Plate Relocation keeping stock signals

Thread: Plate Relocation keeping stock signals

Default Plate Relocation keeping stock signals

Hey guys,
    At one of the show and shines meeting with some fellow 9'ers they were talking about moving their plates up. I found a very old thread talking about it but since it was pre-upgrade there were no pictures. Thought I would try to give back a little to the forum that has given me so much. So here goes.

First of all I am not electrically inclined to say the least so anyone can do this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg 
Views:	858 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	97697
    Here is the regular beaver with the plate removed and your starting point.

Name:	IMG_0467.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	97705
    I removed the reflector which also holds on the light housing.

Name:	IMG_0465.jpg 
Views:	671 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	97713
    The wires come through a rubber bit to keep everything from getting wet which is a good idea given the location. I wanted to utilize this since I am using LED bolts to hold on the plate and needed to wire them into the existing line.

Of course this is where I got paranoid since cutting the actual wire meant I was committed. So I did what every good man would. I called my dad so I would have someone to blame if things went sideways. Like I said I am not electrically inclined in the least so cutting wires scares me.

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	97721
    There was not much extra wire sticking out of the hole so I took off the rear cover and cut the zip tie holding the wiring for the back lights. This gave me about an inch more which was all I needed to make it work. It also gave me the chance to see how dirty it was in places I cannot normally reach. It's cleaner now.

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg 
Views:	690 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	97729
    I also unplugged the real wire to help give that extra inch to work with.
    Last edited by BobtheMedic; 03-27-2015 at 04:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Default Continued

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	97737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg 
Views:	638 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	97745

Take the LED wires and feed them through the plate and then through the beaver. Don't forget to put your washer and nut on the wire at this point. I also put on heat shrink to make sure the wires were totally protected from any water off the tire. You can see the two wires from the original light coming out of the hole.

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	97753

I bought some connectors. About $3.50 a bag. Male and female.

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg 
Views:	614 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	97761

I put two small cuts into the runner cover (see picture from under fender above) and fed the LED wires through it. I just used my wire cutters to make a very small slit and pushed the wires through. Crimp on the connectors. I put one male and one female on each set of wires to ensure I didn't get them mixed up.

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	97769

Do this on the LED wires as well as the existing wires from the original light.
    Last edited by BobtheMedic; 03-27-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Default Continued again

Wish you could post more than 5 pictures on each post.

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg 
Views:	644 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	97777

I cut the LED wires long enough so if I ever have to remove the plate I will be able to put new ends on them. That being said I also cut them short enough so I could fit everything into the little hole behind the plate. My LED's have red lights on the end and white pointing up so I took both the red and white wires from both sides and put them into one connector. The other is the ground.

Name:	IMG_0481.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	97833

Now push everything into the hole and do up the nuts behind the plate until snug. It doesn't have to be too tight because you can break the LED thread off which would suck. The threads on one of mine must have gotten a little dented at the factory because I had to fight with it to tighten it. I felt the threads crack with my last twist but it didn't break off thankfully. Still tight and stays in place and does it's job. I put a tie wrap under the fender to tidy everything up.
    Replace the rear cover. Don't forget to pull back the wire and do up the connection you undid. I also replaced the tie wrap to keep things tight under there.

Name:	IMG_0482.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	97809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0483.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	97817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg 
Views:	861 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	97825

In my mind the rubber seal from the original light/reflector creates a decent seal with the plate up against it to keep out the rain. I positioned the white LED's towards the plate to keep any happy and not feeling the need to ticket me.
    Shows off a little more of the tire which we all love and keeps the stock signals since I like them with my Corbin saddlebags.

Hope this helps and makes sense. Good luck. Total cost was about $40
    Last edited by BobtheMedic; 03-27-2015 at 04:40 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Good work.... But dang Alberta has Hugh ass plate lol

Very Active Member

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by John109R View Post
    We like our plates like we like our women ... Wait a minute that didn't come out right .... I mean ... Uhh ...
    I'm going to go now ....

