• Shudder

40 29.20%
  • No problems

67 48.91%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you had clutch failure or shudder or no problems

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordrider View Post
    Looks like about 48% at min.
    With 19 of them being the shudder. Hmmm, I wonder if an old habit of mine has kept me from having that problem. I've had bikes in the past, that when cold, if you dropped it in first, it would stall the engine. So I developed the habit of pulling in the clutch lever, and revving the engine a couple of times. This would break loose sticky clutch plates. I still do this to this day, even when at red lights and the bike in neutral. Pull in the lever, rev it once, drop it in gear and go. My bike has never experienced the shudder.

Hmmmm.

11 real clutch problems, while 33 with none at all.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 10-20-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member rockfordrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    With 19 of them being the shudder. Hmmm, I wonder is an old habit of mine has kept me from having that problem. I've had bikes in the past, that when cold, if you dropped it in first, it would stall the engine. So I developed the habit of pulling in the clutch lever, and revving the engine a couple of times. This would break loose sticky clutch plates. I still do this to this day, even when at red lights and the bike in neutral. Pull in the lever, rev it once, drop it in gear and go. My bike has never experienced the shudder.

Hmmmm.

11 real clutch problems, while 33 with none at all.
    Intresting for sure but I doubt that is the case two pionts to consider.

1) the poll does not allow multiple entries, meaning you could have the tube nut faliure and shudder but only one will be represented in the poll.
    2) I can only speak from personal experiance Mine shuddered from day one, when I fixed the tube nut It stopped, ( the reason it stopped was I put in the wave washer back in wrong, which I didnt know this until I took it apart a couple of years later to replace the fibers, upon taking it apart then, I noticed what I had done and decided to replace the parts Matt sujested, put them in correctly this time and whalaa no shudder again. always have used the same 20-50 valvoline since new. then later I did the pin modwhen I was buliding my custom exhaust.

even if it were 11 of 33 then that would still be a horrible rating to have 33% have a faliure.
    Bully Bagger

07...47xxx kms...never any issues...
    Stav

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member nitrousexplorer's Avatar

My 09 did it randomly last couple of years, this year no probs. I forget what oil brand but it's labeled vtwin.
    2009 M109R Dark Red, Chromed factory wheels,160 front 260 rear,HID headlamp, Suzuki sport shield,Holley Filters, Cobra FI2000,Modified stock exhaust,Clear corners,Kewl metal air ride,White gauge LEDs,Custom grill.

first clutch cable lasted 30000+ miles....had shudder twice...could have been a oil/cold issue...otherwise been rock solid....taking my last ride perhaps tomorrow on the old girl...been a good run 40000 miles.
    "Motorcyclist are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what make of machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan" - Walter Davidson 1920.

I had shudder, but the ground pin and new wave washer took care of it.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Quote Originally Posted by BigM109r2 View Post
    so far it looks like 07 wasn't a good year for 9's
    Guess I lucked out, haven't had one issue with my '07 with 27,000 miles. I wonder what the percentages actually are for any problems for any year? probably pretty small, you hear about problems from a few out of thousands of bikes sold.
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Guess I lucked out, haven't had one issue with my '07 with 27,000 miles. I wonder what the percentages actually are for any problems for any year? probably pretty small, you hear about problems from a few out of thousands of bikes sold.
    Yup, what I said. Out of the many thousands sold, only a small percentage come here. Out of those that do manage to come here, it seems quite a few have problems. Pretty sure when push-comes-to-shove, the bikes with no problems are considerably more than those with problems. Not that it makes those with problems feel better.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    I had shudder, but the ground pin and new wave washer took care of it.
    Same here, like a new bike now.
    2008 M109T

Default 2006

I'm not sure what oil was in the bike, I bought it less than two months ago. The hub nut
    came loose and caused the failure. I tightened the hub nut with a home made tool with
    loctite. I put shell rotella T synthetic in. I also did the push pin mod myself. Bike is A LOT
    smoother now and shifts from 1-2 easily. Very happy with the mod and proud of myself for
    doing all the work. Have to give credit to this site for all the "how too's".

Very Active Member

My vote was no problem but i thought it meant due to shudder. No problem with shudder but did have to do the tube nut. Didnt do anything with the pin or anything cause well, if its not broke , dont fix it ! Didnt see a need to but at the time i didnt even know about clutch shudder or what it was. Still dont know what it feels like as its smooth. Oh! by the way 07 with 31000 miles .

Quote Originally Posted by cbxer55 View Post
    My bike got that way all by itself. I no longer have to shift it like I mean it, never had the shudder, always been able to find neutral on first try, from either first or second. Well, except when the cable broke, finding neutral was a PITA without the clutch. Other than that, mine's a dream to ride. I've never had the clutch exposed, no push pin mod. It just gets better and better every time I ride it.

For an 06, I guess I got lucky. I wonder though. I've always used Suzuki 20W-50 petroleum oil, never synthetic. Absolutely no way anyone could pay me to put amsoil in my bike. Straight to the trash with it. And nothing less than 20W-50, ever.
    Me too using 20/50 makes a huge difference, but I use Spectro Golden 4 semi synth, also giving the bike a reasonable warm up before riding also makes a difference.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by crfishon View Post
    06 bought used with 21000 and have had clutch shudder since, now has 35000. Does not do it every ride not even every other ride but sometimes it will do it twice in a ride. Wired! Can not really pin point a reason whatsoever.

