XTRE INSTALL 2011 and UP - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XTRE INSTALL 2011 and UP

Very Active Member DrDing.Muscle's Avatar

Just finished the install. Haven't ridden the bike yet but did fire it up and it does indeed say 4 on the gear indicator for a few seconds when you turn the key on then it switches to 1 so I guess it is working. Here are a couple pics I took during the install.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2777.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	228241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2776.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	228249  
    2012 Limited Edition M109R -- Corbin Seats and backrest -- Debaffled stock exhaust -- Yana Shiki 2" Risers -- Debeavered -- A&R 6k HID -- Stebel horn -- XTRE -- ISO Grips -- Scythe Mirrors

M109R Service Manual and other M109R Documents -

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Got the time and cooperating weather to install the XTRE today. The write-up was much better than the included instructions. Did the checks as per the instructions and it's set for the 4th gear setting. Started it on the lift and verified operation, buttoned it back up and took a spin around the pond. Throttle response is spot on now. Now will have a real problem not running over the Harleys on group rides!
    2012 M109R LE Power Commander V, XTRE, K&N intakes and filters, Sideburner, VStream Windscreen, lowering links, Cobra passenger pad

Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Thank you, install was a walk in the park with this write up.

Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot383 View Post
    Now will have a real problem not running over the Harleys on group rides!
    Do what we do...pass them and make them ride in the back.

Harley view of my Nine:

Besides, when the cops start pulling people over, they'll grab the Harley's first.
    ----------------------------------
    Taz
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M109R

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS109R View Post
    Thank you, install was a walk in the park with this write up.

Thanks.
    Yeah wiskey did it right, for sure
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

Just did this install, and this write-up was spot on! Many thanks for the detailed run down and pics; this was light years beyond the "instructions" that came along with it. Now as soon as the snow is off the roads I can take my girl for a spin. But for now, on to the next mod!

Quote Originally Posted by CtrlFrk76 View Post
    Just did this install, and this write-up was spot on! Many thanks for the detailed run down and pics; this was light years beyond the "instructions" that came along with it.
    Ditto to this 'How-To', Just did my X-TRE this evening as well and took it out for a snort around the block! Huge difference over stock timing. No snow on our roads, just a lot of loose grit.....

ok everyone so i just installed my xtre and if i put the bike in first gear, with the kickstand up, and the switch on run; the bike does say 4th for a few seconds and then back to 1st but my question is do i have to put it in 4th gear to set the map for it or does it already come installed that way and that's why when you test it in 1st it shows 4th? And if thats the case then from now on do I have to start the bike in 1st or since its installed is it automatically stored and set? Also is the light on the xtre suppose to blink for a second and then remain off or is it suppose to remain on the whole time?
    If the bike is in neutral with the kickstand down then the light remains on and if the ignition is on and the kickstand up, but the switch in the off position the light remains on so is that right?
    sorry for all the questions just wondering if mine is correct or not?
    Thanks to all those who help and offer feedback in advance lol!!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHunden View Post
    ok everyone so i just installed my xtre and if i put the bike in first gear, with the kickstand up, and the switch on run; the bike does say 4th for a few seconds and then back to 1st but my question is do i have to put it in 4th gear to set the map for it or does it already come installed that way and that's why when you test it in 1st it shows 4th? And if thats the case then from now on do I have to start the bike in 1st or since its installed is it automatically stored and set? Also is the light on the xtre suppose to blink for a second and then remain off or is it suppose to remain on the whole time?
    If the bike is in neutral with the kickstand down then the light remains on and if the ignition is on and the kickstand up, but the switch in the off position the light remains on so is that right?
    sorry for all the questions just wondering if mine is correct or not?
    Thanks to all those who help and offer feedback in advance lol!!
    It's good. They show 4th when you first start it to show that's the gear it's set to emulate. You can set them to emulate other gears, but ours needs 4th. You can start it in any gear you want, it doesn't matter.

All this is doing is telling the ECU that you're in 4th all the time, so it uses the timing profile for 4th gear. Other than that the bike doesn't know it's on there.

Default Thanks...

Perfect write-up. I started on the right side, mounting the XTRE box itself, then ran the wires to the left side, and cut them to length before splicing. Other than that, followed your instructions perfectly. I've only had the 9 for two-weeks now, but I immediately noticed the lack of 'jerkiness' in 1st gear.

By the way, yesterday I also installed a Speedo Healer, a BackOff brake modulator, a Stebel horn, a gorilla alarm, and did the debeaver mod. Whew!
    - Done: Debadged, Debeavered, X-TRE, SpeedoHealer, Gorilla 9100 alarm, Stebel horn, Backoff brake hold modulator, Dynabeads, Knight Rider LED, 2" lowering bones. To-do: Raw Design LED Rear Signals, 2" Handlebar Risers, V-stream windshield, K&N Air filter, Cobra PowerPro, Suzuki Engine Guards, Scythe Mirrors, Brakeaway Cruise Control, Kuryakyn Black Iso Grips/Iso Boss, Cycle House Down Under Kit. Wishlist: Revo 6" Cannon.

Very Active Member wiskeythrottle505's Avatar

Sweet glad it helped!!!!

