M109 Rider Forums banner

Coolant Leak

13K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  cbxer55 
#1 ·
Just wanted to post and let anyone with a newer 9 know that Suzuki isn't making the hose clamps any tighter than they did on the older bikes. I've seen lots of threads on this, but figured it would have been addressed by now. I was wrong.

I've smelled coolant intermittently since I got my bike, maybe 6-8 times on rides, usually at a stop light. I always thought it was coming from one of the cars around me. Yesterday, while I was riding for the scavenger hunt pics, I was smelling it every time I stopped. Decided I should spend some time investigating it today before I ride it anymore. I'm glad I did. I had leaks between the jugs, at the T-piece, upper radiator hose, and either where the hose connects to the bracket for the radiator cap, or from the radiator cap itself - this leak was worse than all the rest and I can't tell which area the coolant was coming from. The hose clamp was loose, but I really think the cap was leaking too. I'm going to replace it just to be safe. Good news is that it gave me a reason to install my chrome grill and stebel air horn since I had everything torn down anyway. I'm going to finish it up tomorrow after I get a new radiator cap. I'll post some pics of where the leaks were in a few minutes.

#4 ·
nice glad you found the problem obviously they didn't recognized it

#6 ·
I have a 2012. Had the coolant leak as well. You probably didn't see the post because it was buried in an engine guard sale thread. I posted pics here as well. Look at post 8 in this thread:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253234

2012 Suzuki Boulevard M109R

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

#15 ·
I checked and tightened all clamps I could get to with just the radiator plastics removed. I understand there are also inlet and exit hoses between the cylinders. I did not get in there. No smell. No leaks.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2012 Suzuki Boulevard M109R

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

#9 ·
I would not think the cap would be leaking unless it isn't on right or maybe not tightened all the way. Not saying it isn't possible, but I don't think I have ever heard of one leaking there. Mine was leaking out where the overflow hose went to the overflow tank and left the same mark on the radiator. I just cut it and reattached it and it never leaked there again. Hopefully that's all you have on that. Of course, I had the hose clamps leaking too, but I think it would be a better question to hear of the ones that never had a leak. There is a clamp over the radiator that is probably leaking too, I just pulled the tank and tightened all of them.

#10 ·
I'm on my 3rd 9 and my other 2 didn't have any problems with leaks. Since I bought my 3rd 07 last November I've been smelling coolant interment also. I pulled everything off and checked all clamps and some were loose. I didn't smell coolant for about 6 months. About a month ago I started smelling it all the time. I pressure tested the radiator and pressure held fine. I tested the cap and it failed every time. I have since ordered a new cap and I still get a smell every now and then. I'm kind of lost at what my next step will be. I guess I'm going to pull it all apart again and look deeper.

#11 ·
I am very surprised that Suzuki used adjustable hose clamps. You would think, like most car manufacturers they would use pressure hose clamps that need to be pried to be be removed.

I also make sure I tighten any clamp when I have any part of the bike apart ... pain in the rear !!

#12 ·
Well, I got the coolant leaks all taken care of. Stebel horn and Irate mesh grill are both installed, and it is all back together with no leftover or missing parts. That is always a good thing. :bigthumbsup: Hahaha!

Just a couple things I noticed while installing my horn with Ryan's harness that I figured I would share. I sent him an email letting him know these things as well. His harness is made for the horn to be mounted in the headlight bucket, but I think it was designed based on the older bikes with the first generation buckets without the tach in it. The Gen2 buckets have a frame inside of them that you have to remove and attach the stebel horn to the inside portion of the framework. That is the only place it will fit. when you put it back together, it places the horn pretty deep in the bucket and it is a challenge to get the harness to reach, especially the negative wire that attaches to the horn. It wasn't too bad getting it to reach the relay, but the relay has to be mounted close to the horn. It gives you a couple of extra inches. I recommended to Ryan that it would be a good idea to make the harness for the gen2 buckets a little longer since it has to reach pretty deep in the bucket.

The other thing I noticed was that the polarity was reversed on my stock horn compared to the instructions he has for the install. I'm not 100% sure, but I was thinking... If someone simply followed the instructions and didn't pay close attention to which wire was on the top contact and which was on the bottom, it would reverse the polarity at the relay and I think that might cause the relay to stay open even if you are not honking the horn. As difficult as it is to get to the wires on the stock horn, it would be very easy to not notice which one is plugged into which contact.

I didn't get to go for a ride afterwards because it started to rain just as I was finishing up. I did start it up and let it run thru a couple of fan cycles. Just to confirm there were no leaks. I guess I won't be certain until I ride it, but so far so good! Hopefully the weather man is wrong and it doesn't rain all weekend like they forecasted.

#13 · (Edited)
The other thing I noticed was that the polarity was reversed on my stock horn

Poseidon
You can switch the two wires on the stock horn because when your ignition is "ON", power comes in to the horn through one of them, then goes through the coil inside the horn and exits through the other wire, that means they are both "positive" all the time the ignition is "ON". Your other wire comes to your horn pushbutton, which when pushed, effectively completes the circuit by grounding it and the horn beeps.

Was your Radiator Cap leaking? Or was it the return small hose right under the Cap?

