Fi2000r what pot to dial?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Fi2000r what pot to dial?

  1. #1
    Very Active Member PanamaJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Panama, Central America
    Posts
    913

    Question Fi2000r what pot to dial? 2000 - 3000 RPM Stutter SOLVED!

    Hi again,

    I have been playing with the settings of the fi2000r and I am missing a little bit of fine tuning.

    So here is the deal:
    If the bike is slowly cruising at 30-40kmh on 3rd gear at 3000rpm and begins to hesitate a bit, what pot should I dial up or down to fix this?

    I can figure out if it's lean or rich or what, can't tell if it is bad gas or sparks or even something else and it's driving me crazy not figuring it out

    Thanks for your inputs!
    Last edited by PanamaJack; 10-01-2014 at 11:17 AM. Reason: solved

    2.25"Bones/2"Risers/StebelHorn/TitaniumFeelers/EngineGuards/StrdCutGel eat/K&NAir&OilFilters/JoeFloridaLED/LEDVoltimeter/GIPRO/USBdoc/Debeveared/FI2000/o2Sensor'sEliminator/KuryBlkGrips/PushPinMod /MotorMounts/Duck'sCovers

    IMAGE TOO WIDE, CAN BE NO MORE THAN 800 PIXELS.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member geofftl1000r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    921

    Default

    Not sure 3000rpm in 3rd is 25mph.......?

    Couldn't you just try a few turns in both directions a see what your bike likes?

    Does the 3 pot Fi2000 have a 'cruise' pot to set like the power pro?

  4. #3

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member shakeNbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    244

    Default

    3,000rpm is the spot in my power band where the bike becomes very lean. I was under the impression that this was because of a lack of back pressure with my aftermarket pipes. There is no fix for me in this case. You may also notice a slight decrease in torque at this point (I do) if you are running some type of different exhaust other than stock. What mods do you have done?

    White 07', Cobra Dragsters, 2" YanaShiki drop, FI2000R, TRE, DDM 6K HID, 250 Rear, Custom LED Setup from NSRiar

  7. #5
    Very Active Member PanamaJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Panama, Central America
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geofftl1000r View Post
    Not sure 3000rpm in 3rd is 25mph.......?

    Couldn't you just try a few turns in both directions a see what your bike likes?

    Does the 3 pot Fi2000 have a 'cruise' pot to set like the power pro?
    No it doesn't just 3 pot dials

    Quote Originally Posted by shakeNbake View Post
    3,000rpm is the spot in my power band where the bike becomes very lean. I was under the impression that this was because of a lack of back pressure with my aftermarket pipes. There is no fix for me in this case. You may also notice a slight decrease in torque at this point (I do) if you are running some type of different exhaust other than stock. What mods do you have done?

    I have notice the same thing.. I got duck's covers and 2 to 1 homemade pipe.Besides the fi2000r I have a gipro and a Rainey's revo (exhaust valve actuator dummy?)

    I am very positive it got to do with the settings of the first or second dial. I have tried 0-0-0 and it has worked fine for a while.. Then it start acting up and I turned it 1-0-0 and it works for a while...

    After a while playing with it I ended up with .5-1-1 and it was working until today again..

    Don't know if the weather have any say on this, I live near the ocean on a very humid hot environment, and the gas is crap here :( althought I did change the fuel filter earlier this year.

    2.25"Bones/2"Risers/StebelHorn/TitaniumFeelers/EngineGuards/StrdCutGel eat/K&NAir&OilFilters/JoeFloridaLED/LEDVoltimeter/GIPRO/USBdoc/Debeveared/FI2000/o2Sensor'sEliminator/KuryBlkGrips/PushPinMod /MotorMounts/Duck'sCovers

    IMAGE TOO WIDE, CAN BE NO MORE THAN 800 PIXELS.

  8. #6
    Very Active Member PanamaJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Panama, Central America
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geofftl1000r View Post
    Not sure 3000rpm in 3rd is 25mph.......?
    You are right I double checked.. the problem was easily repeated over and over again at 2500rpm on 3erd between 55kmh and 60kmh. I did this check on the ride back home.

