Video switch-on fail

Thread: Video switch-on fail

Default Video switch-on fail

Hi guys! Long time without posting here. After 2 years of enjoying my beautiful bike I have encountered a little problem. Since 1 image (a video in this case) is worth 1000 words, I rather show you the weird noise my bike is doing when I switch it on. Actually, It doesn't turn on at all anymore...

Do you have any idea of what this could be? I'll have some free time this weekend to start fiddling around with it, but since I have no idea of what I'm doing, I rather ask the wise people in this big family.

Thank you so much for your help (again). Virtual beers for everybody
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window...

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Hi guys! Long time without posting here. After 2 years of enjoying my beautiful bike I have encountered a little problem. Since 1 image (a video in this case) is worth 1000 words, I rather show you the weird noise my bike is doing when I switch it on. Actually, It doesn't turn on at all anymore...

Do you have any idea of what this could be? I'll have some free time this weekend to start fiddling around with it, but since I have no idea of what I'm doing, I rather ask the wise people in this big family.

Thank you so much for your help (again). Virtual beers for everybody
    Sounds to me like the starter solenoid...
    2007 M109R LE: Kuryakyn Scythe II Mirrors, Xtreme Revolutions Stage 3 Intake Kit, Xtreme Revolutions Floorboards, Rivco Tach Relocation Kit, Rivco Brake Pedal, RIS Designs Grille, Corba Fi2000 POWRPRO, Heal Tech SpeedoHealer, Heal Tech Gi-Pro, Back Off XP Module, Highway Hawk Taillight Cover, Swint LEDs, Greggs Side Cover Accents, Hard Krome 3" Big Straights Exhaust, Raw Design Storage Box, Suzuki Crash Bars, Suzuki Gel Seats, and much more

Dude...how old is the battery?
    09 "Blackey" - Swept, Engine Case Guarded, Derby'd, Iso Gripped, Badged, Boned, De-Shuddered, Beavered, Risen, Cabled

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Never heard that sound before. It almost sounds lime something is shorting out before canking the 9.

Get the battery checked first, bad cell means not enough amps to crank it strong. If that checks out, then the starter solenoid is my bet.

I wonder if you could use one of the solenoid jumpers to start the bike. Like they do on cars and possibly rule it out?

Might be a bad connection.

Very Active Member CanadianM109R's Avatar

It sounds like your battery is going, ie, not enough juice to fully engage the starter, and its grinding. Could also be your starter solenoid, but start by checking the battery.

Grey 08 gone to heaven/ 2010 Connie- my new ride!

Man, I haven't heard that familiar squeak from the actuator in a long time. Brings back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by SiPPMSH View Post
    .... if the battery where the issue, all the lights would dim to almost being out and it wouldn't start !!
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

I think it's the battery or the ground, the speedometer resets after the bike starts. It should only do that when it is first powered up.

my money is on the battery - the gauges resetting is the deciding clue in my mind, showing there is a lack of power once the starter actually engages.

2012 M109R, Customworld Drivers Backrest, Vstream Windshield, ISO Grips, Wolo air horn, De-Beavered, LED brake and rear signals, Custom made front led signals, Jardine quick release passenger backrest, Side Mount licence, Vinyl wrapped forks, K&N's, CWI Engine Case Guards, Hard Wired Nuvi, X-TRE, Ridged Driving Lights ..more to follow!

Very Active Member DrDing.Muscle's Avatar

Also agree get the battery checked out first!
    2012 Limited Edition M109R -- Corbin Seats and backrest -- Debaffled stock exhaust -- Yana Shiki 2" Risers -- Debeavered -- A&R 6k HID -- Stebel horn -- XTRE -- ISO Grips -- Scythe Mirrors

M109R Service Manual and other M109R Documents -

Quote Originally Posted by SiPPMSH View Post
    Coming to a city near you..
    Bang for the Buck Mods link
    CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    .... if the battery where the issue, all the lights would dim to almost being out and it wouldn't start !!
    That's not exactly a true statement when dealing with the m109. If the battery is below a minimum voltage it will still light the lights nice and bright but the bike will not start. This bike is very temperamental when it comes to the battery or i should say at least in my personal experience this has been the norm!

Either way, start with the cheapest and easiest to test first. Test the battery and check connections first before replacing parts.

Thanks everybody!!
    I replaced the battery 1 month ago, so I don't think this was the problem. Anyway I checked it and it seems to be fine. I checked also the starter solenoid following the service manual and this seems to be the problem. Apparently there is no continuity. I just ordered another one online ($10) and I'll replace it next week. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks again for such a great help!!
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window...

Very Active Member

I'm experiencing the same problem but for me it is sporadic. I traced it to the ignition key switch. It acts like it makes minimal contact inside and just craps out when attempting to flow current. Still investigating....

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    2009 M109R LE
    2015 Boss tins, Custom speedo and tach faces and LEDs. ISO Grips. Brake Away Cruise control. Cobra Swepts. Debeavered, Fi200R Fuel management, polished risers and trees, SS Brake lines, ATRE, Custom forward controls. HID kit. Ultimate seat and backrest. Dunlop E3s, 250 rear, Plastidipped rims, cobra solo rack