Something is wrong with my throttle! Please help...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something is wrong with my throttle! Please help...

Unhappy Something is wrong with my throttle or Acceleration?! Please help...

So I rode to work today just fine and on my way home I noticed my bike wasnt accelerating like it normally does. I crank the throttle all the way and it doesnt go like it used to. It picks up really slow...not sure what it is. Or I'll crank the throttle it wont go, then suddenly it starts to SLOWLY pick up speed. I didnt pass anyone on the interstate today because I didnt know how the acceleration was going to react. So not really sure if its the throttle or something else...spark plug, fuel injector, fuel pump? Anyone ever had this happen, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty bummed out, its a 2007 M109R, bought it from a guy a few months ago, and ive been having to work on it ever since....one thing after another....
    Last edited by omarsloan; 10-07-2015 at 08:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by omarsloan View Post
    So I rode to work today just fine and on my way home I noticed my bike wasnt accelerating like it normally does. I crank the throttle all the way and it doesnt go like it used to. It picks up really slow...not sure what it is. Or I'll crank the throttle it wont go, then suddenly it starts to SLOWLY pick up speed. I didnt pass anyone on the interstate today because I didnt know how the acceleration was going to react. So not really sure if its the throttle or something else...spark plug, fuel injector, fuel pump? Anyone ever had this happen, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty bummed out, its a 2007 M109R, bought it from a guy a few months ago, and ive been having to work on it ever since....one thing after another....
    Sounds like you have a bad Throttle Position Sensor(TPS). Do you the FI light on?
    Suzuki Engine Guard,Chrome Levers,Master Cylinder,Clucth Perch,Housings from Chip.Black ISO Grips,Accent Rings,Stilleto ends,Throttle Boss, Kury LED Lights.Joe's of Fla.180 LED Kit,JT's Knight Strip .Speedo/Tach from Webslinger.Carbon Fiber Kit,and tank cover.HID Headlight.Debeavered w Raw LED Strip,Chrome license plate w LED.OEM Chrome Drive shaft and Swing arm covers.Taillight painted by Brad Short OEM Pipes.VSport Shield,Scithe Mirrors

Sounds like a bad TPS but not necessarily the tps sensor itself. Does it have a power commander on the bike?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default I checked...

No FI light as of yet.

Took it for a ride down the freeway just now and cranked the throttle, seems like when i get to about 4000 rpm it starts to sputter and not accelerate anymore.

Crank position sensor doesn't cause that. I would check fuel filter first and start from there. If you had just purchased that bike i would get a hold of person that owned it before and ask him if he had ever change it. Or you may have bigger problem.Keep us posted...wee are hear to help .

Default Yes...

Yes, the guy i bought it from said it had a power commander on it, its a PC111 usb

Quote Originally Posted by darko1974 View Post
    Crank position sensor doesn't cause that. I would check fuel filter first and start from there. If you had just purchased that bike i would get a hold of person that owned it before and ask him if he had ever change it. Or you may have bigger problem.Keep us posted...wee are hear to help .
    I doubt the fuel filter has ever been changed (also before i start the bike, what i think is the fuel pump.... squeaks), the guy said he had changed the oil, and when i changed it, out of curiosity, it was soooo black, as so was the final drive gear oil....

Yes, the guy i bought it from said it had a power commander on it, its a PC111 usb
    You may wanna try and disconnect that PCIII and see if there is a difference

I doubt the fuel filter has ever been changed (also before i start the bike, what i think is the fuel pump.... squeaks), the guy said he had changed the oil, and when i changed it, out of curiosity, it was soooo black, as so was the final drive gear oil....
    I would go from there, thats a 50$ fix and it would make a big difference. Does it idle rough on the start? Kind a uneven? If it does thats one of the sign that filter is clogged up.

My guess would be the PC and or fuel filter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Default Thanks guys

I would go from there, thats a 50$ fix and it would make a big difference. Does it idle rough on the start? Kind a uneven? If it does thats one of the sign that filter is clogged up.
    Although its a 2007 it only has 7800 miles on it...I havent checked the fuel OR air filter just because it sounds like a big job. I had trouble figuring out how to get to the air filter the other day to see what condition theyre in.

WELL...I suppose I have to start troubleshooting somewhere.....FML...I'll have to wait till the weekend then....

Any suggestions on what kind of fuel filter to get?

And yes I will disconnect the PC111 and get back to you guys on what that does.

Thanks for starting me off in the right direction....

Please if anyone has any other ideas on what i can check I would greatly appreciate it.

Default Question...

Since Ive bought the bike, Ive wired an LED kit, leaving the battery disconnected for a couple weeks. Would that "unprogram" the Power commander or whatever?

Yeah I think it does kinda Idle uneven of sorts, sometimes it'll idle fast at stop lights too...

Banned

Fuel filter?? sounds like,, the squeak when you first turn the key on is the servo valve in the exhaust I think it is called. Normal sound...

With that low milage I doubt the fuel filter has ever been changed...I'm sure it's dirty...all symptoms point to filter...start there,throw some sea foam in the fuel and run the tank out..
    Stav

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    With that low milage I doubt the fuel filter has ever been changed...I'm sure it's dirty...all symptoms point to filter...start there,throw some sea foam in the fuel and run the tank out..
    I didn't see fuel filter under periodic maintenance...how often does this need changed?

I've changed mine every 20K kms,(12-13K miles) and it's been filthy dirty each time..

if the previous owner left you with dirty engine/gear oil,who knows what crappy cheap gas he dumped in there...
    Stav

Banned

I didn't see fuel filter under periodic maintenance...how often does this need changed?
    62,714 miles never changed, cleaned once, I guess i should clean it again....

