How to make your own trailer full universal coupling

Thread: How to make your own trailer full universal coupling

Default How to make your own trailer full universal coupling

This thread is for those who aren't comfortable or just don't like the standard tow ball and cup hitch for their bike trailers.
    Having had a trailer roll completely on to its lid whilst being towed by a motorcycle, I am one of those people.

It is designed more for the light trailers but could be made beefier if your tow a heavier trailer such as a camper.
    FYI A lot of outback campers in Australia run similar systems.

Start with a piece of flat steel and some steel tubing plus two 10mm galvanised bolts plus nuts and split pins
    Mine are 25mm x 3mm and 25mm dia tube.
    I have not mentioned specific dimensions as they will vary according to how big or small you want to make it.
    Cut in to pieces like so.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-10-26 11.59.06.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	238585

Loosely assembled pre-welding

Name:	2014-10-30 14.11.04.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	238593

Name:	2014-10-30 14.11.17.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	238601

Name:	2014-10-30 14.07.13.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	238609

Welded and had a lick of paint.

Name:	2014-11-12 16.43.09.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	238617

I have welded a square plate on the front because my coupling is recessed in to my drawbar.
    The two nuts welded to the side of the tube are so it can be bolted in from the underneath of my drawbar.
    Quite often I have seen the tube just welded to a steel plate which is either bolted or welded to the drawbar.
    Purely up to you how you do it. This is just o give you guys some ideas.
    Last edited by avago; 02-04-2015 at 02:19 AM.
    A man would be more interested in a womans mind if it bounced gently as she walked.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Continued...
    This is how it looks when installed.

Name:	2014-11-04 19.49.10.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	238625

And this is the trailer it is installed in. (Not quite finished in this pic. WIP)

Name:	2015-01-12 17.02.13.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	238633
    Here is another coupling along the same lines to help with other ideas.

Name:	IMG_4261.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	238641

To use this coupling, all you need is a hitch with a flat tab with a hole in it.
    Put a bolt through with a split pin through it and you are good to go.

Good luck and hope you find this useful.
    A man would be more interested in a womans mind if it bounced gently as she walked.

Banned

Default One I made, Just grease the ball.........

and 480lb trailer I built........... pulled nice.

and tape on wheelie wheels, when I nailed it LOL

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

That's a great set up you got there. Nice solid hitch too. 480ib is not bad for something that size.
    I've got a custom hitch being made at the moment.
    This was the first crack at it but the engineer wouldn't listen and it was too weak.

I'll show you the new one when its done.

Sent from my portable microwave emitter

Avago the set up is nice and at first when you look at it, it looks like small little bolts and wonder how that little shyt is gonna attach to a trailer but after when you see it you understand how big it really is. Nice work. Rick your set up is awesome bro I like the way you attached it to the 9 and wow I can't believe you really pull that thing with the 9, the only other thing is
    lol
    Last edited by some 9; 02-04-2015 at 05:40 AM.
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

Quote Originally Posted by some 9 View Post
    Avago the set up is nice and at first when you look at it, it looks like small little bolts and wonder how that little shyt is gonna attach to a trailer but after when you see it you understand how big it really is. Nice work. Rick your set up is awesome bro I like the way you attached it to the 9 and wow I can't believe you really pull that thing with the 9, the only other thing is
    lol
    Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post

and tape on wheelie wheels, when I nailed it LOL

No car tire in that pic, Rick....and I've seen you when you've nailed it, no wheelie wheels required - like straight out from a cannon

((sorry for the jack, just had to comment...)

Good luck with the trailer!

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. After seeing what happened to one rider here I don't think I'd ever pull a trailer with a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by STL-TIGER View Post
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. After seeing what happened to one rider here I don't think I'd ever pull a trailer with a bike.
    Fair enough. I had a trailer roll after one wheel dropped in to a huge pot hole.
    Was on a big trip round our South Island and there had been huge amounts of rain and lots of land slides. Where the slips had been cleared there were big holes left in the roads. Came round a corner and realised too late to stop so just guided bike between holes. Felt the tug on the bike as the right wheel dropped in the hole and watched it go over in my mirrors. Having a full universal coupling like I have shown saved my ass. Didn't upset the bike at all. Just flipped the trailer back over and away we went. Funniest thing were the expressions of horror on the faces of the people in a car coming toward us lol. I think they were more scared! Haha