Pro EVO Shift Star Kit feedback from anyone who has installed this kit - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pro EVO Shift Star Kit feedback from anyone who has installed this kit

Default try double clutching

[QUOTE=Xfire68;3594330]I just finished installing the star and man I am impressed! I screwed up my conversion from inch lbs to foot lbs so I over torqued the arm and star which made it impossible to get it into neutral. I did not figure my mistake out on my own I contacted Swamp Works on Facebook and Andy got back to me right away with an idea of what he thought it could be. I checked and adjusted my torque wrench and all was well.

Finding neutral is a breeze and 1st to 2nd is no longer a clunk but rather a solid positive shift. All the other gears are smooth as butter. Downshifting is 1000% better.

I know some of you said that in time the trans smooths out but it just seemed like (To me) it was going to cause damage with how hard it shifted into second and downshifts were hard as well.

Now I just need to get a fuel management system and this thing should be just right!

Thanks Swamp Works! Fast shipping, best price ($100 shipped), and great customer service![/QUOTE

Just double clutch it from first to second. You will get a butter smooth shift at any RPM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stillfree View Post
    I'm about to purchase a M109R Pro Evo Shift Star kit (S95) from Swamp Works Inc. $129.99 US comes with gasket / gear/ spring w/ arm and before I do I would like some feedback from riders who have actually installed this kit on their M109 R , please. I have a 2007 M109R w/ 15,400 KMs on it and I find if I shift into 2nd gear around 20 km it will shift very smoothly but sometimes I forget or I'am in more of a rush and shift into 2nd gear at 40 km or higher and that's when I get a very bad shift & probably do damage to the forks etc so I want to eliminate this. If I add the Pro Star shift kit will I be able to shift into 2nd gear smoothly and consistently at higher than 20 Km speeds ? Thanks for any fedback !
    It's harder to find neutral. Shorter throw, at least for me...............

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe1 View Post
    It's harder to find neutral. Shorter throw, at least for me...............
    I have the same issue. But I have found that if I fine tune the clutch cable it seems to find neutral easier. And most of the times its easier to go to 2nd then back into neutral for me anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I have the same issue. But I have found that if I fine tune the clutch cable it seems to find neutral easier. And most of the times its easier to go to 2nd then back into neutral for me anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    I agree with M109Dreamer sometimes when you shift up too hard and pass neutral to 2nd gear it's easier to just shift down from 2nd gear to neutral - since I installed the EVO star gear when I shift from 1st to neutral I always do it lightly then I have no problems finding neutral

I installed the shift star earlier this week and the job was super simple....30-45 mins at most, but to me, improvement is moderate at best. I still get the clunk-grind-clunk when going from 1st to 2nd sometimes. I guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
    I installed the shift star earlier this week and the job was super simple....30-45 mins at most, but to me, improvement is moderate at best. I still get the clunk-grind-clunk when going from 1st to 2nd sometimes. I guess time will tell.
    I also have the Evo Star Gear installed and afterwards I started experimenting with adjusting the clutch from the bottom of the cable - started with the 1/2 inch gap at the clutch handle as per the service manual instructions then I slowly reduce the gap at the clutch handle until I got a very light clutch peddle shift to neutral and from 1st and 2nd. It also removed the loud clunk I used to have when I shifted. Now with just a light touch on the clutch pedal it shifts easily from 1st or 2nd to neutral without any clunk in fact I don't even hear it shift to neutral anymore. It also reduced almost all of the loud clunk I used to get when shifting from 1st to 2nd .

Quote Originally Posted by Stillfree View Post
    I also have the Evo Star Gear installed and afterwards I started experimenting with adjusting the clutch from the bottom of the cable - started with the 1/2 inch gap at the clutch handle as per the service manual instructions then I slowly reduce the gap at the clutch handle until I got a very light clutch peddle shift to neutral and from 1st and 2nd. It also removed the loud clunk I used to have when I shifted. Now with just a light touch on the clutch pedal it shifts easily from 1st or 2nd to neutral without any clunk in fact I don't even hear it shift to neutral anymore. It also reduced almost all of the loud clunk I used to get when shifting from 1st to 2nd .
    That won't make it too tight and cause premature wear on the clutch?

