What oil do you guys use?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What oil do you guys use?

Default What oil do you guys use?

I just purchased my '09 M109 special edition. I just checked the oil an it appears a quart low. What oil do you guys recommend for the beast?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

From the factory, or if a Suzuki dealer has worked on it recently, 10W-40 synthetic of Suzuki's house brand.

Myself, I use their 20W-50 petroleum oil. I've never had a lick of trouble with the clutch or transmission on my 06 using that oil. A friend who has run the synthetic in his 06 since new, has had to have the second gear rebuilt twice. Not saying the oil is a cause or a help, just sayin what's worked for me.

You'll most likely receive quite a few different opinions on this one but the most common would probably be...Mobile 1 Racing 4T Full-Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, AMSOil Full-Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, or Suzuki/OEM Conventional Oil.
    2007 M109R LE: Kuryakyn Scythe II Mirrors, Xtreme Revolutions Stage 3 Intake Kit, Xtreme Revolutions Floorboards, Rivco Tach Relocation Kit, Rivco Brake Pedal, RIS Designs Grille, Corba Fi2000 POWRPRO, Heal Tech SpeedoHealer, Heal Tech Gi-Pro, Back Off XP Module, Highway Hawk Taillight Cover, Swint LEDs, Greggs Side Cover Accents, Hard Krome 3" Big Straights Exhaust, Raw Design Storage Box, Suzuki Crash Bars, Suzuki Gel Seats, and much more

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Would Honda brand oil hurt this bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
    Would Honda brand oil hurt this bike?
    No it would not. No oil brand should cause harm to any motor, no matter whom manufactured it. There may be exceptions, such as I heard the newer vettes required the use of Mobil 1. But they are truly exceptions. Most vehicles you can pour whatever oil you have in there, just be conscious of the oil's weight.

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    No it would not. No oil brand should cause harm to any motor, no matter whom manufactured it. There may be exceptions, such as I heard the newer vettes required the use of Mobil 1. But they are truly exceptions. Most vehicles you can pour whatever oil you have in there, just be conscious of the oil's weight.
    This statement isn't entirely correct. Where "wet" clutch systems are present, a special oil, that does not include friction modifiers is necessary to keep from causing damage to the internal clutch plates. The Suzuki Boulevard M109R utilizes a wet clutch and therefore, requires a "motorcycle-specific" oil blend.
    Last edited by SiPPMSH; 11-03-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    2007 M109R LE: Kuryakyn Scythe II Mirrors, Xtreme Revolutions Stage 3 Intake Kit, Xtreme Revolutions Floorboards, Rivco Tach Relocation Kit, Rivco Brake Pedal, RIS Designs Grille, Corba Fi2000 POWRPRO, Heal Tech SpeedoHealer, Heal Tech Gi-Pro, Back Off XP Module, Highway Hawk Taillight Cover, Swint LEDs, Greggs Side Cover Accents, Hard Krome 3" Big Straights Exhaust, Raw Design Storage Box, Suzuki Crash Bars, Suzuki Gel Seats, and much more

Make sure you checked your oil properly before you top it up
    very slightly modified

Very Active Member geofftl1000r's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiPPMSH View Post
    This statement isn't entirely correct. Where "wet" clutch systems are present, a special oil, consisting of friction modifiers is necessary to keep from causing damage to the internal clutch plates. The Suzuki Boulevard M109R utilizes a wet clutch and therefore, requires a "motorcycle-specific" oil blend.

I do like that 'motorcycle specific oil' does it come from dinosaurs that rode Harleys?

And it's the friction modifiers you want to avoid. Teflon/PTFE or whatever they add to the high mpg oils doesn't really go well with clutches. Having seen the pictures of all the dry clutches I'm not even sure the 9 is a 'proper' wet clutch. Certainly the driest wet clutch I've ever seen.

And to the OP my personal choice is a known brand Semi-synthetic. Shell Rotella I think it is I always used in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by geofftl1000r View Post
    I do like that 'motorcycle specific oil' does it come from dinosaurs that rode Harleys?

...And it's the friction modifiers you want to avoid. Teflon/PTFE or whatever they add to the high mpg oils doesn't really go well with clutches...
    Correct, my apologies for the incorrect statement.

+1 on the Shell Rotella. I use it in all of my bikes.

