...a high rate of fraud cases are based out of Bramton...lawyers in on much of it also...it's a corrupt system that's killing the honest folks financially...they got us by the balls and keep applying the pressure
    Truly it's the only business that is allowed to punish all the good honest people and drivers for what the bad dishonest people and drivers do and we can certainly blame our Provincial Government for that.
    Last edited by Stillfree; 05-02-2016 at 07:26 AM.

Wow your getting raped in Ont. Paying only $225 out west in Alberta for basic.

2006 M109R

Quote Originally Posted by Leather View Post
    Wow your getting raped in Ont. Paying only $225 out west in Alberta for basic.

can we use your mailing address

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Default Price gouging for Canadians!

Quote Originally Posted by Tedm109r View Post
    Anyone with TD Insurance (Primmum)? My rate went up 18%! What the hell is going on with the insurance in Ontario. I have no tickets, collisions or anything. I am now at $1481 for the 9 for a year, this is ridiculous. Anyone have a better rate with another insurance company? I am pissed at the bs insurance business, total crooks.
    Ive read all the posts, thanks! Hubby and I; for our 9's only pay the basic with liability. For 5 months they kill us for 527.50, we have not bothered with the extra insurance, ya, risky. We are in the Okanagan Valley. I simply ride with more caution, and keep an eye on the bike, use my Locks and cross my fingers. My gut tells me people will steal a Harley before looking at my 9. Lol maybe I won't wash it as much. Lol

I shop across the line a lot, sure whish I could get insurance there as well!
    Last edited by biker-chicky; 05-02-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedm109r View Post
    Anyone with TD Insurance (Primmum)? My rate went up 18%! What the hell is going on with the insurance in Ontario. I have no tickets, collisions or anything. I am now at $1481 for the 9 for a year, this is ridiculous. Anyone have a better rate with another insurance company? I am pissed at the bs insurance business, total crooks.
    Seriously? I'm with TD (Meloche Monnex) here in Alberta, and my premium on my 109 is $339 per year. I know there are a few minor discounts because of a multi-vehicle policy that also includes my house ... but I can't even begin to understand some of the prices others are quoting throughout this thread.

2007 White M109R
    JSD-3M
    Baron Stealth License Bracket
    DeBeavered

Quote Originally Posted by allytay1 View Post
    Seriously? I'm with TD (Meloche Monnex) here in Alberta, and my premium on my 109 is $339 per year. I know there are a few minor discounts because of a multi-vehicle policy that also includes my house ... but I can't even begin to understand some of the prices others are quoting throughout this thread.
    I'm with Meloche Monnex in Ontario and pay $346/year. Thats full coverage with accident forgiveness. Do you belong to a professional body?

I vaguely remember the Ontario government saying they would look into this a few years ago. Can't remember the details but at the time, I became optimistic that things would change. Nothing did of course!!!!