Had a Ride of My lifetime Aug 2014.. Wild Connies and a Wing...TON OF PIC'S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had a Ride of My lifetime Aug 2014.. Wild Connies and a Wing...TON OF PIC'S

Default Had a Ride of My lifetime Aug 2014.. Wild Connies and a Wing...TON OF PIC'S

well this past AUG I had a ride of a lifetime with 2 Great Friends and Lots of Miles!! We headed out on the 2nd of Aug from Ohio on 2 connies and a GoldWing...(we all own 9's as well) John (aka John....just John on here) on his Goldwing, Chip (aka 08-109LE) on his Connie and me on a Connie as well.. Or plan was to get as close to Colorado as we could the first day so the second day isn't so long into Denver. Our first stop to stay a couple days with Chips Daughter and Ride a couple rides then continue.. ME HEADING OUT!

Our first stop was ST. Louis for Lunch with Lucas (AKA .... can't remember...lol)

​Lucas paid for lunch and took a pic for us... Great guy and great friend of ours !!! Thanks buddy!

ME, JOHN and CHIP leaving STL

We got as far as Topeka, KS the first day.. 720 miles... Rested for the night. Hit it early to get across Kanas and into Denver and a decent time. 542 miles to Chips Daughters Place.. Not too many pictures across Kanas.. FLAT AND STRAIGHT.. Chip and I had a contest to see who could get the highest speed on our GPS (goldwing isn't fast enough lol ) ... we swapped the top spot back and forth... Chip won.. 136 mph I think..

First Ride out of Denver was up Rocky Mountain National Park.. With Chips Daughter and we picked up Chips brother in law who rode up from AZ..

Chips Brother in law... Chip and his Daughter.. John staring at the mountains..

Pulled over too try to get a better look...

there's 2 of them up there, right on the edge eating grass...

it started to rain.... then snow a little so it was pretty cold up there....

The Next day we headed down towards Colorado Springs to run to the top of Pikes Peak.. pic below was half way up.

Headed back to hotel after Pikes Peak...
    Got up the next morning to head out to ride Colorado and end up at a friend of Chips he worked for in the Air Force.. NOT A Ugly Road in Colorado..

So we ended up at Hartsel, CO, and Chip said we need to head south on hi way 9... till we hit a certain road.. WE didn't take any pictures going in but this is the pictures going out.. ON A DIRT ROAD FOR AT LEAST 3 miles.. Chips buddy lives OFF THE GRID, has well, and septic with all in house plumbing ... NICE HOUSE, beautiful view and GREAT PEOPLE! Views and sunset view from his cabin and then the road out to the black top..

Next few are the road out.... quite peaceful and not a soul around for miles!

Place we stayed... UP there..lol

Headed out... to hit 550 (million dollar hi way) into durango, co where we would stay for the night and arrive in the dark... Saw the car in front of us hit a deer so we were all puckered up for about 50 to 60 miles watching for deer..

new few pictures are a stop along the million dollar hi way ...

We left Durango to head to Bryce Canyon, Utah..

an guy and his family pulled over in the middle of no where and asked us if we wanted a picture of all three of us... nice and crazy at the same time.... LOL

Hit Arches

On the way to Bryce

Bryce Canyon National Park...

you can Hike down in there...

so we spend the night there.... Then Off to Salt Lake City... spend the night there (with a bout of food sickness ) Thank you olive garden.. then from there, after recouping a bit.. Off to Cody, WY to spend the night and then hit yellowstone the next morning...

left Cody the next morning and headed north... Cant remember the hi way but it was the best road so far this trip it went thru the Bighorn National Forest..

So we rolled into SD a day after Sturgis 2014... to avoid the mess ..
    and get cheaper tshirts!!

Stayed in Hill City, SD..

went to crazy horse and mt rushmore

NEEDLES

Met up with a fellow 9'er the next day to show us around.. Ted's (can't find his screen name..sorry bro) a cool guy and showed us sturgis ..