LAND OF THE LONG WHITE SMOKE CLOUD,.NEW ZEALAND

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    62,714 miles never changed, cleaned once, I guess i should clean it again....

60,000 ks, Never seen it, still OEM, Never cleaned. Good clean Gas here, And wide open on the throttle to Drag any Chit thru.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SKIDMARK View Post

60,000 ks, Never seen it, still OEM, Never cleaned. Good clean Gas here, And wide open on the throttle to Drag any Chit thru.....
    haha true dat skidder.............

Very Active Member

Not saying you should't look at changing the fuel filter, but I personally doubt that is the culprit. Usually the signs of a dirty/clogging fuel filter is the bike stalls at idle or surges/stalls at very low rpm. If you are on the highway and it is acting up, yet doesn't stall at low rpm tells me that it probably is not the fuel filter. I would definitely start looking into the tps and the pc3 first.

Default Tps or pc3?

Okay...the pc3 I can get to quickly and easily....and without looking at the manual I'm going to assume the tps sensor is easier to get to than the fuel filterand please correct me if I'm wrong...

1. Simply disconnect the PC3 and test ride.....

If that doesn't fix it

2. Inspect and test the tps sensor (which I'm not sure what I'm looking for or sure how to test) but hopefully ill figure it out (or hopefully get tips from you guys)

I'll start with that then lastly...

3.Inspect and/or replace fuel filter

Sound like right moves?

Thanks again for chiming in everyone, this is helping alot
    Last edited by omarsloan; 10-08-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Search the forum. There is a link to a free copy of the repair/maintenance manual.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member

Be careful if you disconnect the pc3 and ride. If you have after market pipes and intakes you will be very lean.

Before you disconnect anything check the wires that go from the pc111 to the tps. If the installer used those quick splice clips you most likely found your problem. Those clips are natourious for causing this issue. Many times the connectors break the tps wires. If these are present you need to remove them and repair the broken wires then solder them. Btw i didn't read this entire thread so sorry if this is a repost.

I didnt know the PC111 connects to the TPS....thats really good to know....I do have a manual but this is my first bike, and it came with the PC111 which i know nothing about, I am learning alot. So thanks for the guidance I dont know anyone else that I could talk to about this. And Suzuki dealer is $65/hr lol so anyway YES I have seen those red clips in my wiring here and there....I will check those as well, good looking out

And from what I can tell my air intake and pipes are stock....but the guy said the pipes were DEBaffled....The guy told me the first owner put 5000 miles on it and is the one who had everything chromed and put the PC111 on it and had it tuned...The second owner who i bought it fromjust rode it as is for 2500 miles...now i have it and ive put about 500 miles on.

And since then have had my clutch cable break when i was learning to ride...I replaced that.

Found the oil to be bad i changed that and the filter and gear oil.

The stock front brake hose was leaking so i replaced that and front master cylinder....

I just trying to keep this baby running i love riding, I look forward to it everyday....and when this stuff happens.....
    Last edited by omarsloan; 10-08-2015 at 11:45 PM.

I didnt know the PC111 connects to the TPS....thats really good to know....I do have a manual but this is my first bike, and it came with the PC111 which i know nothing about, I am learning alot. So thanks for the guidance I dont know anyone else that I could talk to about this. And Suzuki dealer is $65/hr lol so anyway YES I have seen those red clips in my wiring here and there....I will check those as well, good looking out

And from what I can tell my air intake and pipes are stock....but the guy said the pipes were DEBaffled....The guy told me the first owner put 5000 miles on it and is the one who had everything chromed and put the PC111 on it and had it tuned...The second owner who i bought it fromjust rode it as is for 2500 miles...now i have it and ive put about 500 miles
    If this is the case i can almost GUARANTEE that those clips are the cause of your problem. It's an easy fix if you know how to soldier some wires together. Just one word of caution. The wires that go to the tps from the bikes stock harness are usually very short which don't leave you much room to work. I found it best to cut the wires completely then add in extra length so you can tie in the pciii and still have room to tape up and water proof the exposed wires. Leave just enough wire attached to the tps connection to splice in longer wires leaving the wires coming from the harness as long as possible. Hope this doesn't confuse you. Post up any more questions and i will try to help, I'll only charge you $60 per hour :)

Very Active Member

I agree with Latinrascal. If you pull your tank, and the right air cleaner assembly you can see where the pc3 taps into the tps sensor/wire. Also, not sure if it was mentioned but you can go to the dynojet website and download the install instructions for the pc3 for the m109. that will tell you exactly where they clip to the tps. I would do that and check it first before flipping the injector plugs and putting it back to stock. From what the setup is, it will be safe to ride without the pc3 so you can do that as a second attempt and eliminate that as the problem or find out it is the problem.

Default Okay...some info so far....

I live in apartments in Texas so its hot and id have to work in the parking lot which i really dont want to do yet. BUT

I got some PC3 info not sure what it all means....can anyone tell from looking at my screen shot whether its working or not?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	289770

even when i gave it gas...the throttle percent didnt move, is this normal....

Anyway I do plan on checking the wiring very soon...

But after more test rides....I want to re explain a little better what the bike does..

I can turn the throttle handle to about half way 50-60%, but when I try to open the throttle all the way, give it all it has, it starts to sputter and backfire kinda and its stops accelerating.

Anyway thanks for the recent replies I will wake up this thread when I actually get to checking TPS voltage and resistance, checking the wiring and all.

Default Damn

Well.....I finally got to it today.....and I made it worst.

ohm out the tps it was good voltage going in and out was good....those clips were good....the clip connected to B/BR has several busted strands but its still intact.

I put it all back together, and now my throttle barely works....if i crank the throttle it stalls. If I really slowly move the throttle it'll rev up and once i got the throttle about half way it starts to sputter....

I think I throw in towel and will pay suzuki their 65/hr