    I tuned it back to 0 0 0.. and will start over again

    2.25"Bones/2"Risers/StebelHorn/TitaniumFeelers/EngineGuards/StrdCutGel eat/K&NAir&OilFilters/JoeFloridaLED/LEDVoltimeter/GIPRO/USBdoc/Debeveared/FI2000/o2Sensor'sEliminator/KuryBlkGrips/PushPinMod /MotorMounts/Duck'sCovers

    IMAGE TOO WIDE, CAN BE NO MORE THAN 800 PIXELS.

  9. #7
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    reality
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    IIRC, the first is for idle and cruise. Second comes in under acceleration and third is upper rpm and WOT. Start with 1st pot at 1 and 2nd pot at .5 Work them up 1/2 at a time until you notice a difference. Do the second a little more if your problem is under acceleration. Also check to see that the led's are actually coming on when revving. After 1.5 just adjust them 1 at a time. If you get to where the bike is blubbery and exhaust is black, you went to far. You might have another issue, too.

  10. #8
    Radio Active Member Zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    22,464

    Default

    First pot is low speed running, 3000 rpm is probably slightly above where it adjusts. 2nd pot is for acceleration, 3rd pot adds more fuel across the board (think of enlarging the main jet on a carburetor).

    I'd try turning the first pot up to see if that helps, if it doesn't, turn the 3rd one up. That third one just needs adjusted a little to make a big difference. You only do the 2nd pot if it's stumbling on acceleration.






  11. #9
    Very Active Member asillito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    957

    Default If all else fails ... read the instructions

    Here is a link to the install instructions ... it explains the function of each pot ... http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/in...BLV92-1845.pdf
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

  12. #10
    Very Active Member PanamaJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Panama, Central America
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    First pot is low speed running, 3000 rpm is probably slightly above where it adjusts. 2nd pot is for acceleration, 3rd pot adds more fuel across the board (think of enlarging the main jet on a carburetor).

    I'd try turning the first pot up to see if that helps, if it doesn't, turn the 3rd one up. That third one just needs adjusted a little to make a big difference. You only do the 2nd pot if it's stumbling on acceleration.
    Great description! I can understand that better than the instructions!

    Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    Here is a link to the install instructions ... it explains the function of each pot ... http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/in...BLV92-1845.pdf
    I did my own installation but it's good to have a copy.. mine is probably feeding a tree or something somewhere :)

    Following up the situation...


    I crank up the first pot to 3.. 2nd .5 third .5 It's running smoother but still get's a rough cough in 2000rpm to 3000rpm.. although it is slightly less than what it got. gonna keep trying to nail the perfect setup!! XD

    2.25"Bones/2"Risers/StebelHorn/TitaniumFeelers/EngineGuards/StrdCutGel eat/K&NAir&OilFilters/JoeFloridaLED/LEDVoltimeter/GIPRO/USBdoc/Debeveared/FI2000/o2Sensor'sEliminator/KuryBlkGrips/PushPinMod /MotorMounts/Duck'sCovers

    IMAGE TOO WIDE, CAN BE NO MORE THAN 800 PIXELS.

  13. #11
    Very Active Member PanamaJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Panama, Central America
    Posts
    913

    Post Resolution:

    I couldn't fix it with dialing the pots during the week, and since I was going to take apart the bike for other things I decided to check the obvious.. Spark plugs and fuel filter.

    The Spark plugs were covered with a black ash (too rich mix I assume).. I clean them with vodka (didn't have alcohol at home) and a dremel, and put them back in.

    The fuel filter looked nasty!! it only had 8k km!! the first one lasted almost 20k before the hiccups!!

    I didn't have a spare part at the moment so I clean it up with dish soap degreaser and dry it up with a blower for fastest results.

    After putting all back in, the bike is running fine now!!! I have the fi2000r pots at 0-0-0 and I am having no problem at the moment. a bit of lack of thrust power on acceleration and a bit of backfire from time to time on deceleration if on high rpm going fast and dropping to 3rd or 2nd gear..

    Thanks y'all for your inputs.

