Looking at used m109r - thinks to look at in person & test ride?

Thread: Looking at used m109r - thinks to look at in person & test ride?

Default Looking at used m109r - thinks to look at in person & test ride?

Hello everyone. First, I looked through the stickies and FAQ, and didn't find one on what to make sure to check on looking at a used bike.

Linked is the bike I'm going to look at. 15k miles (not in the ad)

Now, What should I make sure to check while I'm there? I know 06 is the first model year, so what quirks does this bike have that others won't? I currently have a Sv650 that this bike would replace in order to be better for 2-up riding and cruising / poker runs, etc.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/4886024812.html

This is the 2nd choice bike. Its from a dealer, so doc fees and stuff would be higher, etc. But is there any advantage of the limited edition over the link above? Both have about the same miles, but one is the LE and and year newer, but costs more.

http://www.jandjcycle.com/new_vehicl...02&pov=4113559

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member grimreaper_72's Avatar

I have an 06 with 18k on it and haven't had any problems some say second gear is hard but if you shift like you mean it no problems I would try and talk him down a little being stock other than backrest I paid 6500 for mine 2 years ago with 5600 miles on it and it had aftermarket pipes and air cleaners with a power commander just my 2 cents
    Blue led lighting, chrome caliper covers, cobra FI2000R, cobra swepts with modified baffels, homemade air intakes, removed air box, blocked off pair valves, kukryan hand grips, Yani Shaki 2" risers, 2" bones, spike tree covers, kuryakyn front pegs, cycle house short kickstand, 5" monster tach, arlen ness tear drop mirrors, livin life like a gazzelle

I would definitely test ride both and compare. 2nd gear is tricky but that's it. My 06 had 18,000 on it I know a couple people that has purchased from J and J and I have visited there plenty of times. they seem to be the cheapest in the area but after a year of looking I had to travel to find a better price. That $7,000/OBO looks like a good deal.
    One who leads with no followers is merely taking a walk

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your input. I went and looked at the bike at J&J... it feels "used". Hard to explain, but it probably just needs a coat of wax to give it that new bike polish.

Neither of these prices are that low really, but they're both under 10 miles from my house, which keeps that transport cost down (I drove to Pittsburgh to pick up my last bike).

Good to hear about the 2nd gear issue being the only concern really.

What are the stock items I should request? Owner manual, 2 sets of keys? Did all bikes come with a rear seat cowl? Anything else like that?

Now, my fear is that we're coming up into riding season, and prices will get the $1,000 sellers premium until about September. This price is below nearly all the bikes on ebay. But the 15k miles is a bit higher than I would like to be... I figure I'll offer 6200 and keep 6500 as my ceiling.

Well, went to see the black one last night... started it, ran it up. Shifted through the gears. No visible damage or leaks. So we made the deal!

Now, who has an enclosed trailer I can borrow? Nothing like buying a motorcycle on the coldest day of the year!

I'll be sure to be more active on here once I get it in the garage.

A trailer? Only if it brakes down !!! Bundle up and ride it like you stole it lol !! After all you said it was 10 miles away from home lol. Let's see some pics you know what they say no pics it didn't happen

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nj2evil View Post
    A trailer? Only if it brakes down !!! Bundle up and ride it like you stole it lol !! After all you said it was 10 miles away from home lol. Let's see some pics you know what they say no pics it didn't happen
    I agree, 10 miles is nothing, unless there is a lot of salt and sand on the roads. Then I would understand. Glad you made the deal. I have owned 2, and been happy with each one. So happy, that I will probably own another in the near future

Ha, the roads are nothing but potholes and salt currently. I really don't want to cover the bike in salt and then store it for 2 more months...

But the temp is the real thing... Current temp is 4 degrees... with the current wind chill, it drops to -12. Tonight expected temp is -17... before factoring wind chill.

So yeah... enclosed trailer wins this round.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyndictive View Post
    Ha, the roads are nothing but potholes and salt currently. I really don't want to cover the bike in salt and then store it for 2 more months...

But the temp is the real thing... Current temp is 4 degrees... with the current wind chill, it drops to -12. Tonight expected temp is -17... before factoring wind chill.

So yeah... enclosed trailer wins this round.
    Oh stop it...Put on your big boy pants and ride it home! You have plenty of time to defrost when you get home.... And then a nice shine a good cover and you'll be set

you can wash it when you get home, go get it and lets see some pictures

Default Congrats

38 degrees tomorrow. Push comes to shove you can always rent $20 trailer from Uhaul.

Well, it was warmer saturday, but the heavy snow made riding it home an even worse option. So it the bike was trailered for its first trip home.

Here she is, sitting safely in the garage waiting for that first nice day after a thaw.

Congrats, I rode mine home and it was 23 degrees didn't really care about the cold though, just wanted to get it home in the garage. Good luck and enjoy it

Very Active Member BAD BOY M109R's Avatar

congrats on the new ride...
    BONE STOCK

Default Conga Rats!

Congrats, your gonna love it. I bought mine used last year for 6500 with 10k on it.. it has 23 k on it now.. its my daily driver, and I LOVE IT!

CG
    2007 Black M109R- Musician, and Computer Geek.

Make sure you run the vin and make sure the fuel rail recall was done. Check rear rotor to see if its loose.

Congrats on the new ride.

Check and make sure the clutch cable is routed outside the motor mount, and adjust to proper play (2 quarters)

Go throught the bike and do a TQ check on all the 600 mile checks in tge maintenance manual. Change plugs, clean air filter, oil & filter, final drive oil and antifreeze.
    Last edited by M109Dreamer; 02-24-2015 at 12:43 AM.

Thanks dreamer. I will check the VIN for the fuel rail today.

Previous owner said the only issue he had was the seals on the final drive failed causing the gear oil to leak out. I haven't read about this issue anywhere else.

I'll search for the clutch cable route and adjustment as well as the loose rear rotor fix. Thanks.

Thanks dreamer. I will check the VIN for the fuel rail today.

Previous owner said the only issue he had was the seals on the final drive failed causing the gear oil to leak out. I haven't read about this issue anywhere else.

I'll search for the clutch cable route and adjustment as well as the loose rear rotor fix. Thanks.
    Check that kickstand, it doesn't look locked in!
    IF IT AIN'T RED........LEAVE IT IN THE SHED

Great choice. Welcome and congrats. You got a good month to do some research and work on your 9.

Quote Originally Posted by jhardy View Post
    Check that kickstand, it doesn't look locked in!
    I'm with him, unless it is the angle of the pic your bike is going to fail over if an ant farts (I wouldn't wish that on anyone). The stand should be more to the front. Look at Dommy's profile pic below.

Congrats on the ride, good luck, welcome to the circus, and say goodbye to your savings account once the mod bug bites you.
    Last edited by Grey Ghost; 02-24-2015 at 09:25 AM.
    Truly an enigma wrapped inside a puzzle and placed inside a maze while eating bacon.

&
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Very Active Member Biggielatino's Avatar

Well, it was warmer saturday, but the heavy snow made riding it home an even worse option. So it the bike was trailered for its first trip home.

Here she is, sitting safely in the garage waiting for that first nice day after a thaw.

Congrats and welcome...
    Ok so where are the pic's??

Thanks for the input guys. The kick stand wasn't locked in all the way!! (that would have been a great start to my bike ownership!)