M109 Rider Forums banner

C40 FI Code related to aftermarket Clutch lever?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Sledge 
#1 ·
Purpose of this post is to see if anyone else has run into this.

I recentlty put on aftermarket clutch and brake levers, the black ebay ones for $35ish.

I had to shave down part of the brake lever (were it touches to hydraulic push) as it was ever so slightly applying the brakes.
With that fixed I have been riding (down in South Carolina) and getting my FI light coming on and its C40.
I can have it happen right away or way into the ride.....with no real pattern.

So in research, I came across a post on the GIxxer board, where others have had the same thing. The ECU thinks the clutch is in and is not sure why its reving so hi, so it gives off the C40 FI.

Will be looking at is more closely when it gets warmer out, but based on the mechanics and the explanation, pretty sure this is my issue.

Anyone else have this issue?

#4 ·
When I replaced my clutch lever (not the actual clutch), I would randomly get the C40 fault code. The issue was the aftermarket clutch lever did not line up properly with the small switch. I attached a small thin piece of metal to the lever so it always depressed the switch. The code never came back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.