TPS adjustment

Thread: TPS adjustment

Default TPS adjustment

I put my bike in dealer mode to find out what code it was throwing. C46, so I looked up how to disable set valve and finally just cut the dang wire. Went back to double check code and noticed that the (-) before the code was in the top position. On my V-Strom this dash represents the TPS and should be in the middle. I assume it to be so for the 109? I did a quick search but could not find the proceedure for the tps adjustment. I may just take it to the dealer if it is something tricky. Still, would like to find out how if anyone can enlighten me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

page 5-20 of the service manual.

TPS ADJUSTMENT
    1. Warm up the engine and check the engine idle r/min.
    Adjust the engine rpm to 900 r/min if necessary. (#6-22)
    2. Connect the special tool (Mode select switch) to the dealer
    mode coupler at the wiring harness.
    3. Remove the fuel tank. (#6-3)
    4. Remove the right air cleaner box. (#6-13)
    5. If the throttle position sensor adjustment is necessary, loosen
    the screw and turn the throttle position sensor and bring the
    line to the middle.
    6. Then, tighten the screw to fix the throttle position sensor.
    !09930-11950: Torx wrench
    09930-82720: Mode select switch
    The LCD displays the line for 0.4 sec. at a time, and when such
    a display repeats two times, it indicates the current position
    where the sensor is fixed.

Do you perform this procedure with the engine off? I assume so if the tank is off?

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1moore View Post
    Do you perform this procedure with the engine off? I assume so if the tank is off?
    That makes sense to me.

Very Active Member geofftl1000r's Avatar

Things have changed since the days of Suzuki's first FI bike.

On that I have to lift the tank, (while leaving it connected) to get access to the screws (Torx) adjust the TPS with the engine running. Then slowly increase the rpm until the bar goes up (top position) and that should happen a few 100 rpm higher.

So the 9 is just an ignition ON, adjust TPS and put everything back together..... sounds easy.....

Quote Originally Posted by geofftl1000r View Post
    Things have changed since the days of Suzuki's first FI bike.

On that I have to lift the tank, (while leaving it connected) to get access to the screws (Torx) adjust the TPS with the engine running. Then slowly increase the rpm until the bar goes up (top position) and that should happen a few 100 rpm higher.

So the 9 is just an ignition ON, adjust TPS and put everything back together..... sounds easy.....
    Is that a statement or question?

Must have been a statement.

Anyway, I was lucky to spot the TPS right off the bat. Since I have Forcewinders it exposed the TPS. no tank removal necessary as far as I can see. Just need to pick up the torx tool and do the adjustment.
    Last edited by hunt1moore; 03-11-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Sorry, the manual makes is sound very simple since the engine doesn't need to be running. I was a little surprised.
    Looks like it's even easier on your bike as you can get straight to the torx screw.

Not sure why the manual asks for the rpm to be set to 900rpm if the adjustment is set as 0 rpm. It's not like you have an adjustment knob to do it.

I have an SDS clone so I can play with the idle speed, though not sure what the point would be except when balancing the throttle bodies.
    Normally you balance first then set the TPS. Well, at least you used too.

Sorry, the manual makes is sound very simple since the engine doesn't need to be running. I was a little surprised.
    Looks like it's even easier on your bike as you can get straight to the torx screw.

Not sure why the manual asks for the rpm to be set to 900rpm if the adjustment is set as 0 rpm. It's not like you have an adjustment knob to do it.

I have an SDS clone so I can play with the idle speed, though not sure what the point would be except when balancing the throttle bodies.
    Normally you balance first then set the TPS. Well, at least you used too.
    On EFI the idle speed is set by the idle air control and is independent of the throttle plate opening. That's ahy you can set the TPS with the engine off.

Had to go buy a set of these....

It was very touchy but eventually got the bar in the center.

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    On EFI the idle speed is set by the idle air control and is independent of the throttle plate opening. That's ahy you can set the TPS with the engine off.

That's what I thought, the 900rpm step is not required.
    This seems like a bad idea to me. Since the position of the throttle plate is what needs to be set. You could have a throttle plate slightly open and the idle air control valve almost closed so you would be setting the TPS differently then a bike with the throttle plate fully closed and the idle air control valve wide open.
    Both would have the same rpm but different settings on the TPS. Never looked at the TPS yet so I could be completely of the mark.

That's what I thought, the 900rpm step is not required.
    This seems like a bad idea to me. Since the position of the throttle plate is what needs to be set. You could have a throttle plate slightly open and the idle air control valve almost closed so you would be setting the TPS differently then a bike with the throttle plate fully closed and the idle air control valve wide open.
    Both would have the same rpm but different settings on the TPS. Never looked at the TPS yet so I could be completely of the mark.
    According to the manual the plate isn't used for any adjustment, only the bleed screw on each body is used to set balance and idle speed. So, the 900 RPM idle speed check would not seem to have anything to do with TPS setting.

So, I think I am dealing with the same issue.
    Do I have to take it to a dealer and have them hook up the "mode select switch" and the "dealer mode coupler" to my harness to get it to display the -C reading, to see if the TPS is in correct position? Is that correct? Thanks.

Very Active Member

i think the mode select switch just bridges the 2 wires on the diagnostic plug, for diagnostic mode