BRAKE UPGRADE - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BRAKE UPGRADE

Dep sorry it took so long to take the pictures. Took the bike out for about 30 minutes today. The noise seems to be subsiding with every mile and I really hope this works and holds up. The bike stops so much better than it did before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0315151715b.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	245841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0315151715.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	245849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0315151715c.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	245857  
    I just plan on doing everything twice when I start it and that way when it takes 3 times to get it right I'm only half as mad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

the noise is probably your pads wearing down on 1 side so those brackets dont line up where the fork bolt holes are meaning the calipers dont sit in line where the originals sat. that would be because the sv rotors are offset that little bit you really should take a measurement where the original calipers sat and try and get the new ones in line otherwise you will be wearing 1 pad faster than the other and having to get new pads more often
    240 rim cobra swepts cobra tacho rifle windsheild & lowers led turnsignals v charger air filters chrome radiator cover 1 1/2 inch lowering bones powercommander 5 glpro

looking at your last pic it looks like the bracket sits nowhere near the inside of where the fork bracket is the original calipers fix on the inside of the forks. i dont have my gsxr anymore to measure the difference in caliper shape but personally i would not be running those calipers if they donot sit where the originals did you could run the risk of boiling the brake fluid from the brakes dragging and go to having no front brakes. as i said before you need to get the middle of the new cailpers sitting where the originals sat that may mean getting some spacers made
    240 rim cobra swepts cobra tacho rifle windsheild & lowers led turnsignals v charger air filters chrome radiator cover 1 1/2 inch lowering bones powercommander 5 glpro

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

The SV uses the same rotors and brackets at the M90 and the same calipers. People have been converting SV brake systems using the same calipers and these brackets for years so I am not too worried about that part. The actual brackets bolt pattern to an exact fit to our forks but our lower fork design is why I had to modify it. Can you tell me where you are hearing about the offset being different and that may be the reason I had to add the washers. I checked the front wheel and the amount of drag is negligent after my slight adjustment as the wheel spins freely when it is off of the ground. I also checked with my Mechanic and he said the minimal amount of noise I am hearing is fine. I can't even hear it if i am going over 5 mph without a helmet. I am in the testing phase so no long trips, speeds over 35 mph and areas where there is no little traffic.
    I just plan on doing everything twice when I start it and that way when it takes 3 times to get it right I'm only half as mad.

I'm going to venture a guess that the sound you are hearing, especially since it has almost subsided, are the brake pads bedding-in to the rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by amvince View Post

The SV uses the same rotors and brackets at the M90 and the same calipers. People have been converting SV brake systems using the same calipers and these brackets for years so I am not too worried about that part. The actual brackets bolt pattern to an exact fit to our forks but our lower fork design is why I had to modify it. Can you tell me where you are hearing about the offset being different and that may be the reason I had to add the washers. I checked the front wheel and the amount of drag is negligent after my slight adjustment as the wheel spins freely when it is off of the ground. I also checked with my Mechanic and he said the minimal amount of noise I am hearing is fine. I can't even hear it if i am going over 5 mph without a helmet. I am in the testing phase so no long trips, speeds over 35 mph and areas where there is no little traffic.
    you only have to look at the pics of the conversions and you can see that the rotors are offset

has your mechanic said that the rotors are a exact match because the sv riders site is showing that they are offset when they show the final result of the conversion they may have been doing it for years but how wide are their front hubs and the distance between the rotors is that the same as a m90 i would find a sv650 and even if you just measure the distance from rotor to rotor. but then the forks could be wider or narrower their is so many differences you could have.

are you just going by what ebay says about rotors they can say that the rotors will fit that model but when you get them they are not compatible.

going by the parts sites the sv 650 rotors are 59210-38G10 and the m90 has 59210-08F30 not even close to the the same part numbers so where are you getting the information that they use the same rotors?
    Last edited by gavs90; 03-17-2015 at 06:53 PM.

That's why he added spacers to compensate for the offset the bracket is designed for...

