Lumpy at lower speeds

Thread: Lumpy at lower speeds

Default Lumpy at lower speeds

My 9 is running like chit when in lower gears ,feels like it is bucking and when i give it gas takes a second or two to pull ,it dips and then pulls on.i removed a tre which i didn,t like the feel of and now im left with this problem.any ideas please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyckirwan View Post
    My 9 is running like chit when in lower gears ,feels like it is bucking and when i give it gas takes a second or two to pull ,it dips and then pulls on.i removed a tre which i didn,t like the feel of and now im left with this problem.any ideas please.
    What was it about the affects of the TRE that you didn't like? Most of us love what the TRE does for the 9, in terms of improved throttle response, smoothing out the 9s acceleration, and providing the ability to get more out of gears 1-3 by eliminating, or at least extending the rev limits in each of those gears beyond the stock settings/limits. Perhaps you should reinstalling the TRE, and see if that is what's causing your 9 to run bad in the lower gears. If that solves the problem, it's a no-brainer as to what you should do then.

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    What was it about the affects of the TRE that you didn't like? Most of us love what the TRE does for the 9, in terms of improved throttle response, smoothing out the 9s acceleration, and providing the ability to get more out of gears 1-3 by eliminating, or at least extending the rev limits in each of those gears beyond the stock settings/limits. Perhaps you should reinstalling the TRE, and see if that is what's causing your 9 to run bad in the lower gears. If that solves the problem, it's a no-brainer as to what you should do then.
    Sounds like a fuel problem to me ,maybe fuel filter is blocked.

Gez.
    1 De/sticker .<br />2Iso grips throttle boss x 2 red accent rings.<br />3Engine bars<br />4Drive shaft cover.<br />5# Plate (Gez 09) chrome<br />6Exhaust ( baffles ) modded. <br />7Chrome side mount rego holder.<br />8Tank bra <br />9Jsd-3m<br />10Polished M109R res cover<br />11Smoke Indicator Lenses.<br />12Stebel horn &nbsp;right cover).<br />13Suzuki backrest and rack.<br />14Widow pegs <br />15Polished M109R engine cover.<br />16Blueant Inter .<br />17Nokia 6110 nav phone.<br />18Home made rad grille suz +&#39;s&#39;.<br />19) Braided brake lines.<br />20KN filters/modded holleys.<br />21Elite 3 250 f/b<br />22KM tach <br />23Swing arm cover<br />24pc3 /rc mods<br />25c/f gel seats<br />26bc clutch

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Default Lumpy at lower speeds

Welcome, I see you have 2 posts, first what year is your 9. Let's say you have one that's 2006-2010. I would guess your complaining about the extra sensitive throttle in first and possibly second, I call it the hurky-jurkys, this is how the older bikes where buit. I would simply get out of those two gears quickly. 3 Rd gear is a good around town gear. To get rid of that I was pleasantly surprised when I put the guts of a 2011 into my 2006 clutch. I personally stay away from mucking with the fuel controls system of the bike as I am not a mechanic and my hubby doesn't realy want to be adjusting stuff, seems to be more of a pain in the butt if your not tech savy or have the money to visit a tech when needed.

You may just need to ride it a bit for the computer to take controls of the fuel system since Tre not involved. If that doesn't help maybe re flash the ECU with Scorp. Put things back to original he can also adjust things if you aftermarket air box and pipes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.
    Last edited by biker-chicky; 07-03-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

TRE's make the bike better, not worse. A TRE was the first purchased mod I did to my bike (my de-beaver didn't cost anything). As one mentioned above, it very well could be the fuel filter has gone south. When that happens, the bike does run very bad, especially when the fuel level gets below half tank, which is typically when the first bar on the fuel gauge goes away. My 06 Nine has almost 30,000 miles, and I've had to change the filter twice. Once at around 11,000, and the second time at around 22,000. When I replaced it the second time, I also noted the fuel return line from the pump was not in it's proper place, in the hole on the side of the boot at the filter end. This also causes the bike to run bad when the fuel level gets below half tank. When I put it all back together, I tie-wrapped that hose in place so it would not bounce out again.

