M109 Rider Forums banner

XTRE INSTALL 2011 and UP

53K views 129 replies 57 participants last post by  "Hunter" 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just thought I would add my 2 cents to screw you guys up that work on your bikes. Just an FYI and to prove a point I did this install with the tool kit that came with the bike other than the side cutters. I did this in order to prove to some of you new guys that have limited experience in regarding mechanics that you need not be afraid as you are smarter and more capable than you think.

1. Remove the seat and left and right body panels.

2. remove the front ECM mount screw. It has a 10mm head and a Philips slot and is located on the left side of the bike. No brainer.

3. Remove the upper ECM mount screw to the left of the battery under the seat. It is the same style as the lower mount screw.

4. Slowly rotate the ECM and bracket down and out. Press on the tab for the grey connector and remove from ECM.

5. Press on the release tab for the black connector and firmly remove from ECM as well.

6. here is a cool thing I don't think most people notice but if you look at the back of the black ECM connector which is the one you need to use for the XTRE you will see a number 1 and 17 as well as a number 18 and 34 . Yes that's right, it references pins 1 thru 17 and pins 18 thru 34.

7. For the installation you will need pin number 6 , which is a BLK wire with a thin GRN stripe. Which is... wait for it.... the 6th pin right to left from the number 1 embossed on the black ECM connector!!

8. Not necessary but far easier is to remove the factory wrap tap on the black connector ECM harness to get slack at the BLK wire with the GRN stripe.

9. Take your wire cutters and move about 2" from the ECM connector and cut the BLK wire with the GRN stripe.

10. Use the supplied squeeze connector and attach the BLK wire with the GRN stripe from the XTRE harness marked ECM to the BLK wire with the GRN stripe you cut earlier on the connector side of the ECM harness.

11. Connect the BLK with WH striped wire from the XTRE harness to the BLK with GRN stripe wire to the harness side of the ECM connector. at this point you are all done with the ECM and can re-tape the harness and re_ install the ECM. and the left side cover.

12. Moving to the right side of the bike look behind the rear cylinder and exhaust header and you will see the triangle connector for the gear indicator. The connector has a BLU, BLK and RED not PINK wire.

13. I is very tight and difficult but disconnect the Gear indicator connector and install the XTRE between the connectors.

14. Last thing is to power it up. The kit says to install the power wire (RED) to a switched power source. I believe it was better to go straight to the battery which I did. You decide which is best for you.

15. Now its time to see if we did it all correctly. Turn on your key, hold the bike and put up the kick stand. Make sure your kill switch is in run and check to see if the gear you are in matches the indicator. It is a little difficult and they may glitch out but try and be forceful when you shift and they should work fine and sync up.

16. Grab a beer and take her for a test drive or vise versa. You will love the new feel of your bike and congrats!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice write up.

#6 ·
Great write up! I wired mine to the terminal post that has the clear plastic cover.

#7 ·
Hey guys, just thought I would add my 2 cents to screw you guys up that work on your bikes. ...

12. Moving to the right side of the bike look behind the rear cylinder and exhaust header and you will see the triangle connector for the gear indicator. The connector has a BLU, BLK and RED not PINK wire.

Both the x-tre instructions and the Suzuki wiring diagram indicate that the gp switch is the block WITH the pink wire.......is this wrong?

#12 · (Edited)
So I got the X-TRE installed and it was definitely a simple job. The write up above by wiskeythrottle505 is spot on :bigthumbsup: I am an amateur wrencher at best, but this is a task anybody can do as long as they take there time while dealing with the ECM you can't really screw it up.

I took the bike out for a few hours and it was a very noticeable yet subtle change, and I like it. It absolutely shifts smoother 1-3, though not a huge difference... and there is definitely smoother power in 1-3 overall. Recommended! :D

As far as the wire being pink / red it really doesn't matter how it looks to your eyes since there is only one possible plug you can use and to my naked eye it looks "light red" but it's obvious once you see the connector. As long as you pull the right side cover off and look directly behind the rear header and you can't miss it... perfect little spot to velcro/strap the X-TRE

The included documentation says for cruisers you want the X-TRE mapped as 4th gear, which you can test by putting your bike in 1st before you start it up... the indicator show's 4 for a few seconds and then goes to 1. If you start the bike in N it will just do the usually thing, it only shows what map is being used if you start the bike in 1st gear.

#14 ·
gel connector issue....

I'm installing mine as I type this and ran into an issue, 1of the yellow gel connectors is bad and they only sent 2. I have some telephone push connectors (non-gel), can these be used? Also, is there a minimum resistance/voltage rating that the connectors need? These are listed as 26-22 gauge (awg), seems to be in the range of the bikes wires.

