Pro EVO Shift Star Kit feedback from anyone who has installed this kit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro EVO Shift Star Kit feedback from anyone who has installed this kit

Default Pro EVO Shift Star Kit feedback from anyone who has installed this kit

I'm about to purchase a M109R Pro Evo Shift Star kit (S95) from Swamp Works Inc. $129.99 US comes with gasket / gear/ spring w/ arm and before I do I would like some feedback from riders who have actually installed this kit on their M109 R , please. I have a 2007 M109R w/ 15,400 KMs on it and I find if I shift into 2nd gear around 20 km it will shift very smoothly but sometimes I forget or I'am in more of a rush and shift into 2nd gear at 40 km or higher and that's when I get a very bad shift & probably do damage to the forks etc so I want to eliminate this. If I add the Pro Star shift kit will I be able to shift into 2nd gear smoothly and consistently at higher than 20 Km speeds ? Thanks for any fedback !
    Last edited by Stillfree; 12-31-2015 at 07:49 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

It will help..I never installed this on my 07 but the shifting never really smoothed out till around 20,000kms... Been shifting great ever since..can't tell you how frustrated I was for those first 15K...

everyone that has it says it helps..
    Stav

I installed mine about 3 years ago- it helps shifting easier from 1st-2nd and finding neutral, you won't be disappointed

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I installed one on my 2008 in 2009. It made a big difference, I was very glad I installed it.

- My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

Have an 07 with 48k on it. Its been on for 5 years and 35k+ miles. Well worth the price IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I installed it on my 2007 bike, it was worthwhile to do it.
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

I didn't install mine but it does help make the shift shorter and easier
    06 custom, dripping in chrome....lowered front and rear ....160/280....custom paint....:BOTM AUG 2014

I consider it a very valuable upgrade. Now it won't get rid of the clunky shift altogether it will be a huge improvement to stock. To help with that clunk i found that reving the throttle just as i start shifting helped it shift very smooth, Click, and I'm in second gear with factory pro installed. Compared to the stock CLUNKKGRRRRCLank, am i in second gear Without the upgrade.
    I'd like to add; If your transmission already has damage where its slipping out of second or third i.e. bent shift forks.....the factory pro shift Star may not help much in that situation.
    Last edited by Latinrascal; 01-03-2016 at 10:51 AM.

I have in on my 08 along with the oilite bushing on the shifter from Gman.

Very Active Member

on my 07 for ~50,000 miles ..... a nice improvement over stock.

Banned

great improvement on shifting, harder to find neutral though, at least for me. I like it

Well worth the $$. It makes the shifting crisper and it even seems like a shorter shift. You just barely need to touch the chifter when down shifting. This and MANY other great mods are listed in the bang for the buck mod thread.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Default Pro Evo Shift Star kit

Thanks to everyone for all your positive feed back because of your help I have ordered the "Pro Evo Star Kit ", however, even though all the add pictures include the arm with the spring I've been told it's an old picture and no longer included for the price USD $119.99. I was also told it's not necessary to have a new arm and it would cost another $30 USD to $40 USD to add it. With only 15,400 KM on the bike I took the chance that he maybe right. Can't see the arm bearing needing to be replaced at 15,400 KM. Total cost all in including shipping was $149.14 USD or Canadian Dollars $206.56. Being that our now $50 is the new $20 I was able to rationalize , only to make me feel better , that the difference isn't too severe. However , I think I will wait awhile ( maybe a long while ) before I order anything else from the states that costs more than $60.00. The Pro Star Kit I felt was necessary to prevent any further damage I may cause to the forks and the other higher end mods on my wish list can wait. To save money and make up for the difference in currency I will install the Star kit myself before spring and let everyone know if it was a good fix or not. Thanks again for all your help - this is a great forum with a lot of good people on it and I'm proud/happy to be a member. HAPPY NEW YEAR !
    Last edited by Stillfree; 01-03-2016 at 07:28 PM.

