Spike air cleaners?

Thread: Spike air cleaners?

Default Spike air cleaners?

Sawca few of the aftermarket spike air cleaners... and I was wondering if anyone had any positive or negative feedback in them? I'm on the fence whether I like them or not, but if they hurt performance in any way...I'd like to know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I believe it was Thunder Manufacturing that posted the biggest gain with one of the spiked intakes IIRC.

Without an adapter, one of the spikes will be farther forward on the bike than the other. Also, depending on which ones you get and depending on if you use an adapter, they may not be compatible with highway bars.

On a side note, they are a little scary when they fall off of the bike in front of you at 75mph on the interstate at MAM !!!!

Hahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr-rider137 View Post
    Sawca few of the aftermarket spike air cleaners... and I was wondering if anyone had any positive or negative feedback in them? I'm on the fence whether I like them or not, but if they hurt performance in any way...I'd like to know.
    Instead of the spike air intakes, I recommend you take a look at the Thunder Tornado air intakes. They greatly improve the performance of the M109R, and when installed, they match perfectly on both sides of the bike. I have them on both of my M109Rs, because they look better and perform better than all the other intakes I have tried. I've seen posts on here in the past, stating the spike air intakes positioning don't match on both sides of the bike, when they are installed, they don't improve performance much, if any, and the chrome on the spike air intakes is of poor quality. MeanCycles has the Thunder Tornado air intakes on their website.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I have them on my bike. No problems and no regrets.

They installed fine. I think I did need two longer bolts than what came with them. No issues with my chrome and I used loctite (blue) on all of my bolts as you should do anyway on a bike. I even added lights inside them so they light up at night. I've gotten many compliments on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedahoe View Post
    I have them on my bike. No problems and no regrets.

They installed fine. I think I did need two longer bolts than what came with them. No issues with my chrome and I used loctite (blue) on all of my bolts as you should do anyway on a bike. I even added lights inside them so they light up at night. I've gotten many compliments on them.
    Great response Weed. I didn't mean the chrome was bad on all of them. But, a while back...maybe 3 to 4 years ago, there was some issues with some spike air intakes. I think it was a company that was selling some cheap knockoffs on EBay. Several members of this forum bought them, and almost all of them had the same complaints. I think MeanCycles also sells the high quality spike air intakes, as well as the Thunder Tornadoes.

I looked at the Thunder website. Real nice air intakes...but wow! $800-900 ?? I don't think I could do that much...

Quote Originally Posted by gsxr-rider137 View Post
    I looked at the Thunder website. Real nice air intakes...but wow! $800-900 ?? I don't think I could do that much...
    I think they are a little less on MeanCycles website. Although they are a bit pricey, you will be extremely thrilled that you bought them, once you feel how they effect the performance of your 9.
    Last edited by JUDAH-9; 10-29-2015 at 11:56 AM.

The Tornado intakes are the ones I was referring to (from Thunder Manufacturing) in my earlier post. They are a little cheaper than what was posted above tho.

http://www.thundermfg.com/store/inde...t_detail&p=244

http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?partID=212385

I was skeptical of the chrome on mine with the entire kit being around 100 and knowing they came from Asia but so far so good. I rode it to work this morning and will for the next few days before rain in the forecast gets here.

Same here..
    for the price they are very good... around 500 different is not small fires..
    sometimes i just can see why such a bid difference.. as for the quality.. the pair I got was very very good.. I even scraped one a little on the seam and it didn't chip or flake.. it was just scratched.. (since it was at the cone seam, i covered it wait electrical tape all around and it actually looked like it came that way
    Since then I I got an 11 and bought a set of Black ones... always been happy with the way they look.. and the offsets arent that bad since you mostly look at one side of the bike at a time