#15 ·
I'm installing mine as I type this and ran into an issue, 1of the yellow gel connectors is bad and they only sent 2. I have some telephone push connectors (non-gel), can these be used? Also, is there a minimum resistance/voltage rating that the connectors need? These are listed as 26-22 gauge (awg), seems to be in the range of the bikes wires.
That sucks, how is it bad? You can always just solder the connections, which is the best way to do it technically anyway

If not that, I'm not sure where you can buy a new gel tab, maybe two shack? I would bet heal tech would seen you another set but that means waiting of course

#16 ·
I have an '06, is it a difft install than the later bikes?

#18 ·
I've had my XTRE for a couple weeks now. I was holding off on the install because I thought I had to pull the tank to access the GP plug. I was thinking I would just wait until I had the tank off for my FI2000 powerpro, and pair valve covers and do it all at the same time. I'm still trying to decide which pipes I'm going to run.

After reading this thread, I will probably knock this out next weekend. It would be nice to have the XTRE installed before MAM.

Great write up Wiskeythrottle. Thanks!

#26 ·
Nice post and thanks for doing this. It helped me install the XTRE that I was fussing at earlier in the weekend. XTRE makes the bike much more smooth and I do notice that I can handle it better because it is more predictable in the turns. May have lost a little power, but I'll take the smooth ride.

#30 ·
Just picked up my XTRE and I plan on doing this today. Plan to follow these instructions.

#31 ·
Just finished the install. Haven't ridden the bike yet but did fire it up and it does indeed say 4 on the gear indicator for a few seconds when you turn the key on then it switches to 1 so I guess it is working. Here are a couple pics I took during the install.

Attachments

#32 ·
Got the time and cooperating weather to install the XTRE today. The write-up was much better than the included instructions. Did the checks as per the instructions and it's set for the 4th gear setting. Started it on the lift and verified operation, buttoned it back up and took a spin around the pond. Throttle response is spot on now. Now will have a real problem not running over the Harleys on group rides!

#35 ·
Yeah wiskey did it right, for sure

#36 ·
Just did this install, and this write-up was spot on! Many thanks for the detailed run down and pics; this was light years beyond the "instructions" that came along with it. Now as soon as the snow is off the roads I can take my girl for a spin. But for now, on to the next mod!

#37 ·
Just did this install, and this write-up was spot on! Many thanks for the detailed run down and pics; this was light years beyond the "instructions" that came along with it.
Ditto to this 'How-To', Just did my X-TRE this evening as well and took it out for a snort around the block! Huge difference over stock timing. No snow on our roads, just a lot of loose grit.....

#38 ·
ok everyone so i just installed my xtre and if i put the bike in first gear, with the kickstand up, and the switch on run; the bike does say 4th for a few seconds and then back to 1st but my question is do i have to put it in 4th gear to set the map for it or does it already come installed that way and that's why when you test it in 1st it shows 4th? And if thats the case then from now on do I have to start the bike in 1st or since its installed is it automatically stored and set? Also is the light on the xtre suppose to blink for a second and then remain off or is it suppose to remain on the whole time?
If the bike is in neutral with the kickstand down then the light remains on and if the ignition is on and the kickstand up, but the switch in the off position the light remains on so is that right?
sorry for all the questions just wondering if mine is correct or not?
Thanks to all those who help and offer feedback in advance lol!!:super:

#39 ·
ok everyone so i just installed my xtre and if i put the bike in first gear, with the kickstand up, and the switch on run; the bike does say 4th for a few seconds and then back to 1st but my question is do i have to put it in 4th gear to set the map for it or does it already come installed that way and that's why when you test it in 1st it shows 4th? And if thats the case then from now on do I have to start the bike in 1st or since its installed is it automatically stored and set? Also is the light on the xtre suppose to blink for a second and then remain off or is it suppose to remain on the whole time?
If the bike is in neutral with the kickstand down then the light remains on and if the ignition is on and the kickstand up, but the switch in the off position the light remains on so is that right?
sorry for all the questions just wondering if mine is correct or not?
Thanks to all those who help and offer feedback in advance lol!!:super:
It's good. They show 4th when you first start it to show that's the gear it's set to emulate. You can set them to emulate other gears, but ours needs 4th. You can start it in any gear you want, it doesn't matter.

All this is doing is telling the ECU that you're in 4th all the time, so it uses the timing profile for 4th gear. Other than that the bike doesn't know it's on there.

#40 ·
Thanks...

Perfect write-up. I started on the right side, mounting the XTRE box itself, then ran the wires to the left side, and cut them to length before splicing. Other than that, followed your instructions perfectly. I've only had the 9 for two-weeks now, but I immediately noticed the lack of 'jerkiness' in 1st gear.

By the way, yesterday I also installed a Speedo Healer, a BackOff brake modulator, a Stebel horn, a gorilla alarm, and did the debeaver mod. Whew!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.