    2.25"Bones/2"Risers/StebelHorn/TitaniumFeelers/EngineGuards/StrdCutGel eat/K&NAir&OilFilters/JoeFloridaLED/LEDVoltimeter/GIPRO/USBdoc/Debeveared/FI2000/o2Sensor'sEliminator/KuryBlkGrips/PushPinMod /MotorMounts/Duck'sCovers

    IMAGE TOO WIDE, CAN BE NO MORE THAN 800 PIXELS.

  14. #12
    Very Active Member Latinrascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PanamaJack View Post
    I couldn't fix it with dialing the pots during the week, and since I was going to take apart the bike for other things I decided to check the obvious.. Spark plugs and fuel filter.

    The Spark plugs were covered with a black ash (too rich mix I assume).. I clean them with vodka (didn't have alcohol at home) and a dremel, and put them back in.

    The fuel filter looked nasty!! it only had 8k km!! the first one lasted almost 20k before the hiccups!!

    I didn't have a spare part at the moment so I clean it up with dish soap degreaser and dry it up with a blower for fastest results.

    After putting all back in, the bike is running fine now!!! I have the fi2000r pots at 0-0-0 and I am having no problem at the moment. a bit of lack of thrust power on acceleration and a bit of backfire from time to time on deceleration if on high rpm going fast and dropping to 3rd or 2nd gear..

    Thanks y'all for your inputs.
    I'm hoping I'm wrong but I don't think you truly solved the problem with your bike. I think you cleaned up enough of the symptoms to get it running pretty good for a while but I'm betting it will return!

    Your plugs show you were running rich yes? But why? Did it happen because you were playing with the fuel manager? Or was this a symptom caused by the original bad running condition you were trying to fix by playing with the fuel manager? There is a possibility that your filter was fouled and clogged But being as its not very old i doubt that it was bad. Looked dark/dirty doesn't always mean it is, it was probably ok. They look that way just as soon as they get saturated by the gas. On any account you cleaned it enough to rule that out. Also being it was running rich confirms for me it was not being starved of fuel!

    When did you last change your spark plugs? Which type /heat rating? I would pull them to check them again, say 1000 miles to be sure your ok. Do you have stock exhaust and air? If no to both you are most likely pretty lean through out the rpm/gear ranges and seeing that the cobra unit can only add fuel settings 0-0-0 changes nothing about the bike. I would recommend to follow what Zoom was instructing you to do at this point.
    Last edited by Latinrascal; 10-01-2014 at 01:44 PM.

  15. #13
    Very Active Member Latinrascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,515

    Smile

    Now I have a question. After reading the op's mod tagline I have to ask. Is it necessary to remove the o2 sensor when using the fi2000? I know this may sound like a dumb question but it has me perplexed! I thought this unit worked in conjunction with the stock o2 sensors. Which makes me wonder if the OP should replace his o2 sensor.

  16. #14
    Very Active Member PanamaJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Panama, Central America
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    I would recommend to follow what Zoom was instructing you to do at this point.
    I am running ngk #8 spark plugs. weather here is hot and humid as hell!! But yea, I should take my time playing again with the dials. Thanks for the reminder!

    Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    Now I have a question. After reading the op's mod tagline I have to ask. Is it necessary to remove the o2 sensor when using the fi2000? I know this may sound like a dumb question but it has me perplexed! I thought this unit worked in conjunction with the stock o2 sensors. Which makes me wonder if the OP should replace his o2 sensor.
    as stated before I do have ducks air cover and custom homemade 2 to 1 exhaust. I went all the way with Rainey products. I have Rainey servo eliminator, Rainey's O2 eliminators (just a plug with round loop cable) and I think those parts are working fine.

    2.25"Bones/2"Risers/StebelHorn/TitaniumFeelers/EngineGuards/StrdCutGel eat/K&NAir&OilFilters/JoeFloridaLED/LEDVoltimeter/GIPRO/USBdoc/Debeveared/FI2000/o2Sensor'sEliminator/KuryBlkGrips/PushPinMod /MotorMounts/Duck'sCovers

    IMAGE TOO WIDE, CAN BE NO MORE THAN 800 PIXELS.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->