Hey guys, just thought I would add my 2 cents to screw you guys up that work on your bikes. Just an FYI and to prove a point I did this install with the tool kit that came with the bike other than the side cutters. I did this in order to prove to some of you new guys that have limited experience in regarding mechanics that you need not be afraid as you are smarter and more capable than you think.
1. Remove the seat and left and right body panels.
2. remove the front ECM mount screw. It has a 10mm head and a Philips slot and is located on the left side of the bike. No brainer.
3. Remove the upper ECM mount screw to the left of the battery under the seat. It is the same style as the lower mount screw.
4. Slowly rotate the ECM and bracket down and out. Press on the tab for the grey connector and remove from ECM.
5. Press on the release tab for the black connector and firmly remove from ECM as well.
6. here is a cool thing I don't think most people notice but if you look at the back of the black ECM connector which is the one you need to use for the XTRE you will see a number 1 and 17 as well as a number 18 and 34 . Yes that's right, it references pins 1 thru 17 and pins 18 thru 34.
7. For the installation you will need pin number 6 , which is a BLK wire with a thin GRN stripe. Which is... wait for it.... the 6th pin right to left from the number 1 embossed on the black ECM connector!!
8. Not necessary but far easier is to remove the factory wrap tap on the black connector ECM harness to get slack at the BLK wire with the GRN stripe.
9. Take your wire cutters and move about 2" from the ECM connector and cut the BLK wire with the GRN stripe.
10. Use the supplied squeeze connector and attach the BLK wire with the GRN stripe from the XTRE harness marked ECM to the BLK wire with the GRN stripe you cut earlier on the connector side of the ECM harness.
11. Connect the BLK with WH striped wire from the XTRE harness to the BLK with GRN stripe wire to the harness side of the ECM connector. at this point you are all done with the ECM and can re-tape the harness and re_ install the ECM. and the left side cover.
12. Moving to the right side of the bike look behind the rear cylinder and exhaust header and you will see the triangle connector for the gear indicator. The connector has a BLU, BLK and RED not PINK wire.
13. I is very tight and difficult but disconnect the Gear indicator connector and install the XTRE between the connectors.
14. Last thing is to power it up. The kit says to install the power wire (RED) to a switched power source. I believe it was better to go straight to the battery which I did. You decide which is best for you.
15. Now its time to see if we did it all correctly. Turn on your key, hold the bike and put up the kick stand. Make sure your kill switch is in run and check to see if the gear you are in matches the indicator. It is a little difficult and they may glitch out but try and be forceful when you shift and they should work fine and sync up.
16. Grab a beer and take her for a test drive or vise versa. You will love the new feel of your bike and congrats!!