Great post! Dang, I second the huge plate comment

Debaffled~Yana Shiki License Plate, Derby, Blade Levers, Anodized Exotic Kickstand~Knight Rider G4~Raw Design Stealth Rear Signals~Raw Designs C.A. Front Turn Signals~HH Taillight Cover~Ferreus Combat Skull Grille~Mean Cycles Chin Spoiler~X-TRE~Gman FI Controller & Stealth Intakes~Rex 3D Mirrors~R.I.S. Diamond Cut Grips~Progressive 465 W\RAP 1" Lower~Cobra Swept~Rick Mayer Custom Seat

Quote Originally Posted by BobtheMedic View Post
    We like our plates like we like our women ... Wait a minute that didn't come out right .... I mean ... Uhh ...
    I'm going to go now ....
    LOL

The plate mod looks good
    ]

I'm going to go now ....
    LOLOL BIG AND FLAT LOLOL

You need a bigger tire and women,to make that plate look smaller..
    Stav

Very Active Member SilverSurfer's Avatar

You know what they say about a man with a big plate.......
    Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it....Mark Twain
    Gray 2008 M109R TRE, K&N, debeavered, gutted, custom Punisher intakes/key/derby, Fi2000r, PIAA, Air horn, Iso stilletos, Scythe mirrors, BackOff XP, P1 modulator, Irate Mesh Grill, LE tail,signals

Very Active Member

Cool

it just looks huge behind a tiny tire.
    Chrome factory rims, 280 metz, 160 batttleaxe, fat forks, grips, tach relocated, chin spoiler, ATRE, Fi2000, cobra swept, chrome covers, debeaver, blue led kit, seat cowl, 2" drop. COMING SOON (hopefully): air-ride w/center stand, 2" lowering spring, smoked taillight, side plate, chrome calipers/mounts/rotors, digital gauges, 2nd gear overhaul w/ cams, performance clutch, and more leds.

Quote Originally Posted by tagenz View Post
    it just looks huge behind a tiny tire.
    Thanks guys.

I just have to wear out this tire before I get a bigger one. Give me time.

Lolol its ok bud were just yanking your chain....😊

Looks good! Those signals sure do stick WAY out. Forgot what the back of a stock 9 looks like.

The Alberta plates are huge! Impossible to get mounts for them. I've trimmed mine up with a set of snips. Can hardly tell.
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro

Lolol its ok bud were just yanking your chain....
    Yankin the chain or not you speak the truth! Once these tires are done a bigger on the back and front is the plan.

Very Active Member waytootall67's Avatar

Are your clear tail lights in?
    House of Chrome peg extensions, Full cut gel seat, CWI back rest,
    Cobra solo rack, Tsukayu hard bags, Gman TRE

Factory installed GO FAST STRIPES

Quote Originally Posted by waytootall67 View Post
    Are your clear tail lights in?
    Ordered the clear and then had buyers remorse, so while I was up north I bought the smoked ones which were waiting for me when I got home. Finally found the white reflectors for the front which I am impatiently waiting for now. It's coming together. I think the Tach is getting moved in the next week. Got the itch bad to do it.
    Want to buy some extra clear ones for your LE? I have an extra set.

Ordered the clear and then had buyers remorse, so while I was up north I bought the smoked ones which were waiting for me when I got home. Finally found the white reflectors for the front which I am impatiently waiting for now. It's coming together. I think the Tach is getting moved in the next week. Got the itch bad to do it.
    Want to buy some extra clear ones for your LE? I have an extra set.

I did the tach reloctate. a really good MOD! cleans things up alot.
    2009 M109 LE
    ISO grips, Swing Wing pegs, Shifter/Brake pedal MOD, Rivco 2" Risers, V-Stream Windshield, Cobra Sissy Bar/Rack, Tach Relocated, Mini Bullet Signals, Scythe 2 Mirrors, Debadged, DeBeaved,
    RaceTech fork Springs, Progressive 465, LA Choppers 2" bones, Cycle House Kickstand, Chrome Stock Wheels, Freedom Exhaust, Goldwing Intake MOD + K&N filters, Cobra Power Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Andy33 View Post
    I did the tach reloctate. a really good MOD! cleans things up alot.
    Did you take a crap load of pictures and post them on the how too?? If not you are dead to me!!
    It scares the crap out of me to do it but I'm going to try it anyways. I would love a pic or two showing where you cut and how you attached it if you would be so kind.