If it is the fuel filter, and you keep on keepin on with it, things will get worse. Eventually it will not accept throttle in the lower gears, and will stall when decelerating to a stop. If these two things start happening, you can rest assured it's the fuel filter.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by supergez View Post
    Sounds like a fuel problem to me ,maybe fuel filter is blocked.

Gez.
    I looked at your post again and would strongly suspect something is not right with the connection where the TRE plugged in. Either reinstall the TRE or check the connection is good ,as the ECU gets the info from the gear position sensor for the ignition timing settings for the different gears. These bikes are very jerky on the standard settings in the lower gears and it does take a bit of getting used to.

Gez.
    1 De/sticker .<br />2Iso grips throttle boss x 2 red accent rings.<br />3Engine bars<br />4Drive shaft cover.<br />5# Plate (Gez 09) chrome<br />6Exhaust ( baffles ) modded. <br />7Chrome side mount rego holder.<br />8Tank bra <br />9Jsd-3m<br />10Polished M109R res cover<br />11Smoke Indicator Lenses.<br />12Stebel horn &nbsp;right cover).<br />13Suzuki backrest and rack.<br />14Widow pegs <br />15Polished M109R engine cover.<br />16Blueant Inter .<br />17Nokia 6110 nav phone.<br />18Home made rad grille suz +&#39;s&#39;.<br />19) Braided brake lines.<br />20KN filters/modded holleys.<br />21Elite 3 250 f/b<br />22KM tach <br />23Swing arm cover<br />24pc3 /rc mods<br />25c/f gel seats<br />26bc clutch

Very Active Member

I have noticed that my 9 is jerky 1-3rd gear. And while I am getting much better at riding it smoothly (2300 miles so far). So if a TRE will help that; which is the best to get for our bikes?

Thanks
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    I have noticed that my 9 is jerky 1-3rd gear. And while I am getting much better at riding it smoothly (2300 miles so far). So if a TRE will help that; which is the best to get for our bikes?

Thanks
    Marty
    You need "XTRE" to keep your OEM gear display working

properly, most of the guys buy "HealTech Xtre", here is one:

http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?partID=225512
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    You need "XTRE" to keep your OEM gear display working

properly, most of the guys buy "HealTech Xtre", here is one:

http://www.meancycles.com/store/part...?partID=225512
    thevili

Thanks! That is the one I was looking at, was just reading up on. So I ordered it. Do you guys set it at 4th 5th or 6th gear for the 9?

Much appreciated!
    Marty

Thanks
    Marty
    Hello Marty. The TRE would definitely help with that issue. My 9s are '07 and '08 models. My opinion for best TRE is the Track Day Electronics TRE, which I have on both of my bikes. I even have an extra one here at my house. I honestly don't know if that particular TRE works for every year model of the M109R. I do know that the guy who makes them lives not far from you in Missouri. His name is Darrin, and he's a GREAT guy. If you can find a contact number for him, you could ask if he's still making them, and if so, is he making them for your year model? I also believe that MeanCycles sells TREs for your year model, but I'm not sure which brand they are.

thevili

Thanks! That is the one I was looking at, was just reading up on. So I ordered it. Do you guys set it at 4th 5th or 6th gear for the 9?

Much appreciated!
    Marty
    Gear #4, as per instruction manual.
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Hello Marty. The TRE would definitely help with that issue. My 9s are '07 and '08 models. My opinion for best TRE is the Track Day Electronics TRE, which I have on both of my bikes. I even have an extra one here at my house. I honestly don't know if that particular TRE works for every year model of the M109R. I do know that the guy who makes them lives not far from you in Missouri. His name is Darrin, and he's a GREAT guy. If you can find a contact number for him, you could ask if he's still making them, and if so, is he making them for your year model? I also believe that MeanCycles sells TREs for your year model, but I'm not sure which brand they are.
    They did not make Xtre needed for newer M109Rs.

Also last time I read this:

http://www.trackdayelectronics.com/
    Last edited by thevili; 07-04-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: missprint

The did not make Xtre needed for newer M109Rs.