You don't need the arm because the stock one is pretty much the same and none of the kits have ever had the arm that im aware of since it was discovered that the GSXR part kit fit the m109. The magic is in the star. It is smaller then stock which makes the magic happen. You wont be sorry.

One last thing that Nemo stated about finding neutral.....this kit DOES in fact Make it harder to find neutral because it wants to go to second so easily. You have to find the balance where neutral is, which may take a while for you to learn how to quickly get it into neutral. Im not gonna lie, There we're a few occasions that made me look like i did not know how to ride in front of a bunch of riders as i sat there searching for neutral but after getting use to the new shifting its pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    You don't need the arm because the stock one is pretty much the same and none of the kits have ever had the arm that im aware of since it was discovered that the GSXR part kit fit the m109. The magic is in the star. It is smaller then stock which makes the magic happen. You wont be sorry.

One last thing that Nemo stated about finding neutral.....this kit DOES in fact Make it harder to find neutral because it wants to go to second so easily. You have to find the balance where neutral is, which may take a while for you to learn how to quickly get it into neutral. Im not gonna lie, There we're a few occasions that made me look like i did not know how to ride in front of a bunch of riders as i sat there searching for neutral but after getting use to the new shifting its pretty easy.

Thanks, it sounds all good to me - looking for neutral for awhile can't be nearly as embarrassing as when I miss my 2nd gear smooooth shift besides in the last 3 years since I started riding I've already had many many funny & embarrassing moments and none were as bad as missing 2nd gear so your news is good news to me , LOL

Amazon has them for 113$ shipped

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    It will help..I never installed this on my 07 but the shifting never really smoothed out till around 20,000kms... Been shifting great ever since..can't tell you how frustrated I was for those first 15K...

everyone that has it says it helps..

Some things get better with age our transmitions do shift better as you hit 15k or so as far as our bodys not so much!

yup worth the money for sure

Default Pro Evo Star Kit installed

Pro Evo Star Kit for 2007 M109R w/ 15,640 KMS was installed in late Jan 2016 Gear and Spring only. Since being installed I've had the bike out for 5-6 times at least a min 4 hrs each time in the city so I've done lots of shifting but by no means an extreme amount. Before I installed the Star Kit I had some errors shifting from first to second after the installation I find my shift from first to second to be a lot smoother and seems to get better the more it's used. Before the installation I could only get a smooth shift below 20 km and after the installation so far I can get a smooth shift up to 40 km. I still make the odd bad shift ( driver error ) so it's not perfect for me yet but much better. I have not noticed any difference in down shifting and it has always been smooth when down shifting and still is. I was warned before the installation that I may have a problem finding neutral after the installation but I have personally not had any problems finding neutral. It is noticeably a better bike now since the installation , however, it was a great bike to begin with and now it's just a little bit better. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't have high expectations.
    Last edited by Stillfree; 03-13-2016 at 03:49 PM.

​its worth it!

Very Active Member

Ordered one from Swamp Works last night for $100 shipped. Looking forward to seeing the results. First and second are pretty clunky at times.

Very Active Member

Factory Pro, who makes the star, apparently are a bunch of idiots. I did the very first one on the M109r and got it at half price to do a "how to" for them. I wrote the instructions up in detail, and gave it to Factory Pro who had it on their website for a long time, with my permission. For whatever reason, at some point, they removed it put up some lame 1 page instruction sheet. Twice recently, I have had people on here hit me up for help. I have emailed the document that I wrote up. I just saw this thread so feel free to use and pass this link along to anyone that it.

http://happypaws-pet.com/m109/shifts...structions.pdf

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigpapaM109 View Post
    Factory Pro, who makes the star, apparently are a bunch of idiots. I did the very first one on the M109r and got it at half price to do a "how to" for them. I wrote the instructions up in detail, and gave it to Factory Pro who had it on their website for a long time, with my permission. For whatever reason, at some point, they removed it put up some lame 1 page instruction sheet. Twice recently, I have had people on here hit me up for help. I have emailed the document that I wrote up. I just saw this thread so feel free to use and pass this link along to anyone that it.

http://happypaws-pet.com/m109/shifts...structions.pdf

Wow great install instructions! Maybe get this done next week?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xfire68 View Post
    Wow great install instructions! Maybe get this done next week?
    Glad to be of help.

