Anyone done porting and polishing...

Thread: Anyone done porting and polishing...

Default Anyone done porting and polishing...

So in my constant search for more power I figured why not treat the bike just like everything else that I own(including the lawn mower) and do or get some head work on it. I have spent many of hours on small block chevy heads and about half that on small engines. But I have yet to port and polish a bike and I was wondering if anyone out there has seen how bad the the castings are from the factory and I there may be some room for improvement like erasing casting flash, blending and a little polishing on exhaust ports.
    "Beat it like a red-headed Ford":
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Can't speak for this bike. But I know the old Kaws really liked the heads opened up. I hope someone replys with some good info.

I posted this awhile back some good response not many.

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho....php?p=1949449

There isn't a whole lot of information about it on here.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Call me sometime when you have the time. Number is in the signature. I can let you know what you are getting into.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Will do so be expecting a 901 area code in the near future. You make it sound like it's more trouble than it's worth or just easily ruined. I am extremely curious as to how rough the castings are or shrouded the valves are. Also..., cams..are there any options out there. I will definitely be asking you some questions.
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander
    '87 silverado on35's'87 c10 lwb(LS twin turbo sleeper project)'83 k20'83 k5 cucv 6.2 Detroit

I'd like to know these answers also.

Been a long time since I asked this question. Well with time comes progress. So I did it. Nothing to crazy since I do not have a flow bench. I just used my pas experience from bow tie performance mods and a few fords tossed in the mix.

I can post more when I'm done cleaning them up if anyone is interested. I also just reassembled my case..got some friendly reminders for that one! Though about starting a thread just to show progress and pics of anything anyone is curious about while I have the bike torn down this far but I don't see a need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	386576   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	62 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	386578   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	54 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	386580  
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Very Active Member

Yep. I was going to make an Arduino flow bench but never got around to it. So I just smoothed it out. Amazing how rough it was inside. Gotta be an improvement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190824_162357_1580606800704.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	386604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190823_164529_1580606833984.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	386606  

Rough is the truth. But honestly for a casting I've seen much worse. I thought about making a simple flow bench to sit right beside my injector test stand that doesn't exist yet but time and everything else under the son has stopped that.

It's hard to resist polishing the intake ports even though I definitely know better! SURGE anyone🙊
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frotosride View Post
    Rough is the truth. But honestly for a casting I've seen much worse. I thought about making a simple flow bench to sit right beside my injector test stand that doesn't exist yet but time and everything else under the son has stopped that.

It's hard to resist polishing the intake ports even though I definitely know better! SURGE anyone🙊
    I'm not sold on leaving the intakes rough. I think maybe in the old days before fuel injection a rougher finish held some fuel and helped create a better mixture. The boundary layer theory definitely sounds suspect to me. But just in case, mine are smooth, but not mirror finish. I understand an actual mirror finish doesn't offer much benefit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Syler View Post
    I'm not sold on leaving the intakes rough. I think maybe in the old days before fuel injection a rougher finish held some fuel and helped create a better mixture. The boundary layer theory definitely sounds suspect to me. But just in case, mine are smooth, but not mirror finish. I understand an actual mirror finish doesn't offer much benefit anyway.
    I have never attempted this on a FI engine. I know for a fact that a crab'ed engines will surge due to the fuel pooling but the atomization is way different for FI. Honestly those pics are way before I finished and I smoothed my intake bowels and runners more than I ever have. Guess I will find out and so will you.
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Very Active Member

Yep, I was a tad concerned about the different opinions on the subject. I don't buy the boundary layer argument. Some guys are even dimpling the walls claiming it acts like dimples on a golf ball. I looked into that and it's not correct. The dimples on a golf ball cause the airflow to close behind the ball and eliminate a low pressure area behind it - totally different thing. But, causing your fuel to bead up I'm sure is a real concern. My understanding is that back in the carb days manifold wall wetting was a big part of fuel evaporation. But looking at these short and wide ports and given the air flow and good injector spray, I'm not sure any liquid ever even touches the walls. But I don't have a mirror finish anyway and didn't get any droplets when I sprayed them with carb-cleaner so I think I'm good. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed. Can't wait to see what power gains I get. I'm thinking there has to be some improvement given how rough it was to begin with. Mine had a big old rough ridge running through it too. I was like "WTF?" There seems to also be a big hump in the floor but I wasn't comfortable changing the geometry so I just smoothed it, got rid of the ridge, and sharpened up the septum in the middle. Wish I could get inside that one radius, but oh well.

You can get in there... Just need the right tools/ attachments. Here's what I use plus some buffing wheels that I contour with a razor blade and the Dremel on a medium speed and #6 compound.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Matt I'm sorry but I think that I'm keeping my first gen and using it as a test platform. From fairing mods to engine mods. There will surely be updates but it will definitely take time especially since I'm getting a new 9 sometime soon hopefully!
    '19 M9 '06 M9
    '09 commander

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frotosride View Post
    You can get in there... Just need the right tools/ attachments. Here's what I use plus some buffing wheels that I contour with a razor blade and the Dremel on a medium speed and #6 compound.

Matt I'm sorry but I think that I'm keeping my first gen and using it as a test platform. From fairing mods to engine mods. There will surely be updates but it will definitely take time especially since I'm getting a new 9 sometime soon hopefully!
    I'm talking about that inside radius of the Rear cylinder elbow part. There is just a small patch I couldn't get to. I'm not worried though since it's on the inside and not the outside.