Touchy throttle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touchy throttle

Default Touchy throttle

HI,

I just recently bought an 2007 M109. My first bike. But the throttle is very very sensitive. Can it be adjust? And is it something i need to have done by a professional?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

TRE will help. Later you wont care...itl be OPEN WIDE all the way.

★SKIDMARK★ Chief Tire Frier.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post

NO S H IT , just twist the happy handle and dont worry weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info. The bike is new to me. I've only rode it a couple of times so far. Weather has been really ****ty.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    NO S H IT , just twist the happy handle and dont worry weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Pretty sure i just have to get use to it. Which is fine by me. Weather has been ****ty here so i haven't had a chance to ride it much since i bought it. Thanks for the advice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Renard76 View Post
    Pretty sure i just have to get use to it. Which is fine by me. Weather has been ****ty here so i haven't had a chance to ride it much since i bought it. Thanks for the advice.
    You will love the 9.............and I agree, ****ty weather. This was 2 days ago. I aint ridin anywhere LOL

You will love the 9.............and I agree, ****ty weather. This was 2 days ago. I aint ridin anywhere LOL

Na.... less you use a knobbly.

Yeah i dont't blame you there!!

The twitcy throttle will pass soon enuf bro....just practice in wide areas at low speed manovers..... and you will master it fine.

The twitcy throttle will pass soon enuf bro....just practice in wide areas at low speed manovers..... and you will master it fine.

That is my plan every chance i get!!

Roll on Summer ay.....

Default Welcome, & congrats on the new '9

Quote Originally Posted by Renard76 View Post
    HI,

I just recently bought an 2007 M109. My first bike. But the throttle is very very sensitive. Can it be adjust? And is it something i need to have done by a professional?
    Another PNW'er, welcome to the club!

Get an ATRE and install it. It will smooth out the twitchy throttle at low speeds and better performance in the first 3 gears at higher speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Get an ATRE and install it. It will smooth out the twitchy throttle at low speeds and better performance in the first 3 gears at higher speeds.
    Exactly. The stock timing is retarded in 1,2 and 3. I believe 4th is the only gear with full advanced timing. The TRE fools the computer into thinking the bike is in 4th gear all the time. So you get full advanced timing in all gears, including 5th. And, as mentioned, a benefit is it also smooths out the twitchy throttle. These bikes are known for it, especially bad around tight first gear corners. The TRE is a very easy, plug-and-play install. Doesn't take five minutes to do. There is one out there that also gives you a gear position indicator, if you lean that way. GMAN I believe?

Even with a TRE on my bike for ten years, I still get caught off guard in tight first gear corners, now-and-then. So it doesn't fully resolve the issue, just helps a tad. Maybe I need a newer one. The one on my bike is a first generation TRE, that came out in 2006. The newer ones may be better?
    Last edited by cbxer55; 01-06-2016 at 02:34 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Some body several months back had mentioned a part that was designed to " eleminate twitchy throttles " they had a link to the part and all ..but I don't recall who or what thread it was mentioned in and I'm not sure just how long ago it was . But as I recall it was a difrent throttle sleeve. Perhaps some one else here recalls it better then I and maybe some one can even give a first hand account of if it works and how well .

Called a throttle tamer . Did not find an existing link feel free to use Google on your own
    Last edited by 1r; 01-06-2016 at 03:42 PM.
    2008 c109rt . wolo air horn, gman tre, gman bully ,kuryakyn cruiser pegs, tsukayu jumbo strong bags ,tsukayu 6x9 bat wing , LED head light, driver backrest, k&n air filters, m109 tach, and electric cruise control ahhh !

Lightbulb Here's a thought

Oh Come ON, Embrace the TORQ boys. Just like when Yoda was teaching Luke to embrace and FEEL the Force! Learn to do the same Yet you know Come to think about it I can't recall of ever hearing, any of my HD Buddys Or reading anywhere on there forums! That Problem with there, throttles Or throttle responses There's a fix Swap, and you will not even get your hands dirty
    Owner of The Rarest M109R, THE 2006 Burple. THE ONE Suzuki Promised, TO NEVER make again!! Do to IT BEING, JUST to FAST for the General PUBLIC!

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    Exactly. The stock timing is retarded in 1,2 and 3.
    I think a more accurate way of saying it is that the timing is less advanced in those gears. I doubt that it's actually retarded.

And, the additional upside is you get more top speed because the lower rev limit in 5th is eliminated. Assuming you can hang on and/or keep your feet on the pegs.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    I think a more accurate way of saying it is that the timing is less advanced in those gears. I doubt that it's actually retarded.

And, the additional upside is you get more top speed because the lower rev limit in 5th is eliminated. Assuming you can hang on and/or keep your feet on the pegs.
    Tracy really? I thought it was being mildly retarded, and have your timing off slightly as well. But I could be wrong
    Owner of The Rarest M109R, THE 2006 Burple. THE ONE Suzuki Promised, TO NEVER make again!! Do to IT BEING, JUST to FAST for the General PUBLIC!

