M109 Rider Forums banner

Why are short kickstands more expensive than the long ones?

2K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  MADDMOE 
#1 ·
Okay, so I have my air ride coming and know that I will need to get a short kickstand when I drop the beast down.
How come the short ones are 2x the price as the long ones??? Shouldn't they be 1/2 the price since there is 1/2 the length??
Is this confusing me only or is anyone else perplexed by this??

#4 ·
Short ones are manufactured in smaller quantities then long ones...
By the way, I have an air ride and did not find the need for the short kickstand yet...
Hmmm that is interesting and good to know.
The only reason I could afford the air ride is because of the group buy and I had it perfectly planned out to hide it from my wife until Andy screwed that up!! :D
According to her we couldn't afford it. Good thing it was already ordered when she found out. ha ha
Still sucks that they are so much though.

#6 ·
Standard here also...when the bike is up there's to much lean for my liking with the shorty...now at the same time when it's lowered you do need to be aware of your location,and turn the wheel fully left with the standard...but I find it more flexible for different hieghts...JMO

#7 ·
Okay, so I have my air ride coming and know that I will need to get a short kickstand when I drop the beast down.
How come the short ones are 2x the price as the long ones??? Shouldn't they be 1/2 the price since there is 1/2 the length??
Is this confusing me only or is anyone else perplexed by this??
No Kidding!! I had no idea you were in for the Air Ride. I'm wicked jealous!! (next year for me)
Let me know when it gets here. I want in on the instal.

#8 ·
I'm not sure if I will be inviting you. Last time I bribed you with beer to come over and help and you showed up with the beer!! :verymad:
Tell you what. I'll invite you only if you let me supply the beverages. You bring the extra set of hands and that tool you have to take off the tires. Figure if I'm going to be doing this I better polish some rims while I'm at it. 8)
I'm so stoked about this!! :hot: Did you get those caps in for the key mod??

Thanks to everyone else for letting me know that I don't have to explain a $200 kickstand to my wife. I figure I better let the cost of the air ride sink in before I spend any more. :D I'm always careful where I park and 95% of the time it's in my garage on it's own side so I can admire it constantly so the longer stand should work just fine.

#9 ·
They are not Short... they are "Custom".... LOL

#11 ·
the same way larger sized rubber is more expensive, even when the overall width of the tire is the same. :) seems most here don't mind the standard length, personally, i felt it mandatory to go to a short stand, and i'm only lowered 2". with the stock length the lean was comfortable on a flat surface with the bars turned left, however with them turned right, even on a flat surface a stiff breeze could knock mine over. so everytime i went to fuel it up there was this fear of it going over the right side, and when another member posted that exact experience my long stand went up for sale.

just my two cents...

E.

#14 ·
Custom??

We have many members that have "custom" parts on their bikes. Our BC brother has "custom" risers as an example. Things that every single one of us could put on bikes no matter what the make doesn't say "custom" to me.
That being said I'm just being bitchy. Snow is on the ground and not going anywhere any time soon which makes me a grumpy boy. Parts can't get here fast enough for my liking. At least I have Andy making it happen.
Come on summer!!!

#21 ·
I'd like to jump in here with a couple of questions...
- Is there a particular short stand that others are buying that is preferred?
- My bike is currently lowered 3" with a stock stand and I have had to be careful where I park it (understatement). This may sound stupid, but has anyone ever put a left and right stand on a bike, kinda like the old center stand concept? My air ride is here and I'm thinking with it slammed a dual stand would work well.
- I'm in the Hat, has the Calgary party started yet? I might consider driving up for the day to check out the install.

Steve

#23 ·
I understand that, but....

I get that, but I was talking to a guy with a Harley last weekend I saw at a restaurant. He rode up as we were going in, and had some great looking chrome rims on his bike. We talked and I told him I wanted some for my 9, but $3K was too much to bite off on and he nearly choked! He said he got his for $350 each from Harley. I can't for the life of me, understand $1,300 for one rim....

#26 ·
Because they can. And there dumb azz's:p like us, That will pay it! And thats all I got to say about that.

#27 ·
Specialty items that are not a continuous production cost more because they don't sell them to everyone.

Take condoms for example, some people use extra small, and they don't make them for just everyone. They cost more even though they take less rubber to make. It's just that the proper fit makes things a lot safer.

I of course, never needed condoms, I have a 9 and carry a 45 to compensate.:bigthumbsup:

#28 ·
Air ride party in Calgary is coming soon! I get home on Friday and I'm hoping the next weekend (March 15th) I can get this party started. I may have to break down and pay for a shorty when I can find the cash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.