Thanks Brother!

Spend the night and hit the road the next morning across SD ... chip picked up a girl in Wall, SD in the wall drug ..

Hit Sioux Falls, SD ... My home town..

the falls of Sioux Falls...

Saw some family and friends for a day and then hit the road back to Ohio.. With one more stop on the way ..

It was 14 days and almost 6000 miles for me.. Chips was a little farther cause he had to go North of Detroit and little less for John..

For sure a ride of a life time with some great friends!! Thanks for going Chip and John!! AWESOME AWESOME RIDE!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member geofftl1000r's Avatar

Great photo's and a great ride!

OK ....... now you got me all sick about it again !!
    Has to be black and dripping with chrome !

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

LOL sorry Andy.... coming up there next yr! :)

Fan freakin tastic....congrats on that dream trip. You and Stav know how to do it.

Klock Werks Flare windshield...Baker Hand Wings...Grip Puppies...passenger pegs removed.
    Rivco anodized highway pegs...12V/USB outlet...Superbrite LED flashing brake lamps.

Definitely ride of a lifetime! Awesome pics!

BOTM - January 2016
    2011 M109R LE....Not quite stock!
    I'm only GRUMPY when I'm not riding 1SICK9!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar

Thanks for sharing. That looks like the ride of a lifetime. I want to do a ride like that on the spyder one day.

Banned

Default WOW, What a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the ride of the life time for sure. Thanks for all the pics

AWESOME is all I can say. I would love ride those scenic areas as well.

Great Group ride , thanks for the pics

Great pics! I know y'all had a great time!

Couple of questions....
    1. Did y'all get caught skinny dipping?
    2. Did you burn down any biker bars?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1moore View Post
    Great pics! I know y'all had a great time!

Couple of questions....
    1. Did y'all get caught skinny dipping?
    2. Did you burn down any biker bars?
    Haha Rob... that was rule #1 no skinny Dipping as bad as Chip wanted too! LOL

And nope Chip didn't end up giving his bike away for a side car...

Great pics, great ride! wow, 720 first day? too much for me on a 9
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Great pics, great ride! wow, 720 first day? too much for me on a 9
    Thus the reason I bought a Concours C14... :) I couldn't do it on my 9 either..

Awesome trip.. I really miss my C14, the fastes way to see the country....

Those are some beautiful pictures Eric. Thank you for sharing bro and thise are some great memories there.

Default Awesome !!

A trip that screams Connie !! Great pics Eric,thanks for sharing...this ride will be on my bucket list for sure!
    Stav

This is why I want a victory vision for trips like this, thanks for the pics I'm inspired
    the probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act

Smile

I have to say that Eric and Chip had this trip planed real well and im still talking about the great times we spent seeing the sights .The communicators really helped make the trip what it was . The pictures look great Eric and hope we can do more trips like it. For the record I let the Connie's have there fun but we know the wing still rules .

I envy you guys for doing such trip! Very nice view by the way...

My turn...

Let me start by admitting...I am a slacker!!

I told John and Eric I would compile a video with all their GoPro and camera video and photos as well as mine.

I'm working on it, but it is taking a LONG time...sorry brothers, I promise I will get it done, but it is taking me longer than I wanted.

OK, now that I have that out of the way, here is a little summary of the trip from my perspective:

Wow!

OK, that about sums it up.

Seriously, it was the ride of a lifetime. I lived in Colorado Springs for 13 years while I was in the Air Force and drove all over Colorado. Riding it, including up Pikes Peak, was a whole different experience. Doesn't even compare.

Here is my trusty steed, packed and ready to go...

Before we left on Saturday morning, I rode down to John's and stayed at his place Friday after work. Eric met us near Dayton and we headed west.

John and I needed to 'carb up' before the ride so we went to the local cancer fundraiser baked goods auction where he generously bid on the most amazing cake ever. Here is John about to dig in to a piece of a $300 cake!! Actually, we were also taunting Eric as we texted him these pics.

