M109 Rider Forums banner

Brake in

6K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  dreday1615 
#1 ·
Just ordered my VP'S and FI 2000, for my 2014 9, I only put 24 miles on it so far, when can I install my upgrades. ..I heard around 600 miles but I want to be sure of the brake in period for my new 9, help a brother out will ya? Lol

#2 · (Edited)
I think you could put the mods on at anytime. The break in is just how you ride it during the first 600 miles. Me, I rode it pretty easy during that time, as the manual suggests. Others say to ride it like you stole it. NOT ME. My bike has been very good to me these nine years I've owned it. I always follow the manual suggestions when breaking in a new vehicle. Your mileage may vary.

I did not do any major mods during the first 600 miles. I did whack off the rear fender as soon as I got it home when I bought it, followed by tossing the kiddie reflectors in the round-open-top-file right after. Different mirrors the second week.

Dealer won't whack you for doing mods before the 600 mile service. They're not mafiosi (put him in the trunk Tony!!).

#5 ·
Dre, if you are going with the Cobra Powere Pro Tuner, I would suggest waiting to install it until after your break in period, because in order to tune the Power Pro initially, the requirements are that you MUST accelerate gears 1 through 3 out to redline at least three times repeatedly, which exceeds the recommendations of the speed/accleration of your beak in period. However, you can still install your new VP exhaust, and you will be just fine.

#6 ·
yeah I recently passed my 600 mile mark. I did exactly what the manual said to do for proper break-in. at 650 miles I installed my new exhaust and changed the oil. now I get to ride a little more freely.

This post has been deleted
#24 ·
One thing is for certain , no matter how you ride it you aren't going to hurt it. I promise you that within 20 miles the rings are seated. Unless you abuse it you aren't going to hurt it. Just me but if you follow Suzuki's break in procedure your warranty may be up before you ever see redline. Some guys don't put more than 2 or 3 thousand miles a year on a bike. Some not even that. And with that stellar 1 year that Zuke gives you I want to know if something is wrong. Just my 2 cents.

#25 ·
I installed my PowerPro at MAM last year. It wasn't in the instructions that came with mine. I know the info about running the rpms up in the first 3 gears three times was out there at some point tho, because 2 different people at MAM told me to do the same thing. Couldn't find it in the instructions, but I had to run them up at least once just to feel the difference. I mean... whats the point in installing a programmer and pipes if you're not going to test 'em out! lol

#26 ·
That's what I thought, BCRUZN somehow got that message mixed up with the real Cobra instructions, mistakes happen...
I pulled out my instructions printed by Cobra in May 2011, and they were identical to those Trod published...
Glad it all got straightened up.. :bigthumbsup:

#27 ·
I did a lot of reading up and researching information about the PowrPro before I purchased it, and it is totally possible that I may have downloaded the information, as I had a folder full of printed information about the PowrPro back then. Nevertheless, it is not something I made up out of the clear blue sky. Thanks for helping clear things up guys. I'm not a pride-filled person, and I can accept correction.

Thanks again. ✌😀✌

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.