Last time I read this:

http://www.trackdayelectronics.com/
    Yeah, I checked their site after I responded to Mary, and found what you have posted in the link. I had spoken with Darrin a while back, and I asked if they were going to make them for the newer models, and he informed me that they were strongly considering to discontinue production of their TREs completely, as they had only started it based on a short-term goal they had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thevili

Much appreciated!
    Marty
    Marty, I think it's a plug and play setup, in which you don't need to set which gear it's programmed to. It is already programmed at the 4th gear setting.

Marty, I think it's a plug and play setup, in which you don't need to set which gear it's programmed to. It is already programmed at the 4th gear setting.

Last edited by thevili; 07-04-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Maybe the reason there's different requirements to set it up, is because the Healtech TRE seems to be used for more than one bike, whereas the Track Day Electronics TRE was made specifically for certain year models of one specific bike. IDK, just a thought.

Anyway Marty, you should notice a huge difference in the operation of your 9, once you have the TRE you ordered installed properly.

Let us know your thoughts after you take it out for a test ride.

Very Active Member

Thanks again! I did download that and read it, but was not sure if the 9 was in the "all other crusiers" category.

Thanks
    Marty

Thanks again! I did download that and read it, but was not sure if the 9 was in the "all other crusiers" category.

Thanks
    Marty
    it was installed by many 2011-UP M109R owners here..

This might help you when received:

https://www.m109riders.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219562
    Last edited by thevili; 07-04-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: addition

Default Sorted

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Welcome, I see you have 2 posts, first what year is your 9. Let's say you have one that's 2006-2010. I would guess your complaining about the extra sensitive throttle in first and possibly second, I call it the hurky-jurkys, this is how the older bikes where buit. I would simply get out of those two gears quickly. 3 Rd gear is a good around town gear. To get rid of that I was pleasantly surprised when I put the guts of a 2011 into my 2006 clutch. I personally stay away from mucking with the fuel controls system of the bike as I am not a mechanic and my hubby doesn't realy want to be adjusting stuff, seems to be more of a pain in the butt if your not tech savy or have the money to visit a tech when needed.

You may just need to ride it a bit for the computer to take controls of the fuel system since Tre not involved. If that doesn't help maybe re flash the ECU with Scorp. Put things back to original he can also adjust things if you aftermarket air box and pipes.

Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.
    When i serviced the bike a couple of months ago i noticed there are 4 spark plugs(I thought there were 2)but the mechanic must have thought this too,so i had a look at all of them and he only changed 2 plugs so i replaced the other 2 and the plug nearest to the front of the front was in a terrible state maby because i do a lot of wet weather riding(we dont get mush sun here)bike runs fine now so i think i will put the TRE back on as it it seems the plug was the problem,thanks for your knowlledge

When i serviced the bike a couple of months ago i noticed there are 4 spark plugs(I thought there were 2)but the mechanic must have thought this too,so i had a look at all of them and he only changed 2 plugs so i replaced the other 2 and the plug nearest to the front of the front was in a terrible state maby because i do a lot of wet weather riding(we dont get mush sun here)bike runs fine now so i think i will put the TRE back on as it it seems the plug was the problem,thanks for your knowlledge
    Oh wow! Great! Thanks for the update. Ya 4 plugs. I really need to change mine out, give it the big once over including valve clearance check and shims if needed. Can you check back. Iím interested about your TRE, and why you feel you need it. Thanks.

Yeah ... I'd be taking my bike back to that mechanic .... NOT !!!
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

I see on Track Day Electronics website, that they are no longer producing any products
    Power, looks and style ... nuff said !!

Quote Originally Posted by asillito View Post
    I see on Track Day Electronics website, that they are no longer producing any products
    Thatís true. I tried reaching him after I posted my comments, and it was apparent that he has shot down his TRE business.

Very Active Member Bering_C_Sparky's Avatar

Just flash your ECU already and quit hanging all those expensive electronic dodads on your bike like Christmas ornaments.

BCS

Quote Originally Posted by Bering_C_Sparky View Post
    Just flash your ECU already and quit hanging all those expensive electronic dodads on your bike like Christmas ornaments.

BCS
    Yes! Thatís 100% correct in my opinion, Our bikes are much more advanced and truly donít need those extra bits. The computer is smart and can be programmed.