Chris
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mine is very similar to yours Chris ..Mine is a 2007 with 30-000 miles on it , Ive tightened the tubular nut up and it does it now and then... I will have a look at it again when my clutch plates need renewing in a few miles time ....

Quote Originally Posted by jug rider View Post
    Me too using 20/50 makes a huge difference, but I use Spectro Golden 4 semi synth, also giving the bike a reasonable warm up before riding also makes a difference.
    I am a believer in warming up my vehicles before driving or riding them. My bike, I start it up about 10 minutes before leaving for work, then close the garage door to a one foot gap. Let it warm up thoroughly before riding. I start it at work and let it warm up while putting my gear on. Usually about a five minute warm up a work. 21,000 miles now and no issues to date. Have 11,000 miles on my rear Dunlop 250 and it still has tread.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Bought my 2k6 from a dude 2 years ago with 5000K on it, shortly after I started experiencing the shudder, would do it one or two times in ten.

Tried different oil, leaving in gear at stop, neutral at stop....bla bla bla..no difference.

Did the pin mod last year and hasn't done it over 1500K

Default Have you had clutch failure or shudder or no problems

At around 30,000 ks I had clutch shudder, I replaced the number 2 drive plate and wave washer in the clutch and no more problems. I now have 96,000 ks on the bike. There as wear on the plate, a grove all the way around.

Guv
    Last edited by mikeyzok; 01-04-2014 at 05:42 PM.
    Member of Patriots Australia Western Ranges Chapter.

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Default Tread revival

Yes, my tub nut backed off at approximately 45,000 km this spring, 2016, Oddly enough my clutch plates were good enough to continue using. I am on my 3rd clutch cable, we have 2, 2006 M109r, and I would not ride any other bike. 10 years of glory, and working on another 10 years! Maybe even stay healthy enough to make it to collector plate statuses! Currently at 50,000 km and running strong.

Riders Meet 2018, Nakusp BC. Date ?
    Planning stage. Location secured

Well, since biker chicky rewoke the thread, guess I'll add some more two cents. Sometime during 2014, mine started to get the shudder every once in a while. Nothing bothersome to me. And when it did, I just pulled in the clutch, blipped the throttle, and took off normally. It continued to do that throughout 2014 and 2015.

Since I routed the crankcase breather hoses to a bottle, I decided this year to do an experiment. Last oil change, I added two ounces every week, until I had 4.5 quarts of oil in the bike. And after I changed the oil, I did the same with the current oil. Been riding it with 4.5 quarts for over 6000 miles now, and have not had one case of the shudder since. Nor have I had any problems with losing oil, bottle is empty. Nor does the bike run bad, or give me any indication it doesn't like 4.5 quarts of oil.

So that will be my M.O for as long as I continue to own this bike. 4.5 quarts of 20W-50 petroleum oil, most likely Suzuki's own blend. May try the Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 next oil change. May not.
    SILVER 2006 M109R.
    BLACK 2008 B-KING

Default 2007 Clutch Issue

I purchased a 2007 about 5 years ago. Shortly thereafter I had the problem of the clutch gumming up. Really sucks when your setting in traffic on your way to work and your bike decides it wants to go. Nothing to do but turn the engine off until traffic clears enough to start and go. I did all the adjustments to the clutch and cable. tried all the recommended oils. Seems like every 5000 miles I had to clean the clutch plates. Loved the bike but this was getting aggravating. Then one day while checking all the adjustments I noticed that the the cable lever connected to the cam(in the side case) that pushes the clutch rod was moving kinda weird when I engaged the clutch. When the clutch lever rotated it kinda tilted at the same time. I knew this was not right at all so I removed the left side cover to inspect the clutch lever,cam and rod. Sure enough there was excess play on the far end of the clutch rod cam. I disassembled the lever and cam assembly. I inspected the roller bearings the clutch lever cam turns inside. There are two. A outer bearing and an inner bearing. The outer bearing was fine. The inner bearing was "HUH"?? Wheres the inner bearing. It was missing. In fact. There was no evidence of there ever being a bearing. Not a single scratch or scar inside the bearing housing. The missing bearing was not allowing the clutch rod to open the clutch plates enough so they could clean themselves. The small gap between the clutch plates was creating excess heat and therefore burning the oil. With the bearing missing there was no way to adjust the clutch correctly because you do not adjust it under load. The clutch rod was only getting about have the stroke it was suppose to. The rest of the stroke was lost due to the cam moving in opposite direction. I replaced the inner bearing and have had no more issues. This clearly looked like a quality assembly issue. I am an engineer in an automotive factory and I know about quality and standardized work. If you are having issues with the clutch sticking you might want to check and make sure the clutch cable cam lever is rotating true and not tilting.

I*ve found on youtube this video...
    I had same *problem* 2 times on past week for the first time...

below the video in comments guy offer the solution...

c/p:HI, you need to replace these parts: 21441-48G40 1pcs, 21471-48G00 1pcs and 21472-48G10 1pcs. These parts will fix the problem. Here you see the picture, check the year. had the same symptom last season. This is common problem with these M1800R bikes. It is very easy to fix. Just order new parts to clutch and replace them. You do not need to replace clutch plates, only those last parts on the clutch pack, thin spring plate and blank plate beside of it. After that you do not have any problems with clutch shudder.http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2007-suzuki-boulevard-m109r-vzr1800-clutch/o/m147577sch512337

Crew what do you think about this?