M109 Rider Forums banner

Thinking of Buying M109R BOSS

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Big B.O.S.S. 
#1 ·
Howdy... new to forum....

Some background... I have mostly ridden upright sport bikes (like the Ninja 1000) for the last 10 years.

Last season, I decided I might want to start transitioning to a more upright riding, a cruiser of some type, but not a Harley type sofa on wheels.

So I got a great deal on a new 2010 Honda Stateline V-Twin 1300CC cruiser.

Well, long story short, the 1300, which redlines like at 5500 RPM, just doesn't cut it for me. I know it is no sport bike, but damn, I can only get the Stateline to like 35 MPH in first gear before the limiter kicks in. That really just does not give me any sort of thrill. It feels WAY too far away from my Ninja 1000 in terms of acceleration.

So, I have been studying a litle more over the winter... I bought without doing a lot of reading last year, I figured a cruiser is a cruiser.

Well, I have since found out that there is a small class of bikes that some call "Power Cruisers". They are typified by larger displacement (usually more than 1800cc), and maybe more importantly, redlines that are more like 7000 RPM or 7500 RPM.

It seems the M109R is one such bike.... It might allow me to get more of that hair on fire acceleration....

So some questions

1. When you pull out in first gear, and goose it hard, how fast can you get going before you hit the redline?
2. What exactly is the redline? 7500? 8000? Is there a limiter?
3. How fast by redline in 2nd gear?
4. I know it won't turn like a sport bike... but the 240mm rear is worrisome. How well does this handle? How hard to initiate turn-in?
5. Does this bike turn as well as most cruisers? It does not appear to have too bad a rake, so I figure it might be average for a cruiser...
6. Bike looks like it has instant torque, and it is a real torque shelf.... instant on, and pretty constant across rev range... am I right?

Man, I really like the new black and yellow BOSS. What a great looking bike.

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome to the madness.

by looking at your questions, i wondering what are you planning to use the bike for ?

daily driver?
race bike?
full money pit custom?

#3 ·
Just pleasure rides and short day trips. Don't intend to do much customizing. Might ride to work now and then. 3,000 mile a year type use. I am keeping the Ninja, I will use that probably 3,000 miles as well.... unless the M109R is just too much fun.

#4 ·
Howdy... new to forum....

Some background... I have mostly ridden upright sport bikes (like the Ninja 1000) for the last 10 years.

Last season, I decided I might want to start transitioning to a more upright riding, a cruiser of some type, but not a Harley type sofa on wheels.

So I got a great deal on a new 2010 Honda Stateline V-Twin 1300CC cruiser.

Well, long story short, the 1300, which redlines like at 5500 RPM, just doesn't cut it for me. I know it is no sport bike, but damn, I can only get the Stateline to like 35 MPH in first gear before the limiter kicks in. That really just does not give me any sort of thrill. It feels WAY too far away from my Ninja 1000 in terms of acceleration.

So, I have been studying a litle more over the winter... I bought without doing a lot of reading last year, I figured a cruiser is a cruiser.

Well, I have since found out that there is a small class of bikes that some call "Power Cruisers". They are typified by larger displacement (usually more than 1800cc), and maybe more importantly, redlines that are more like 7000 RPM or 7500 RPM.

It seems the M109R is one such bike.... It might allow me to get more of that hair on fire acceleration....

So some questions

1. When you pull out in first gear, and goose it hard, how fast can you get going before you hit the redline? Depends if you spin the tire. Never paid attention because you will go through gears fast. However, top speed is 152 and it pulls good all the way up.
2. What exactly is the redline? 7500? 8000? Is there a limiter? 7500 but the power really flattens so usually optimum to shift around 7-7200.
3. How fast by redline in 2nd gear?
4. I know it won't turn like a sport bike... but the 240mm rear is worrisome. How well does this handle? How hard to initiate turn-in? Handles great unless you lower it. Still not a sportbike. Stock tires suck. Put a set of metz on there and a 260 rear and it will run the turns.
5. Does this bike turn as well as most cruisers? It does not appear to have too bad a rake, so I figure it might be average for a cruiser...
6. Bike looks like it has instant torque, and it is a real torque shelf.... instant on, and pretty constant across rev range... am I right? right out of the box it is a 12 flat 1/4 second bike if you can ride it. I have surprised many sport bikes off the line because they wheelie to keep up and I am gone. they do run us down but they all say they had to work for it and are very impressed.

Man, I really like the new black and yellow BOSS. What a great looking bike.
Not necessarily answering your questions but trying to give you an idea. Great bike, great cruiser with great power that will absolutely turn heads. Not the most powerful, but close. Not the best handling, but damn good.

#9 ·
if you want all out performance with more comfortable ride, try a vmax or truimph rocket III. If you have the wallet,
the ducati biavel. With the typical mods and a good rider, you should be able to whoop on a lot of bikes. Most
liter sport bike riders are not very experienced riders. They buy a bike to go fast in a straight line and cannot take
off fast to save their life.

#10 ·
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/10321/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Performance-Cruiser-Smackdown.aspx

Here's a comparison of power cruiser for ya. Should give you plenty of info and answer most of your questions. Also watch the videos for each bike.

One thing to remember about sport bikes and cruisers. A sport bikes 1st gear is tall, usually tops out at 60mph and the rest of the gears are closely spaced. A cruisers is a bit more relaxed. 1st gear on the 9 tops out at 40-45mph if my memory is correct. 2nd topped out and you are breaking most speed limits in cities. The 9 is fast for a big heavy bike but not 1000cc+ sport bike fast. It puts most other cruisers to shame though.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.