M109 Rider Forums banner

fat fork info before spending $$

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  k109 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

My racetech springs are on the way. Thanks to Andy ( Some 9 ) to convince me. With all the hardware on hands, I was thinking to add a 1 piece chrome fat fork kit ( Sumo-X ). Over all my reseach, I didn't found a lot of comments good or bad. So for those you have or had them:

- could you please tell us if they stay in place? no periodical adjustments required due to vibrations etc?
- could you please tell us if the road debri / stone chips damage the front of those tube?
- could you please tell us if the fact to not get chromed the upper tree is a big mistake ?

Regarding the upper tree, I was thinking to buy one used on e-bay then get it chromed. But I found the is 2 different par numbers?? On alpha sport, they say 51311-48G20 for mine ( 2010 but same as 2011) and for a 2006-2009 they say 51311-48G00? Is there some differences? I tought they were molded?

Last question is about the lower fork . 2 choices are available: buy the lower fork plastic chrome cover or get them chromed. But to remove them, Is it a big deal? Remove the 2 bolts on the side and 1 under ? After that does it slide easily? No oil leak? I need you input on that in order to be able to get them on hand without damage. Or Would it be preferable to buy the plastic cover?

Thank you guys for your input!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
As far as the front taking a beating, yes what would'nt... check your front bumper of your car hows that look? I keep mine polished to the max, and they look fine but yes chit will be hitting them.

As far as falling down, the bottom triple tree holds them in place plus there's set screws on the top and the bottom of them! Yet I took my lower set screws out. So they don't hit my Gangster fender.

IMO they would look silly on, without the top tripple tree chromed. Like putting after market chrome risers on A non chrome top triple tree! But that's just me:doorag:

If mine ever really go to hell, i'd buy another pair! I'd say buy them.

And another thing. I chose not to chrome my lower fort, and yes im a Admitted!!!! CHROME WHORE. Yet thought that to be to much. see my pic below. Paint it!

#3 ·
Thank you guys for your input!
I've had mine for 2years now and they still look great but it's like anything that's up front on a vehicle they will have have road debris-there is no adjustments after they are installed- depending on what look you're going for if you want your upper trees chromed is up to you I powder coated mine and as far as lower triple tree you barely notice it with the fork covers on them you only see a little of back side- if you want yours chrome you should contact Jerry for an exchange of yours- depending on your budget-pepersonally I wouldn't do the lower chrome covers I've seen them and I didn't really care for them but those that have them say they like theirs- I had my lowers painted - it's a big deal to remove and get chromed and I would send mine to Jerry if I went that route- well good luck in whichever route you go and make sure you post pics
http://www.simmonsmotorworks.com/suzuki_m109r_chrome_parts.html

#5 ·
THank you guys for your feedback really appreciated.

And for the upper tree is there someone knows why suzuki changed their part number? Any differences? I'm in for a plug and play solution...trouble free if I buy a 2006-2009 to install on my 2010.?

cheers!

#7 ·
THank you guys for your feedback really appreciated.

And for the upper tree is there someone knows why suzuki changed their part number? Any differences? I'm in for a plug and play solution...trouble free if I buy a 2006-2009 to install on my 2010.?

cheers!
I would not buy another top triple tree, unless your getting it for 10 cents on the dollar! I'd stand done and wait till next fall, and over the winter pull it apart and have that done. While thats being done order your chrome risers and tube your talking about! Call me I can help, I'll send you a PM

#10 ·
Yes, they stay in place very well. Just be sure to put some medium strength loc-tite on the top and bottom set screws before you tighten them down. It really helps to prevent potential loosening caused by vibration.

As for chips, stones and other debris hitting the fork tubes. I have had my fork tubes on my '07 for about 5 years now, and I don't have a chip or any damage to them at all. Of course debris is going to get on them such as bugs and things. But, the chrome is pretty good, and it holds up very, in my opinion.

Regarding the triple trees...if you don't want to spend the money to chrome them, you can always have them powder coated black to match the bike. That would look very, very nice as well. Just don't leave them stock with the chrome fork tubes. That would look pretty awful, I think.

about the lower forks...I wouldn't put those cheap plastic chrome covers on. You could also,have them powder coated or painted black to match the triple trees and your bike. Once again, that would look VERY nice.

#11 ·
I agree I have fat fork tube with just the upper trees chromed you can only see a small part of lower tree so not chromed as far as the lowers I too have them painted to match bike have had zero problems with them I recommend you buy you won't regret it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.