Quote Originally Posted by NSRiar View Post
    Amazon has them for 113$ shipped
    I looked on Amazon but couldn't find it. If you can find it again, would you please post a link? Thanks.

Debadged, Debeavered, Tach Relo, Custom faceplates, Stealth LED Turns, Gregg's Sidemount, Coastal Moto Wheels, 280mm, 2" Bones, Freedom P. Exhaust, Derby, Axle Spikes, Irate Grill, Chin Scoop, Croc Seat, Lots of Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by WIDE LOAD View Post
    Some things get better with age our transmitions do shift better as you hit 15k or so as far as our bodys not so much!
    Well, you can take care of your body by working out and watching what you eat. Also drink a lot of water, and lay off the bad-for-you soda pop. I'm 54 and feel frickin great. Not lecturing, do what you like. But if you want to feel good, no aches and pains, you have to take care of what the lord gave you.

Transmission, yup, gets better with age. Mine's got over 25,000 and no shift star. Don't need it either, mine shifts great. First-to-second is always a tad harder than the rest, but I can do it smoothly without thinking about it. Used to have to think about it, now it comes naturally.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING
    White 2004 Ford Lightning
    Blue/Black 2007 Ford Mustang
    Red/Black 1998 Ford Ranger

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdn109 View Post
    I looked on Amazon but couldn't find it. If you can find it again, would you please post a link? Thanks.
    Only $100 shipped to the States. Not sure what it would be to Canada?. Best deal out there. http://www.swampworksinc.com/m109r-p...hips-same-day/

Quote Originally Posted by Xfire68 View Post
    Only $100 shipped to the States. Not sure what it would be to Canada?. Best deal out there. http://www.swampworksinc.com/m109r-p...hips-same-day/
    Thanks, that is a good deal. They will ship to Canada no problem.

Debadged, Debeavered, Tach Relo, Custom faceplates, Stealth LED Turns, Gregg's Sidemount, Coastal Moto Wheels, 280mm, 2" Bones, Freedom P. Exhaust, Derby, Axle Spikes, Irate Grill, Chin Scoop, Croc Seat, Lots of Chrome

Bought my EVO Star Gear Kit in December 31st, 2015 from Swamp Works Inc. - on my bill it shows I paid a whopping $149.14 USD at that time converted to CDN $206.56 all in. Before I installed the EVO Star Gear Kit I could shift smoothly into second gear between 2,000 to 2,500 RPM - after installing it I shifted smoothly to second gear between 3,000 to 3,500 RPM the bike is a 2007 & had about 15,300 KM on it at the time I installed the Star Gear. For me it was worth installing ,however, I don`t think anyone should have high expectations that it`s going to make a huge difference shifting into second gear. Lot`s of riders that never installed the EVO Star Gear Kit tell me that after 20,000 to 25,000 kms they don`t have that problem anymore.
    Last edited by Stillfree; 05-26-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Very Active Member

I just finished installing the star and man I am impressed! I screwed up my conversion from inch lbs to foot lbs so I over torqued the arm and star which made it impossible to get it into neutral. I did not figure my mistake out on my own I contacted Swamp Works on Facebook and Andy got back to me right away with an idea of what he thought it could be. I checked and adjusted my torque wrench and all was well.

Finding neutral is a breeze and 1st to 2nd is no longer a clunk but rather a solid positive shift. All the other gears are smooth as butter. Downshifting is 1000% better.

I know some of you said that in time the trans smooths out but it just seemed like (To me) it was going to cause damage with how hard it shifted into second and downshifts were hard as well.

Now I just need to get a fuel management system and this thing should be just right!

Thanks Swamp Works! Fast shipping, best price ($100 shipped), and great customer service!