Led Law

Thread: Led Law

Very Active Member

Default Led Law

Does anyone know the led (accent light) law in Tennessee for bikes? I have tried looking it up and it doesn't appear to be real clear. In Maryland, no blue, no red and no strobing with everything else being fine. I would rather know before we get down there if we can or cannot. If you have a link to the law that would be great as well. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Probably not much help here, but every state I have looked up (can't recall which ones exactly) state no strobes, no red on front, and no blue. I usually run green solid while riding. Been gettin a bit ****y and running purple lately...figure I can always try to argue that purple isn't blue, and pay a small fine forst time!
    troy
    M109R LE.
    Hard Krome Drag pipes. Barons XXX Big Air kit. PC5. 110 HP/108 TQ. Hidden key mod. Debeavered. "Back off" tail flashers. 2" drop. 2nd gear clutch spring mod. Custom painted matching helmet. HID 8000. Stebel. Irate Customs skull grill. XTRE. Custom PAIR block off plates. JTsLEDs Bigpapa kit (plus!). Knightrider. Buying stock in Nevrdull and Maguires...

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
    Probably not much help here, but every state I have looked up (can't recall which ones exactly) state no strobes, no red on front, and no blue. I usually run green solid while riding. Been gettin a bit ****y and running purple lately...figure I can always try to argue that purple isn't blue, and pay a small fine forst time!
    troy
    I run green all the time to play it "safe". I know Pennsylvania allows full blue as well. Virginia and DC will not allow ANY while riding, regardless. So, I figured I would find out. Worst case, I will ask locally when we get there but preferred to know ahead of time. I don't want to chance it because they will write us up fully knowing we would never come back down to contest it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BigpapaM109 View Post
    Does anyone know the led (accent light) law in Tennessee for bikes? I have tried looking it up and it doesn't appear to be real clear. In Maryland, no blue, no red and no strobing with everything else being fine. I would rather know before we get down there if we can or cannot. If you have a link to the law that would be great as well. Thanks.
    Man I live in Tn. and honestly don't know myself for a fact. But I do see bikes running around with them, doesn't mean their legal though. If I come up with a more defined answer on legality I'll be in touch. When u plan heading this way?

55-9-402. Lights required on motor vehicles -- Exceptions -- Regulations as to color, type and visibility distance.

No non-emergency vehicle shall operate or install emergency flashing light systems such as strobe, wig-wag, or other flashing lights in tail light lamp, stoplight area, or factory installed emergency flasher and backup light area; provided, however, that the foregoing prohibition shall not apply to the utilization of a continuously flashing light system

No vehicle operated in this state shall be equipped with any flashing red or white light or any combination of red or white lights that displays to the front of the vehicle except a motor vehicle operated for purposes of an emergency equipment company pursuant to subsection (g), school buses, a passenger motor vehicle operated by a rural mail carrier of the United States postal service while performing the duties of a rural mail carrier, authorized law enforcement vehicles or motor vehicles operated for purposes of emergency equipment companies pursuant to subsection (g) only when used in combination with a flashing blue light, and emergency vehicles used in firefighting, including ambulances, emergency vehicles used in firefighting that are owned or operated by the division of forestry, firefighting vehicles, rescue vehicles, privately-owned vehicles of regular or volunteer firefighters certified in § 55-9-201(c), or other emergency vehicles used in firefighting owned, operated, or subsidized by the governing body of any county or municipality; provided, that lights authorized by this subdivision (d)(1)(B) for emergency equipment company vehicles shall not be operated or illuminated while the vehicle is on a public road, in motion or stationary.

(3) Any vehicle that displays any flashing white or amber lights or white and amber lights, flashing red or red/white lights, or red, white, and blue lights in combination, shall be considered in violation of this subsection (d), except for the following vehicles:

(A) A highway maintenance or utility vehicle, a motor vehicle operated for purposes of an emergency equipment company pursuant to subsection (g), or a passenger motor vehicle operated by an organ procurement organization or a person under an agreement with an organ procurement organization when transporting an organ for human transplantation, authorized by this section to display flashing white or amber lights or white and amber lights;

(B) A school bus, a motor vehicle operated for purposes of an emergency equipment company pursuant to subsection (g), a passenger motor vehicle operated by a rural mail carrier of the United States postal service while performing the duties of a rural mail carrier, or an emergency vehicle, authorized by this section to display flashing red or red/white lights; and

(C) Authorized law enforcement vehicles or motor vehicles operated for purposes of emergency equipment companies pursuant to subsection (g), authorized by this section to display red, white, and blue lights in combination; provided, that emergency equipment company vehicles are not authorized to display or illuminate the lights authorized by this section while the vehicle is on a public road, whether in motion or stationary.

(e) (1) (A) Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, nothing in this section shall prohibit a highway maintenance or utility vehicle, or any other type vehicle or equipment participating, in any fashion, with highway or utility construction, maintenance, or inspection, from operating a white, amber, or white and amber light system on any location on the vehicle or equipment while the vehicle or equipment is parked upon, entering or leaving any highway or utility construction, maintenance, repair or inspection site.

(B) Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, a recovery vehicle designed for towing a disabled vehicle, as defined in § 55-8-132, while in the performance of duties involved with towing an abandoned, immobile, disabled or unattended motor vehicle is authorized to display an amber light that is a strobe, flashing, oscillating or revolving system or any combination of white and amber lights. Such authorized light or lights may be displayed on any location on the vehicle or equipment, other than within the headlight assembly or grill area of the vehicle, in the tail light lamp or stoplight area, or factory installed emergency flasher and backup light area.

(2) As used in this subsection (e), "utility" means any person, municipality, county, metropolitan government, cooperative, board, commission, district, or any entity created or authorized by public act, private act, or general law to provide electricity, natural gas, water, waste water services, telephone service, or any combination thereof, for sale to consumers in any particular service area.

For further reading, go to http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/
    "If a person needs proof of God's existence, then the very notion of spirituality is diminished into sensuality and we have reduced what is holy into what is logical." Drizzt