M109 Rider Forums banner

chrome wheel problem

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  tagenz 
#1 ·
Hey guys let me run this by you. I bought some chromed factory wheels from a member here , they were 5-6 years old maybe? They were next to perfect when I put them on 1500-2000 Miles later the rear started pitting. (I keep my bike and wheels clean). Now I need a rear tire I have the rim off. It looks bad. Would I be better off getting another factory aluminum and get it chromed or should I see about getting this one redone? I called 5 semi local places no returned calls yet. I know the usual 2 that are suggested for chrome in here.

#2 ·
For one thing you can't blame you seller.
Next. Try and see if liquidpain could help you.
If not. Then look for a shop that has done wheels before.

#5 ·
Not blaming seller at all. Just wanted to see what the general say was on should I try to get it fixxed or just find another to be chromed. Looking local to be repaired.... but I guess I'm not good enough fir 5 places to call back.

#6 ·
Keep in mind that Spring is just around the corner and everyone and there mother is now wanted to get things done for there bike and want it now. Not making any excuses for any of them, as there is not one. And good chromer are hard to come by.

#7 ·
This is what I was told when I complained about my factory rims pitting alittle

"REAR WHEEL HAS BRAND NEW CHROME, HOWEVER BECAUSE OF THE SAND CASTING OF THE WHEEL THERE ARE PITS IN THE REAR WHEEL CAUSED BY VOIDS IN THE SURFACE FINISH.. "

I had mine done at a place in peabody,mass they do an exchange they might be able to help you out if so pm me I will find their info for u

#10 ·
yes, they can be redone. Bikergranny's were originally done by Chip and last winter, he honored a "redo" under warranty even though they were not in warranty. Stand up guy!!!! They can strip the chrome off, sand and prep and then redo them. Chip has about a 6 week turn around.

#13 ·
Thanks guys I will call Simmons. Was trying to do something local and save on shipping.

#20 ·
that sucks wish I could help you out I do know a guy who is just starting out power coating would probably give you a great deal if you want to go that route let me know.

#21 ·
I had the same problem. Chrome on rear wheel was pitted and flaking off after 2 years. I just got it back from the powder coater and it looks fantastic.I had it done Black and added an orange reflective strip to match the bike. Dropping off the front tomorrow.

#24 ·
Sounds cool Dave...looking forward to seeing the new look. I'm toying with a reflective stripe on mine too...have them, need to try the look. Has to warm up though! I'm gonna do a little riding Saturday after I get the oil changed.

Sorry for the thread jack Todd...hope things turn around for you.

#22 · (Edited)
Todd on Simmons site he talks about the pitting, and doing extra coats if you will to take care of Suzuki's work. Mike yesterday just sent my HUB and my rear black brake switch holding unit, off to Simmons for Chroming. Along with some of his new pieces to be chromed.

#23 ·
Thanks everyone. Not looking for a pitty party but man I have bad luck. Nothing been going right last couple months I was hoping to get outta this alil cheaper but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

#26 ·
im in the same boat man. rear wheel was flawless 2 years ago... looks like sheit now... I cant afford to rechrome either... toying with plasti-dip to cover the bad spots for now. its a cheap temporary fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.