- My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

Very Active Member

Mobile 1, 15w50

Very Active Member jerrythekingpin's Avatar

what your suppose to put oil in these things

This statement isn't entirely correct. Where "wet" clutch systems are present, a special oil, that does not include friction modifiers is necessary to keep from causing damage to the internal clutch plates. The Suzuki Boulevard M109R utilizes a wet clutch and therefore, requires a "motorcycle-specific" oil blend.
    A good point to keep in mind !!!!
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
    Me too ... cheap at Wal-Mart (in the US)
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

Correct, my apologies for the incorrect statement.
    Besides additives that have friction reducing ingredients, you want to stay from oils marked as "energy conserving" oils as they may contain friction modifiers which can mess up a wet clutch. If you absolutely want to use a wet clutch compatible oil you will look for the JASO certification which means it's approved for a wet clutch.

Let me make it simple for you. Open the owners manual to the oil section. Look at the rating it says to use and then buy whatever you want that meets the rating. If that don't suit you I use Mobil 1 V-Twin in the 9 and Racing 4T in my Honda. Whatever brand you can come up with someone on this forum uses it. Good Luck and don't overcomplicate it.

Very Active Member

Just look at the back of the bottle, ensure the API rating does not say Energy Conserving

Banned

NO NOOOOOOOOOOOO Not another oil thread......LOL I use

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post

Works GREAT it is it at a low cost for what you are getting. Plus Wally World carries it. I used to run Mobil racing 4t.
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Shell Rotella T6 for me too. Full synthetic at a reasonable price, and I've had no problems with it. I've got 38,000 miles on mine and most have been with this oil.

Banned

wanna ask about tires?? LOL Sorry, I can't help maself.............

I'm gonna try to get one of these batches on ma 9. WISH me luck

Last edited by Nemo; 11-04-2014 at 03:14 AM.

You drinkin again Nemo?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Play View Post
    You drinkin again Nemo?
    Nope Dave. Just worked my ass off today. Way past dark..................I dont need to drink to be nuts,,,,,,YOU know dat LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Nope Dave. Just worked my ass off today. Way past dark..................I dont need to drink to be nuts,,,,,,YOU know dat LOL
    It was dark at 5:30, I've been drinking since I got home. I may not need to drink to be nuts, but it sure makes it a lot more fun! Nothing like drinking and being on the net!

I lost my cursor though, I can't find it anywhere!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Play View Post
    It was dark at 5:30, I've been drinking since I got home. I may not need to drink to be nuts, but it sure makes it a lot more fun! Nothing like drinking and being on the net!

I lost my cursor though, I can't find it anywhere!
    that;s standard procedure here................. spellcheck is a POS also..................

Blue Murder - Blue Murder (1989)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF_zBTKYOx0

Last edited by Nemo; 11-04-2014 at 03:38 AM.

Very Active Member

Valvoline 4 stroke conventional...

Now it's more confusing
    One who leads with no followers is merely taking a walk

Very Active Member hogeaterM109R's Avatar

Default anyone

Anyone use Klotz fully synthetic? I'm running Klotz 10/40w in my 9. The transmission seemed clunky on the oem suzuki oil that the dealer used. I switched to klotz per service managers recommendation also a friend. The 1st to 2nd gear change seems to be smoother after the oil got in there and cleaned up all the moving parts. about 300 miles. Has a very unique smell also and looks like strawberry concentrate. My friend also told me to stay away from ams oil. however that is what my father runs in his 9. No issues so far. I know this is another oil thread and everyone has different opinions Just seeing if anyone has ran Klotz and thier experience?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by hogeaterM109R View Post
    Anyone use Klotz fully synthetic? I'm running Klotz 10/40w in my 9. The transmission seemed clunky on the oem suzuki oil that the dealer used. I switched to klotz per service managers recommendation also a friend. The 1st to 2nd gear change seems to be smoother after the oil got in there and cleaned up all the moving parts. about 300 miles. Has a very unique smell also and looks like strawberry concentrate. My friend also told me to stay away from ams oil. however that is what my father runs in his 9. No issues so far. I know this is another oil thread and everyone has different opinions Just seeing if anyone has ran Klotz and thier experience?
    Never even heard of Klotz oil...doesn't mean it's no good, just never heard of it...the original owner of my 9 used Amsoil, nothing wrong with it, I just think it's too expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    Never even heard of Klotz oil...doesn't mean it's no good, just never heard of it...the original owner of my 9 used Amsoil, nothing wrong with it, I just think it's too expensive...
    I have heard good things about Klotz oil in the past. I use AMSOil 20w-50 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil for the case and AMSOil Severe Gear 75w-90 for the differential. Zero clutch problems and zero transmission problems...