#14 ·
I couldn't find anyone locally that had a radiator cap in stock. They all wanted $35-$40 and "it will be in next week". If I have to order one, I'll do it myself online and save a few bucks and have it in 2-3 days. I hate dealerships!!!

I left the original on it and so far so good, but I haven't ridden it yet. I just let it go thru a couple of fan cycles in neutral. I think it was the main hose behind the radiator cap. The hose clamp was pretty loose. Main reason I thought it was the cap leaking was because of the coolant spots on the bracket for the cap. We'll see for sure on the next ride I guess.

#19 ·
My 06 has what seems to be two coolant leaks. One manifests itself as coolant running down the left side of the engine, when parked after a ride (not every time either, intermittent). The other shows up as coolant spots on the starter motor. So one under the tank and one under the radiator shroud. Guess when it starts getting warm again, I'll strip it and fix them. Had one right after I bought the bike, which was behind the right air cleaner.

#21 ·
Thanks for that info. For sure I get more on my starter than I do running down the left side. I'll take the tank and shroud off when I get another reasonably warm day. Shroud on mine is easy since I have the Low and Mean scoop. Don't have to f--k with them darn fasteners Suzuki used. Those were kind of infuriating just to get off, I would hate to have to put them back on again. GRRRRR!!!!! :D

#22 ·
I've gotten used to the plastic push pin fasteners. They are EVERYWHERE on my ATV's. I will say that the ones Suzuki uses on the 9's are a little better quality and easier to deal with than the ones on my ATV's. The ones on the 9 I can normally remove with my fingers, even the ones under the shroud. On the ATV's there is no way to get ahold of them and you have to pry them up with a flat head screwdriver. I always end up tearing a few up trying to get them out. I bought a bag of 50 of each size they used on the ATV's just to keep on hand. I love the ones on the side panels on the 9 that are under the seat. The ones you push in to release. Those are really easy!

#23 ·
Rode the bike to work one day this week. When I got home there was a WHOLE LOT of coolant all over both sides of the motor, coming from between the V. Took off the air cleaners and found the source. Behind the right air cleaner, there is a hose which curves over and goes from the rear cylinder to a junction block of sorts behind the left air cleaner. Unfortunately, the clamp that is loose is the one that connects to this unction block. Cannot see said clamp at all from the right side. Can only get a small glimpse of it from the left. The bolt is on the top. DAMN!!! Not sure yet what I am going to use to tighten this. Not sure I can without taking everything above it off.

Oh well, it's nine years old. I guess something was bound to happen eventually.

What a mess!!!!!!:eek:

I got a few trick tools that may work. One way or another, I'll have it fixed and back together today.

#24 ·
Rode the bike to work one day this week. When I got home there was a WHOLE LOT of coolant all over both sides of the motor, coming from between the V. Took off the air cleaners and found the source. Behind the right air cleaner, there is a hose which curves over and goes from the rear cylinder to a junction block of sorts behind the left air cleaner. Unfortunately, the clamp that is loose is the one that connects to this unction block. Cannot see said clamp at all from the right side. Can only get a small glimpse of it from the left. The bolt is on the top. DAMN!!! Not sure yet what I am going to use to tighten this. Not sure I can without taking everything above it off.

Oh well, it's nine years old. I guess something was bound to happen eventually.

What a mess!!!!!!:eek:

I got a few trick tools that may work. One way or another, I'll have it fixed and back together today.
If there is enough room, something like this might work.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...p-00947478000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

#28 ·
I couldn't believe how loose the clamps were on my 2013. Don't Suzuki read these forums! :D

I'm guessing they fired the guy or he retired and the 'hose clamp tightener' position hasn't been filled at the factory yet.

Glad your getting some good riding weather. I miss the blue skies of OK.

#26 ·
Got some nice weather the next two days. So going to get out there and burn off the last of my 11,000 mile Dunlop Elite III 250. At the same time, I'll know if I finally nipped that leak in the bud. Got a full tank of 93 octane with a gallon of Sunoco 110 octane racing fuel mixed in for good measure, as I'm going to be beating it like a red-headed stepchild. :D

#27 ·
In your third pic! Where that 1" hose goes into the front of the back head. Thats where my 9 leaked, and yes right at the fitting! Tightend the the clamp and fixed my issue, BTY it had to be the smallest opened end wrench I've EVER USED:eek:

#30 · (Edited)
If you go to Sears and buy an ignition wrench set, they go down to I believe 1/8 inch. Really tiny. The wrench I used to tighten that clamp was a 15/64. However, it started turning off the nut at a certain point, less than I would have preferred to tighten it. A 6 mm was no better. I really think those clamps are 5 mm. I also think a six-point box end 15/64 would do well, but you would need to shave the wall thickness of the box end down to clear the clamp body. I am on the lookout for either a 5 mm or a 15/64 six point box end wrench tomorrow. Think I know where I can get one, or both. If I find either, it's off with the right side air cleaner, and I'm putting more torque on that dratted clamp before it loosens and makes another ugly mess all over my nice shiny chrome motor.

I lost a lot of coolant on this last leak. Made one heck of a mess of my motor. That coolant looks ugly when it gets fried onto hot chrome. Should have seen in between the cylinders, since I park my bike upright at home in a chock. What a mess!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.