Quote Originally Posted by TORQ View Post
    Tracy really? I thought I was being mildly retarded, and have my timing off slightly as well. But I could be wrong
    That sounds about right.

Was able to get out in DC yesterday and ride the bike for the first time since I put the TRE on...big difference! When i let of the throttle I wasnt slammed forward. Much smoother cruising through the neighborhood at slow speeds. This forum is an excellent place for info and products! Happy New year to Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by 1r View Post
    Some body several months back had mentioned a part that was designed to " eleminate twitchy throttles " they had a link to the part and all ..but I don't recall who or what thread it was mentioned in and I'm not sure just how long ago it was . But as I recall it was a difrent throttle sleeve. Perhaps some one else here recalls it better then I and maybe some one can even give a first hand account of if it works and how well .

Called a throttle tamer . Did not find an existing link feel free to use Google on your own
    Manufactured (?) by G2 Ergonomics.

The one they have listed for M109R is all plastic, with fixed Cam profile. They also offer aluminium body version, with interchageable Cam profiles (for fine tuning), but M109R not listed ?

Not familiar with throttle valves themselves on the M109R, but wondering if there would be any way of introducing a "progressive" opening at the throttle valve itself ? If it's a simple arm actuator, then I guess it could be replaced or modified to give the same "progressive lift" function ??

I find the main issue with the standard throttle grip is it's "sloppy" on the handlebar, which makes throttle control snatchy at best, partcularly at low speed (traffic etc) - hit a rut in the road and it can cuase a quick unwanted burst of torque.

A bit more resistance/ less clearance on the standard throttle grip would probably help to smooth things out, but a progressive cam on the grip is a step forward to better throttle control at low speed.

http://www.g2ergo.com/product-category/metric-bikes/

Last edited by sparklyman; 02-08-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparklyman View Post
    Manufactured (?) by G2 Ergonomics.

The one they have listed for M109R is all plastic, with fixed Cam profile. They also offer aluminium body version, with interchageable Cam profiles (for fine tuning), but M109R not listed ?

Not familiar with throttle valves themselves on the M109R, but wondering if there would be any way of introducing a "progressive" opening at the throttle valve itself ? If it's a simple arm actuator, then I guess it could be replaced or modified to give the same "progressive lift" function ??

I find the main issue with the standard throttle grip is it's "sloppy" on the handlebar, which makes throttle control snatchy at best, partcularly at low speed (traffic etc) - hit a rut in the road and it can cuase a quick unwanted burst of torque.

A bit more resistance/ less clearance on the standard throttle grip would probably help to smooth things out, but a progressive cam on the grip is a step forward to better throttle control at low speed.

http://www.g2ergo.com/product-category/metric-bikes/

Like many FI engines, the M109 already has a progressive cam on the throttle body. Even so, it's still pretty touchy.

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    Like many FI engines, the M109 already has a progressive cam on the throttle body. Even so, it's still pretty touchy.
    ...I didn't know this - thanks for the insight

So I wonder if anyone here has tried one of these G2 twist grips ?

Wonder if there is a way to take the sloppiness out of the standard twist grip

Very Active Member Nitro3custom's Avatar

I tightend the cable up at the throttle body until there was almost no play at the grip. Made a big difference. Doesn't seem to be that lag and then hit on the gas at low speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro3custom View Post
    I tightend the cable up at the throttle body until there was almost no play at the grip. Made a big difference. Doesn't seem to be that lag and then hit on the gas at low speeds.
    I did the same. Mine had plenty to correct. .

Just went and checked it again....1 full turn after 2 yrs. Might have been leaning on full throttle a bit much and stretched it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by sparklyman View Post
    ...I didn't know this - thanks for the insight

So I wonder if anyone here has tried one of these G2 twist grips ?

Wonder if there is a way to take the sloppiness out of the standard twist grip
    Some electrical tape on the handlebar. I had an aluminum grip that was pretty loose so I put a few wraps of electrical tape on it and it tightened it up and stopped the rattle noise of the metal grip on the metal bar.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1r View Post

I had the throttle tamer on mine as well as a TRE...they helped considerably...

The tre made a great improvement on it , I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it was a death trap before it but it was way scary at times , esp when you were not expecting it . It still gives an unfavorable lunge now and then . But not near what it did before the tre .. When I put the electric cruise control on I adjusted the cables to a nearly perfect level ( easy to do when you have the bike torn down to the throttle bodies ) and that even made it a tiny bit better .
    2008 c109rt . wolo air horn, gman tre, gman bully ,kuryakyn cruiser pegs, tsukayu jumbo strong bags ,tsukayu 6x9 bat wing , LED head light, driver backrest, k&n air filters, m109 tach, and electric cruise control ahhh !

Has anyone tried a dampening grease to lessen the touchy throttle response? Something like what's seen in the video below? I've installed a atre, and a throttle tamer and it's helped a bit but still not to my liking for city riding in 1st and 2nd. For my "twist the happy stick and be happy" folks. I love the torque and power, I just want to apply it when I want and not accidentally when I hit a bump in the road. Also any other suggestions that don't involve giving up my 9 would be welcome. Thanks

https://youtu.be/9RqvtxPY5aQ