Riding Rocky Mountain National Park and the next day taking the back roads from Denver to Pikes Peak via Woodland Park (hat tip to my bro-in-law Dan for showing us that amazing route) was extraordinary. With the beauty we saw in CO, UT, WY, and surprisingly, SD, it was downright dangerous at times taking in the awesome views while riding the twisty mountain roads! I say 'surprisingly' about SD because the Black Hills and Mt Rushmore area had some of the best riding...fantastic roads and beautiful countryside.

On our way to Rocky Mountain National Park

This is the famous Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. This is where The Shining was filmed, starring Jack Nicholson. Estes Park is the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park.

It was great seeing my kids as well, and some good friends, Ed and Vickie Murphy. Ed and Vickie were kind enough to have us overnight at their gorgeous "cabin" in the mountains west of Colorado Springs. They made amazing burgers and brats and we rested and visited before heading to Utah by way of Black Canyon of the Gunnison and the 'Million Dollar Highway' (CO 550).

While there were some long, straight roads heading into UT from Durango, CO, riding the Bryce Canyon area was fantastic. I don't think I have enough colorful adjectives for this narrative, so awesome and fantastic and gorgeous are going to be a bit overused.

I'd say the ride from Salt Lake City to Cody, WY was probably the worst as it was nearly straight the whole way. It was, in a way, oddly beautiful, in that it was so desolate and virtually no sign of humanity around. That was actually fortuitous as Eric was very sick the night before with food poisoning and the easy, straight ride allowed him to recover. Have to say he was quite the trooper sucking it up and riding 500+ after hurling violntly all night and not getting but a few hours of sleep. A boring terrain was also true of the ride from I-70 south towards Bryce Canyon for about 100 miles on UT 24, until we got to Capitol Reef area and then it got awesome!!

Perhaps the most exhilarating riding of this trip was the Beartooth Pass segment heading out of Yellowstone on 212 which traverses the border of WY and MT. I actually really enjoyed Yellowstone, but we could have spent a week there (Same is true with Bryce, Arches, and Black Hills areas). We rode from Cody, WY, west into Yellowstone to see Old Faithful. Then we took the road north to see Mammoth Hot Springs on the northwest corner of Yellowstone. Riding from there, we made some quick 'audibles' on the route and, at John's recommendation from a friend, we took 212 across Beartooth Pass. That was some of the most amazing riding and breathtaking as well. That road is freaking fantastic! Someone sent me a link about 'The 3 Gnarliest Motorcycle Rides in the US'...the ride in and around Bryce Canyon NP, 212 Beartooth Pass, and the Dragon are the three. I am happy to say, we road two of them on this trip and rode the Dragon with John and Eric earlier in the summer to prep for this ride. So, I got all three this summer!

As if a GoldWing isn't already comfortable enough, John takes it to the next level...looks like he is reclining as he rides through Yellowstone. I got a good laugh watching him do this and had to take a picture.

A quick, early August snowball fight at the top of Beartooth Pass. John ran away screaming like a girl. Naw, he didn't...just kidding!

A beautiful vista taken from Beartooth on Hwy 212

Here is a shot of our room in Cody.

Not enough outlets for charging all of our stuff, so John took the bull by the horns! We all got a great laugh out of that! But hey, it worked!!

After spending another night in Cody, we headed to Hill City, SD to stay for a couple of nights and ride around Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, and went to see the Crazy Horse Monument. There were some 400+ degree turns on the roads around Mt Rushmore. It was awesome to ride through the small one-lane tunnels and come out and around only to look down and see the same road we just did a 360 on but we were still in a turn! It was like a parking garage ramp! Wonderful roads in that area as well. I have to say, I am glad we missed the Sturgis crowd!! A fellow 9er, Ted, as Eric mentioned, was good enough to show us around and even took us by the Full Throttle Saloon.