Very Active Member T-peezie 109's Avatar

Is this the right wire to cut for the xtre installation on a 2011.

Curious and scared too shyyyttt. Need the professionals opinions (you guys)

Trying to upload a pic yall

Ok is this the right wire to cut for the xtre installation on a 2011

It looks like it is the correct one. Look on the ECM plug right where your little finger is in the pic you posted. There should be a "1" stamped into the plug. The wire you cut is the 6th one over starting on the right counting to the left.

Thank poseidon i found those number and it was the correct one. Now to the other side. And figure that out

Got it done. These direction were right on point. Thanks. One more mod done.

If i can any body can do.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by T-peezie 109 View Post
    Got it done. These direction were right on point. Thanks. One more mod done.

If i can any body can do.!!!
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ 300 Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/S9 Led Kit/Raw Design Led Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

Is it worth getting one of these if you already have a pc5 or cobra tune, or will it mess with the tune?

Definitely worth it. Tuners are for fuel air mix. XTRE is timing. They do two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Persian_109 View Post
    Is it worth getting one of these if you already have a pc5 or cobra tune, or will it mess with the tune?
    Definitely do both. I have a Cobra FI2000 Autotune and the X-tre installed. I did the Cobra first, and it improved the drivability of the bike, and made the 3000rpm surge less noticeable. After adding the X-tre, the surge is non-existent, and the acceleration "feels" better. Reminds me of when I changed the timing on my old Mustang from the stock 10 degrees of advance to 14 degrees of advance. It really improves the throttle response at the lower end.

Taz
    Taz
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M109R

Thanks guys! I installed the x-tre on my 2014 this evening. This guide helped immensely. The original instructions were followable but just not as clean and clear as these. Much appreciated!

Very Active Member Switchmonkey's Avatar

Great Write-up. Just installed today. That gear indicator plug was a bitch to get unplugged, but finally got 'er. Routed the power to my fuzeblock switched side. Took the bike out for a spin, feels good around town. 430 days too late installing this thing on my 2014. Should have done before the tank stickers and reflectors. Next up... USB plug in nacelle.

2014 FHD Classic (Gone... F6B in the barn now!)
    2015 VRSCF (Gone... XDiavel in the barn now!)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”

If I didn't live in New Zealand, I'd be buying Wiskeythrottle a few beers !!! (and probably all the others who helped on this thread !! ) Because of this thread, I did the x-tre install today and it was a breeze - simple, clear instructions (and great pics) made the job a pleasure to do. Only one 'hiccup' - one of the gel connectors didn't hold the wires - must have been a dud. Used advice from the thread and soldered the join instead then heat shrink wrapped it - perfect. Ran the test at the end and the Gear Indicator did what it should - showed 4 then 1 - Brilliant !!!! Unfortunately I haven't been able to road test it yet - pouring with rain, 11 degrees centigrade and 130 kmh wind (good old Wellington) - Thanks again to everyone who made this so easy (and successful).

Very Active Member wiskeythrottle505's Avatar

I just think it is cool that 1. I helped and 2. It was someone across the world from me!!!

There are allot of guys on here that know much more about the 9 than I and they are also great people.

If I am ever make it down your way we can have a beer, we will also invite SKID and he can buy!!

Safe riding, Mark

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wiskeythrottle505 View Post
    I just think it is cool that 1. I helped and 2. It was someone across the world from me!!!

There are allot of guys on here that know much more about the 9 than I and they are also great people.

If I am ever make it down your way we can have a beer, we will also invite SKID and he can buy!!

Safe riding, Mark

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Its a deal brother ! and Skid lives not too far away from Wellington - he's in Nelson - I can smell the burning rubber from here when theres a southerly wind haha Thanks again mate

Last edited by "Hunter"; 07-04-2015 at 05:06 AM.
    "Hunter"
    Suzuki M1800R - no rules great fun

Thanks for the great instructions - just finished installing mine, and this thread was a real lifesaver. I ended up soldering all connections and taking power from the license plate light wire, since I didn't want to mess with the ECM wiring any more than I had to and mine conveniently passes through the same area. Strangely, I got the FI light on first startup but when I started troubleshooting the problem it just... disappeared. I'm pretty sure all connections are as good as they get and the X-TRE seemed to be working perfectly all the time. As I could no longer reproduce the problem to get an error code, I went for a short test run around town. The difference is unmistakable, so it's definitely working. For all intents and purposes, the bike is still pretending it never happened.

Did anyone else get similar glitching at first? Am I just being too paranoid?

Yeah Wiskey did a good write up, even used it myself as it been a while since I installed mine.

Very Active Member Nitro3custom's Avatar

Default Installed mine today

Great how to instructions. I did find that if you use channel locks and find the locking tab on the triangle connector. Squeeze it and slowly pry the plug apart with a small screw driver. It comes right off. No busted scraped knuckle and only about 30 sec. The hardest part was figuring out how to get the plastics off without them breaking.

Thanks for a great how to.
    P.S. I did get that FI light too.

Just added 2 pictures to show how I di it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No busted knuckles1.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	298689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no busted knuckles2.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	298697  
    Last edited by Nitro3custom; 12-20-2015 at 12:03 PM.