M109 starts barely Idles but no throttle response
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: M109 starts barely Idles but no throttle response

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Twp ,MI
    Posts
    18

    Default M109 starts barely Idles but no throttle response

    Hello All,
    I have a problem with my 08 M109R. I have pcIII and custom tips loweredrelocated tach ..
    Anyway I took my 9 out last thursday from hibernation.. Battery very week so i jumped it fired right up no problem took it down the road ran great.. Put in garage to polish the wheels up and change headlight assembly.. Did all of this and didnt check battery so went to start it no juice.. So I went and bought a new batt 20 series I charged it for an hour and when I put in bike batt was hot, I also put charger back on to start bike first time.. Loaded bile up to head to Ohio bike week.. Made it 4 miles down road went to pass a semi on vandyke at 32 mile fifth gear and just rolled in the throttle after passing the bike started to backfire and I had no throttle response.. Pulled over bike would turn over and barelly start to idle but if I touched throttle at all it backfired and quit.. Also the battery was very hot as it just short of burning you Ipulled fill top off and steem came out of battery.. ended up calling tow truck and in garage Im lost I have changed plugs checked wiring at pcIII also unhooked pcIII and went back to stock no change pulled fuel filter off no change.. Also no codes or FI light at all unless I unplug somthing and cause it myself.. Any Ideas what or where I should start..
    Thanks Alot Tim

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member RicoChet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    Id say your battery is toast. When they don't keep charged like on a battery tender, they can lose their power and once that happens the battery is toast. You can jump start it but it will never hold a proper charge again. I suggest you install a brand new one and I am sure it will be good again!
    Previous Bikes: 2001 Honda Shadow VT750, 2005 Suzuki M50, 2005 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Suzuki M109R LE. 1982 Honda CB900F, 2003 Honda ST1300, 2012 Rocket III Roadster Phantom Black
    Current Bikes: 2007 Yamaha MT-01 & 2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    4 Corners-New Mexico
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tim750 View Post
    Hello All,
    I have a problem with my 08 M109R. I have pcIII and custom tips loweredrelocated tach ..
    Anyway I took my 9 out last thursday from hibernation.. Battery very week so i jumped it fired right up no problem took it down the road ran great.. Put in garage to polish the wheels up and change headlight assembly.. Did all of this and didnt check battery so went to start it no juice.. So I went and bought a new batt 20 series I charged it for an hour and when I put in bike batt was hot, I also put charger back on to start bike first time.. Loaded bile up to head to Ohio bike week.. Made it 4 miles down road went to pass a semi on vandyke at 32 mile fifth gear and just rolled in the throttle after passing the bike started to backfire and I had no throttle response.. Pulled over bike would turn over and barelly start to idle but if I touched throttle at all it backfired and quit.. Also the battery was very hot as it just short of burning you Ipulled fill top off and steem came out of battery.. ended up calling tow truck and in garage Im lost I have changed plugs checked wiring at pcIII also unhooked pcIII and went back to stock no change pulled fuel filter off no change.. Also no codes or FI light at all unless I unplug somthing and cause it myself.. Any Ideas what or where I should start..
    Thanks Alot Tim
    Gotta charge a bike battery longer than that. 2 amps for nearly a 24 hour day.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Twp ,MI
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post
    Id say your battery is toast. When they don't keep charged like on a battery tender, they can lose their power and once that happens the battery is toast. You can jump start it but it will never hold a proper charge again. I suggest you install a brand new one and I am sure it will be good again!
    I did put new battery in bike this is when problems seem to have acured .. I also put old battery back in to see if the battery was problem..
    Thanks Tim

  7. #5
    Very Active Member azcharger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    bullhead city, az
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Fully charge the battery. Also check the coil, and if all that checks out maybe bad gas.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

  8. #6
    Very Active Member Latinrascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    When you said you removed the pciii did you completely remove it? Including the tps connection? Did you inspect the tps wires carefully?
    There have been many occasions where the tps wires frayed breaking contact and leaving the rider dealing with very similar symptoms you are having. A broken stand or 2 in that circuit is usually enough to cause these problems so even if the wire isn't completely severed you may still have issues. So inspect it carefully and solder in a repair section if you find and broken strands.
    Also is the tps connection soldered in or did you use the quick clips that came with the pciii? If you used the quick clips that may very well be your problem, remove the clips and solder that connection.

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Twp ,MI
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    When you said you removed the pciii did you completely remove it? Including the tps connection? Did you inspect the tps wires carefully?
    There have been many occasions where the tps wires frayed breaking contact and leaving the rider dealing with very similar symptoms you are having. A broken stand or 2 in that circuit is usually enough to cause these problems so even if the wire isn't completely severed you may still have issues. So inspect it carefully and solder in a repair section if you find and broken strands.
    Also is the tps connection soldered in or did you use the quick clips that came with the pciii? If you used the quick clips that may very well be your problem, remove the clips and solder that connection.

    I didremove the clips and pulled on the wires pulling the insulation back and then wrapped PCIII wire around it and soldered no help still acting up.. Pulled exhaust off no restrictions.. pulled plug wires off today while rough idle all sparking and pulled coils off plug and tested for spark getting good spark there too.. almost acts like timing , I only have 12,000 miles on her.. Litterly will idle and when throttle is turned 1/16th of an inch it starts poping and backfiring threw exhaust and quits.. NO codes at all come up.. Is it possible the computer fried.. Just funny how it starts and idles (roughly)
    Thanks Tim

  10. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    4 Corners-New Mexico
    Posts
    1,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tim750 View Post
    I didremove the clips and pulled on the wires pulling the insulation back and then wrapped PCIII wire around it and soldered no help still acting up.. Pulled exhaust off no restrictions.. pulled plug wires off today while rough idle all sparking and pulled coils off plug and tested for spark getting good spark there too.. almost acts like timing , I only have 12,000 miles on her.. Litterly will idle and when throttle is turned 1/16th of an inch it starts poping and backfiring threw exhaust and quits.. NO codes at all come up.. Is it possible the computer fried.. Just funny how it starts and idles (roughly)
    Thanks Tim
    Its the battery...You bought a new battery and charged it for ONLY an hour..sorry, but your regular lead/acid motorcycle battery will not work this way...

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Twp ,MI
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burnins109 View Post
    Its the battery...You bought a new battery and charged it for ONLY an hour..sorry, but your regular lead/acid motorcycle battery will not work this way...
    I understand i did fast charge it.. But i left sit over weekend and load tested it and test good.. I also charged old battery and it held charge also and put that battery back in, no good still dont run right..


    OK thanks for the help, after hours of scratching my head and searching I found it.. When I took tire off to polish I pulled drive shaft cover off and pulled boot back well when putting boot back on I reached behind to make sure it was on and must have partially unplugged the green two wire plug and it vibrated apart.. put back together and reinstalled everything and all is good.. My 109 is happy again
    Thanks Again
    Last edited by tim750; 06-25-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->