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy1042 View Post
    That's why he added spacers to compensate for the offset the bracket is designed for...
    the adapters are for a sv650 not a m90 even with the spacers he has in have a look at the picture they are not even level with the inside of the fork mounts still. i am trying to help him understand that you still need to line up things so you dont have problems latter on even bike builders mock up to get things right.
    a least he his really trying to customize his bike to stand out from the rest

heres another brake upgrade to try

whats the thickness of the sv bracket where it bolts the caliper the thickness of the m90 fork bracket on the instep of the bolt head mount is 16mm i am guessing that you might of put a washer in that step that bolts the bracket on which may have moved it out another couple mm so you really need the spacer to give you the same thickness as the m90 from the inside of the sv bracket
    i havent looked at the inside of the fork bracket very much but seeing you have a template of the holes and mount could you get some plate steel drill the holes and thread them so it bolts on the inside of the fork mounts and then bolt the caliper to the outside of the new bracket then the caliper will sit inline with the original mount if the gsxr calipers are the same width ect as the m90s but seeing that you seem to think that the sv650 and the m90 use the same calipers it should work unless with the sv brackets they have been made with more or less offset to suit the gsxr calipers.

how can i put this simple the sv brackets may have been made so the middle of the gsxr caliper sits where the original caliper sat but if you was to put the original caliper on the sv bracket it may not sit anywhere near where it originally sat. then you need to know if the sv fork mounts are in the same position as the m90 fork mounts the m90 mounts may be closer to the inside of the fork and the sv mount might be set in the middle of the fork tube. so you would have to compensate for that as well
    Last edited by gavs90; 03-17-2015 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gavs90 View Post
    the adapters are for a sv650 not a m90 even with the spacers he has in have a look at the picture they are not even level with the inside of the fork mounts still.
    That doesn't make any difference...the brackets on the SV650 aren't level with the inside of the fork mounts either. The positioning of the brackets are the same on the M90 as it is on the SV650 and he added spacers to compensate for the offset. The brake pads are still making contact with the rotors on the same area, the position is just slightly lower.

The entire purpose of the brackets are to replace 2-piston calipers with 4-piston calipers for better stopping power, which is what amvince did. Yes, the brackets are for an SV650, you have that correct, but he modified them for the M90.

Aside from the slightly different angle the front wheel is turned in these photos, the mounting position is the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brackets.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	246345
    Last edited by Deputy1042; 03-19-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy1042 View Post
    That doesn't make any difference...the brackets on the SV650 aren't level with the inside of the fork mounts either. The positioning of the brackets are the same on the M90 as it is on the SV650 and he added spacers to compensate for the offset. The brake pads are still making contact with the rotors on the same area, the position is just slightly lower.

The entire purpose of the brackets are to replace 2-piston calipers with 4-piston calipers for better stopping power, which is what amvince did. Yes, the brackets are for an SV650, you have that correct, but he modified them for the M90.

Aside from the slightly different angle the front wheel is turned in these photos, the mounting position is the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brackets.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	246345
    i am not going to argue with you as you are set in your mind.
    yes the forks look the same dont they
    i am happy he fitted them on and if hes happy they way they are thats good and i hope nothing goes wrong
    Last edited by gavs90; 03-20-2015 at 03:13 AM.

Gavs I agree the forks are different but I think the It is very possible the drag is being caused by the angle of the rotors and that is what I am experimenting with to see if anything can be done. I am just trying to get better stopping power and appreciate your input. I have had some success and many failures experimenting but before I do anything I am testing taking it easy. If the drag doesn't subside some or gets worse I will try a few more things and than abort the experiment, go back and put the stock calipers back on. I will let you guys know positives and negatives as I test.
    Last edited by amvince; 03-21-2015 at 06:01 PM.

no keep going with them
    do you think the rotors or the calipers are on a angle that could be because the sv forks mounts are different to the 90 i wish i still had my gsxr i could have made a bracket for this mod for you it may not have looked as good as the one you have but it would work personally i dont think the m90 needs better brakes on the front but i could do the twin calipers on the back wouldnt be that hard just need another caliper drill a hole through the swingarm and some threaded pipe like the top mount the hardest part would be making sure its lined up **** i need a decent paying job so i can get back into modding instead of this 23 hrs a week crap