That won't make it too tight and cause premature wear on the clutch?
    I don't see how it could - the service manual calls for clutch lever play at 10 mm to 15 mm - I'm just under 10 mm

I still get the clunk-grind-clunk when going from 1st to 2nd sometimes. I guess time will tell.
    I do not know what the mileage is on your bike.
    I install the Shift star kit many miles ago, it did improve shifting from 1st o 2nd but it took me many miles more to complete the break-in of the gears. With time it will improve.
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Quote Originally Posted by Dommy View Post
    I do not know what the mileage is on your bike.
    I install the Shift star kit many miles ago, it did improve shifting from 1st o 2nd but it took me many miles more to complete the break-in of the gears. With time it will improve.

It's an '09 with 7,200 miles on it. Maybe I'll just keep riding and see if she smoothes out :)

Hey guys, So I had a 2008 that I put the shift star on and loved it. Now Ive upgraded to a 2018 and Ive only put about 700 mi on it so far and have had a few slips but figured it was me. My question is have they fixed this issue or would I benefit from installing it on this one? It just seems it should have been worked out by now. Of course I think they should've added a 6th gear by now to but hey Im not running the place.
    K&N Intake, Vance & Hines Big Shots, PC3, JSD,Shift kit Evo Star, Gel Seats, Smoked Lenses, Iso Grips with Spikes, De-Beavered, Highway Bars, Stainless Swing Arm Cover, Kewl Metal 2" Risers and end cap tach mount, Barnett Clutch and Throttle Cables,Pair Valve Block Off Kit, Bio-Hazard Derby Cover, CA Integrated Taillight, Webslinger speedo & Tach, Chrome Driveshaft Cover, Kuryo Skull Pegs,03:05 AM BlkM109r Paint Job

Quote Originally Posted by lostbones View Post
    Hey guys, So I had a 2008 that I put the shift star on and loved it. Now Ive upgraded to a 2018 and Ive only put about 700 mi on it so far and have had a few slips but figured it was me. My question is have they fixed this issue or would I benefit from installing it on this one? It just seems it should have been worked out by now. Of course I think they should've added a 6th gear by now to but hey Im not running the place.
    My '19 still has the clunky shifting and I've missed a shift twice so far. I do not believe they intend on changing anything serious about this bike. Kind of disappointing but it is what it is.
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

Ok, so I guess Ill add that to the list of add ons. Ha Ha. Atleast its an easy install. Thanks for the response.
    K&N Intake, Vance & Hines Big Shots, PC3, JSD,Shift kit Evo Star, Gel Seats, Smoked Lenses, Iso Grips with Spikes, De-Beavered, Highway Bars, Stainless Swing Arm Cover, Kewl Metal 2" Risers and end cap tach mount, Barnett Clutch and Throttle Cables,Pair Valve Block Off Kit, Bio-Hazard Derby Cover, CA Integrated Taillight, Webslinger speedo & Tach, Chrome Driveshaft Cover, Kuryo Skull Pegs,03:05 AM BlkM109r Paint Job

Default shift star

hey I was wondering if you installed it yet? And was there a difference on a newer model bike? I have a 14' and I'm getting ready to install one.Just trying to hunt down the best price first. Going to install a hydraulic clutch at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by lostbones View Post
    Ok, so I guess Ill add that to the list of add ons. Ha Ha. Atleast its an easy install. Thanks for the response.

Since most this thread from 2016 where best price to get them anymore?

I found this of course its $200 now!
    https://www.meancycles.com/store/par...?partID=214952
    ~Stitch

2008 M109R2 AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. by STARK INDUSTRIES

Yeah thanks I emailed them earlier today and yep it’s in stock and ready to ship. Thanks