M109 Rider Forums banner

Air filter choice

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Shooter 
#1 ·
Looking to purchase the freedom 2 and 1 and the fi 2000 for my 2014 limited edition, any suggestions on intake air filter selection with these mods?

See less See more
#2 ·
The budget is the only limit with choices. You could go as simple as k & n filters and DIY's all the way up to around $1200.00. All depends on what you want. Really doesn't matter what you choose don't think your going to see any performance gain from one setup to another so just pick something you like the looks of.

#9 ·
Keith, the OP "DreDay1615 is looking for air intake options, and he is going with the black and chrome combo on his bike. He could buy your gloss black intake covers, send them to Len "Ducks" and have him cut a custom design in them, and back fill them with chrome mesh. Why don't you PM him, and see if he would be interested? It could work out great for both of you.

#8 ·
Bottle fed intakes are the cheapest route to go. You can get everything you need at O'reilly auto parts. If you can save some money on the intakes doing bottle fed. Might i suggest upgrading your tuner to a PC5 or Cobra power pro.
I would also suggest upgrading the tuner, but since the Cobra PowrPro is an option, I would go with it hands down. This is also my first cruiser and I had used the Power Commanders in the past. I just installed the PowrPro on my 9 this past weekend and the difference it made was amazing. It now feels very similar to the 07 vmax I had when I had it jetted perfectly.

#4 ·
Also freedoms 2 into 1 for this bike is fairly new. Might still consider Velocity Pro's or the cobra tri power pipes. Might save some money on the VP's. I was going to go with freedoms' sharp radius shortys 2 into 2. (in black) However after talking to one of the best 9 mechanics in the country I was sold on VP's and haven't looked back.

#15 ·
Deaper? I think auto correct got you because it tried to get me haha. I can't speak for the freedoms 2into1. As I've never heard them. I've heard the vp and they sound amazing. You could always icebox the vp and get the same look. Lose a little torque but gain some hp. On the cobra power pro. I've talked this over in depth with futurR and he sold me on the pc5. If you are just going for some looks and rideibility the power pro will do just that. With the power pro and futurR can verify this when you are hard on throttle in higher gears bottom of 3rd on it doensnt know what to do so it just dumps fuel. Like off the map fuel dump. It's a safety. It's reads crank speed and just starts dumping fuel. I didn't like that aspect. I liked the ability to tune each cylinder to the afr I want. And with the pc5 if I know I'm going to the mountains I build a second map and put it on a switch. There are pluses and minuses to both. The power pro plug it in and forget it. The pc5 requires a tune on a dyno. So it comes down to what you are really going for. I'm a gear head and I want my engine optimum at all times not just dumping fuel to be safe. That's me. You definitely won't regret the power pro but you can't get anymore out of your engine other than what it allows.

#10 ·
DreDay, the least expensive, yet very creative and tasteful idea for your bike would be to either use your chrome intake covers, and send them to DUCKS 517 to have him cut a custom design into your intake covers and back fill them with black mesh, or buy NJDEVIL's gloss black intake covers, and send them to DUCKS 517 for custom designing, and have him back fill them with chrome mesh. Either way, your bike is going to look super sweet with the intake cover custom mod.

#16 ·
Also MRB on here just ordered the freedoms for his bike. He had a icebox shorty velocity pros on his bike and I believe he is selling them. So you might want to look him up and see what he wants for them. Just an idea. Not trying to talk you out of the freedoms. There just isn't a lot known in them yet. Velocity pros are a prove. Pipe just like the side burner. bcruzn can verify that

#22 ·
I'd say that depends on what your running for intakes? I run HYPER CHARGERS, and with that set up I have K+N air filters.

#26 ·
Dreday my best advice would be to think over all this free advice , maybe look at some pics on the forum and give it a few days. Do what you want to do and what you think looks good. Lots of options out there and the suggestion about a previously owned set of pipes was on point. Possible savings right there. Don't pull the trigger if its not the look you want. It gets really expensive when you change your mind and have to buy them again. Don't rush it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.