M109 Rider Forums banner

m109r vs victory hammer

15K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  HyperPete 
#1 ·
any good reviews out there? any thoughts? not much on the www.

#2 ·
The only review that I know of that compares the 9 to the hammer (along with other muscle cruisers) is this review (a bit dated but should still ring mostly true today): http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/10321/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Performance-Cruiser-Smackdown.aspx

I love the hammer (especially the hammer S), but the 9 seems better in every way:

1) suspension is of better quality,
2) brakes are stronger and provide better feedback,
3) shaft driven,
4) transmission... err... well, actually, they're kind of equal in this regard,
5) liquid-cooled [this was a huge point for me personally],
bigger engine and...
6) the 9 stands out more in terms of style than the hammer (IMO).

#3 · (Edited)
The Victory Hammer is a nice bike, and may likely be the closest thing to an M109R that is out there on the market. However, the Hammer pales in comparison to the M109R in every category except comfort. It is equally as comfortable as the 9, but not more comfortable in my opinion. The 9 is superior in performance, balance, styling, workmanship, manufacturing, custom upgrade options and aftermarket parts availability. I also used to work with a guy who owned a Hammer. Once he saw my 9, walked around it, inspected it thoroughly and saw me ride away on it, he tracked me down at work about a month later to tell me he was selling his Hammer, to get himself an M109R. The 9 is pound for pound, looks for looks and dollar for dollar the best bike on the market. I own two of them right now, and if I could, I would own at least a total of seven...one for each day of the week!!!

I remember having read a post some time back that compared the Hammer, M109R and a few other cruisers, but I wouldn't know where to find it now. However, I do remember that the 9 was rated much higher than in every way possible.

#15 · (Edited)
The Victory Hammer is a nice bike, and may likely be the closest thing to an M109R that is out there on the market. However, the Hammer pales in comparison to the M109R in every category except comfort. It is equally as comfortable as the 9, but not more comfortable in my opinion. The 9 is superior in performance, balance, styling, workmanship, manufacturing, custom upgrade options and aftermarket parts availability. I also used to work with a guy who owned a Hammer. Once he saw my 9, walked around it, inspected it thoroughly and saw me ride away on it, he tracked me down at work about a month later to tell me he was selling his Hammer, to get himself an M109R. The 9 is pound for pound, looks for looks and dollar for dollar the best bike on the market. I own two of them right now, and if I could, I would own at least a total of seven...one for each day of the week!!!

I remember having read a post some time back that compared the Hammer, M109R and a few other cruisers, but I wouldn't know where to find it now. However, I do remember that the 9 was rated much higher than in every way possible.
Gotta disagree with you on the 9 being better than the Hammer in workmanship. The Hammer has better fit and finish than the 9, i.e., the chrome is nicer, the paint is nicer etc....I agree with everything else though...

#12 ·
Yes, I really do Love them 9s Shooter!!! 😍😄😊☺ I try to give credit to other bikes, but NOT at the expense of the 9s. 😄😜😎 Sure, there are several other bikes out there that may be superior to the 9 in individual categories, such as they cost a lot more, may be more comfortable for long distance riding and may have a bit more power than the 9. But, I have yet to see, read or hear of a cruiser that trumps the 9 when you roll up all the qualities and categories of a bike into one overall analysis. And we won't even talk about the looks and appeal of the 9. There's NOTHING on the road today that is built from an assembly line production or mass produced that is more eye-catching, jaw-dropping, drool-inducing, intriguing, charismatic, lust-provoking, crowd-drawing, conversation-provoking, question-provoking, reliable, mechanically sound, torque-filled, throttle-responsive, beastly, aggressive, cool, sleek, mystical, mesmerizing, sexy and above all, cost-effective than the SUZUKI BOULEVARD M109R. That is how I really feel Shooter. 😄😄😄 I guess it would be safe to say that I've got it pretty bad huh? Well, I must say I agree. 👍👍👍😄😄😄😜😜😃😃😃😍😍😍😎😎😎👍👍👍

Having fun and being colorful with words early this morning Bro. 😄 Nevertheless, I really feel that strongly about the 9!!! It is a GREAT bike.

#5 ·
Call Polaris West in Katy, Tx. They are a Victory/Suzuki/Triumph dealership.
I wanna say to talk to Neels. He's a GREAT source of info. He owns/rides a Hammer S.
I went in there to look at the Hammer (Vegas too, but I didnt know they arent wide anymore).
He asked what I have now, I told him an M109R. He said "Ok, you can go home now. You will
NEVER be happy on a Hammer. They ride rougher, they stop further, and they dont have the
same get up and go like the M109. The ONLY cruiser that will make you happy is a Turbo Rocket"

With that conversation, i've ruled out ALL other motorcycles that I'll ride. If and when my '06 sells
I will just be buying a brand new 9. Might buy a new 9, and send this one to Matt.

Reactions: Brother Fox
#7 ·
Meh, I just want 2. 1 to ride, 1 to ra...show off.

#8 ·
BAAA Victorys are right there wit hardleys as a BIG FAIL compared to a M109R BADASS mofo.......

#9 ·
But they're faster/smoother than a Hardley, AND they're MUCH cheaper. LOLs

#16 ·
I test rode a hammer a few years back. Nice bike for sure, but when I got back on my 9, it was clear the 9 was the superior machine. I think of the Hammer as a bike being more like a Harley fit and finish wise with it's nice paint and chrome (when they were still making Hammers with chrome, it seems these days they're mostly all blacked out) with much better performance than a Harley. The 9 outperforms it in every category. The Hammer is a very nice bike, but it would be hard to go from a 9 to a Hammer because of the difference in performance...

#31 ·
I have all-ways admired the Hammer, and had a chance to drive one last season. And honestly I'll keep my 9, over the Hammer! Yet it's a ok bike, don't get me wrong. And if you square off with one:eek:, you will hand him his arse:D