Left to Right:

John, Chip, and Eric

Crazy Horse Monument

Riding across SD towards Sioux Falls wasn't too amazing...but the wind was! I think we got nice even wear on the right shoulder of our tires as we rode dang near a 45 degree angle into a cross wind so strong, it was like riding in a hurricane!

Got to meet Eric's beautiful daughter and her husband and stayed overnight in Sioux Falls. The next day we headed for the home stretch and stopped in Des Moines to have lunch with a friend of John's. After lunch, I promptly dropped my phone trying to put it in the phone case on my handle bars and smashed the screen. Ugh. That was $130 I wasn't planning to spend! :(" smilieid="18" class="inlineimg":(" smilieid="18" class="inlineimg">" smilieid="18" class="inlineimg">

After staying over night in Bloomington, IL, we said our goodbyes and I headed north into MI and they headed south to OH.

Epic trip, boys. I laughed more on that trip with those guys than I have in a long time. Great time...and great travel mates! You guys were awesome! Let's go again!

My total trip mileage:

That should do for now as this post is probably longer than most of you cared to read!

Great ride and great friends...life doesn't get any better than this!
    Last edited by 08-109LE; 10-20-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Here's a close up of how John's mind works... lol

Duct taped his power strip to the wall...lol lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1413800058807.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	220218  

Nice ride and good pics
    Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number its number is M109R.

Loved the pictures, what a great ride! Although now I am depressed. I don't know how anyone can get the time and resources together to do something like this.
    Previous Bikes: 2001 Honda Shadow VT750, 2005 Suzuki M50, 2005 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Suzuki M109R LE. 1982 Honda CB900F, 2003 Honda ST1300, 2012 Rocket III Roadster Phantom Black
    Current Bikes: 2007 Yamaha MT-01 & 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post
    Loved the pictures, what a great ride! Although now I am depressed. I don't know how anyone can get the time and resources together to do something like this.

just setting your mind to it and making it happen.... I told myself when I turned 46 I wanted to ride out west before I hit 50... So found a great C14 and started making it comfortable and doing some long rides to build up my butt memory ... lol Then Chip said, dam you bought a C14? I said yup I am gonna do it.. SO he said could he go with? I said of course! lol He found a C14 a month or 2 later... LOL And then John said could he go? OF course I said .... and then he found a Goldwing... LOL THE TRIP WAS ON!! lol I get 4 weeks and can only take 2 weeks at a time... so put in for it a yr in advance... as did the other two. I wanted to ride to the west coast but as I sat down and figured it out, it was gonna be a ride out and ride back, no time to see anything.. SO I went to plan B and talked with the guys .. And we figured some of the things we wanted to see, and the list was on. Chip did most of the planning and route planning.. Thanks Buddy!! Had a yr and half to save $$ and ended up spending about $2400
    ish .... about $700 to $800 in gas. rest in tshirts, hotels, food... TRIP was priceless !!!

Ghey-Fest!

Quote Originally Posted by STL-TIGER View Post
    Ghey-Fest!
    And your invited

Quote Originally Posted by STL-TIGER View Post
    Ghey-Fest!
    Quote Originally Posted by CMHGUY View Post
    And your invited

Not invited! He's the damn club PRESIDENT!!!

And, as you can see, he is jealous!! :-P

Very Active Member

Wow awesome story my friend. Thanks a lot for sharing with us. :) incredible pictures and views of the nature.

Using Tapatalk
    New member on m109riders.com. Hope to get more knowledge and tricks.

Wow, when I seen the name on this thread, I thought of the ride I just had!! I just can't remember her name.
    However beautiful pic's and one hell of a ride for sure. Just different than the ride I got Plus I'd bet your ride last longer! Thanks for sharing those pic.
    Owner of The Rarest M109R, THE 2006 Burple. THE ONE Suzuki Promised, TO NEVER make again!! Do to IT BEING, JUST to FAST for the General PUBLIC!