Did you take a crap load of pictures and post them on the how too?? If not you are dead to me!!
    It scares the crap out of me to do it but I'm going to try it anyways. I would love a pic or two showing where you cut and how you attached it if you would be so kind.

i followed the "how to" to the T. a dremel and some cardboard templates are best. its so tight in there other than some 3M velco tape it just sits in there.
    i ran some bike inner tube around so i didnt get light shinning through.

message me and i can give you my cell if you need.
    2009 M109 LE

Quote Originally Posted by Andy33 View Post
    i followed the "how to" to the T. a dremel and some cardboard templates are best. its so tight in there other than some 3M velco tape it just sits in there.
    i ran some bike inner tube around so i didnt get light shinning through.

message me and i can give you my cell if you need.
    Sounds more like you need to come over for a beer at some point this week. I have some beer if you have some time.

I'm going to go now ....
    That's funny! Great write up. Yeah I'm going to be using this and may faness it a little for my taste. (Different lights) LOL

Currently: Bone Stock with K&N Filters

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Reed View Post
    That's funny! Great write up. Yeah I'm going to be using this and may faness it a little for my taste. (Different lights) LOL
    There are all sorts of lights out there to use. One of the guys here has some sick skulls on his. Make it yours. It's a nice easy/cheap mod that makes a difference to the look which is what we are going for. If I still had it the original way with the air ride the plate would be draggin!!

Good luck and post pics so we can see your choice of lights.
    07 Pearl M109R: Cobra Swepts, Chrome Derby Cover, PC III USB, Chrome Swing Arm, Debeavered, Poor Mans Chrome Rad , Debadged, Tach Relocation, White Front Reflectors, Smoked Signal and Brake Lights, Front Signals into LED Driving lights, Holley Intakes, Tricky Air Ride, HID Headlight, TRE, 250 Fat Rear Tire, '11 Black Rims, Painted Rotors, Switchblade pegs, Arlen Ness Grips, ISO rear grips, OEM Crash Bars, Chrome kickstand, and more to come....

Good luck and post pics so we can see your choice of lights.
    Sure will!

Currently: Bone Stock with K&N Filters

Thumbs up

Thanks for the post, after reading I went out and did the mod to my bike. Given my bike is black, moving the plate up and keeping the rest of the mount looks fine. I've got the chrome license plate frame with LED turn signals and running/brake light. I'll have to post some pics in the day light as this was an 11:00pm start time mod

Quote Originally Posted by MotoFox4Life View Post
    Thanks for the post, after reading I went out and did the mod to my bike. Given my bike is black, moving the plate up and keeping the rest of the mount looks fine. I've got the chrome license plate frame with LED turn signals and running/brake light. I'll have to post some pics in the day light as this was an 11:00pm start time mod
    Glad it helped you out. I would love to take credit for coming up with this idea but it had already been done by others but no how too was done that I could find (except for an old format one with no pictures)
    Always makes me smile when I see that something I posted helped out another. I have gotten so much from this forum and am glad I can give a little back.

I love the look and can't wait to see how it turned out on yours.
    07 Pearl M109R: Cobra Swepts, Chrome Derby Cover, PC III USB, Chrome Swing Arm, Debeavered, Poor Mans Chrome Rad , Debadged, Tach Relocation, White Front Reflectors, Smoked Signal and Brake Lights, Front Signals into LED Driving lights, Holley Intakes, Tricky Air Ride, HID Headlight, TRE, 250 Fat Rear Tire, '11 Black Rims, Painted Rotors, Switchblade pegs, Arlen Ness Grips, ISO rear grips, OEM Crash Bars, Chrome kickstand, and more to come....