FI flashing an alternating with mileage meter.

Thread: FI flashing an alternating with mileage meter.

Default FI flashing an alternating with mileage meter.

Turn ignition on an FI starts to flash an alternate with mileage meter, turn off turn on same again.Get the special tool an put in
    the mode thing,turn ignition back on and it gives me the -coo, pull the special tool out while the engine is running an it go's back to normal.Has not done this in 20,000k just started and only sometimes,so what thinks you people should be checked ?All feedback appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Personally, I repeatedly have issues with the FI light coming on right when I turn on the kill switch and the key and then not going off. For me, it's always the same thing, the exhaust flow control actuator is stuck. I pull off the right side cover and apply manual pressure to the rotor until it moves then try it again. That's usually sufficient for a while, adding WD40 to it makes it last a little longer...adjusting the cables (so the mechanic said) lasted the longest.
    '08 C109RT Black and Silver, Show Chrome heated grips, National Cycle hand deflectors, Speedo Visor, Nautilus Air horn, GMan TRE, GBushing, GMan Riser Extender, Corbin heated touring saddle, Cobra Fatty highway bars, Kuryaken highway pegs, Sage Brush engine guard chaps, more mods to come with $$

Thanks Lemiarty,
    haven't tried that 1 yet I'll keep it in mind,thanks muchly

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lemiarty View Post
    Personally, I repeatedly have issues with the FI light coming on right when I turn on the kill switch and the key and then not going off. For me, it's always the same thing, the exhaust flow control actuator is stuck. I pull off the right side cover and apply manual pressure to the rotor until it moves then try it again. That's usually sufficient for a while, adding WD40 to it makes it last a little longer...adjusting the cables (so the mechanic said) lasted the longest.
    Why do you use the kill switch to turn your bike off ? I have heard it is not good to use the kill switch like that as it should be used in emergency only ?

Sent from the bowels of awesomness

Enter the beast for it has taken thee to its den and shared its power !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by carnivor View Post
    Why do you use the kill switch to turn your bike off ? I have heard it is not good to use the kill switch like that as it should be used in emergency only ?

I've always been told that it is a good idea to use the kill switch just to make sure it is functioning. Why wouldn't it be good to use the kill switch?

Quote Originally Posted by AWESOME109 View Post
    I've always been told that it is a good idea to use the kill switch just to make sure it is functioning. Why wouldn't it be good to use the kill switch?
    Im only goin by what someone told me ,but apparently its not good to shut the electrics on and off using the kill switch as it can cause probs in the electricals ,I never looked this up as it was a mechanic that told me ,but I dont use the kill switch , I just use the key to turn the bike off and if I have to lock it ,i do so at the neck .

The kill switch doesn't turn off the electronics, only the engine, the computer, lights, etc. all function with the kill switch in the off position. It is also what they teach you to do in motorcycle safety class and I can't say that I've ridden with anyone that doesn't turn their bike off with the kill switch.
    '08 C109RT Black and Silver, Show Chrome heated grips, National Cycle hand deflectors, Speedo Visor, Nautilus Air horn, GMan TRE, GBushing, GMan Riser Extender, Corbin heated touring saddle, Cobra Fatty highway bars, Kuryaken highway pegs, Sage Brush engine guard chaps, more mods to come with $$

90% of the time I turn mine off by leaving it in 1st and dropping the stand (I live in a hilly town, so I leave it in gear as an added precaution).

As to the original question.. start the bike.. THEN put the special tool on. I found if I did the tool first I didn't get the proper error code.

Im only goin by what someone told me ,but apparently its not good to shut the electrics on and off using the kill switch as it can cause probs in the electricals ,I never looked this up as it was a mechanic that told me ,but I dont use the kill switch , I just use the key to turn the bike off and if I have to lock it ,i do so at the neck.

I've always used the kill switch to shut down my motorcycles.

- My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

I was told it is for emergency only and can cause damage to electronics so I'll go with that and turn off via the key :)

Sent from origins unknown

I have owned bikes for the last 40 years. I have always used the kill switch to turn off the bike. Never heard that it was bad. Been a mechanic for almost as long. lol All it does is shut the engine off. Same as the key, except the key shuts everything off.

98% of all Harleys solld are still on the road...the other 2% made it back home

Any chance U people could stick 2 the page ? or R most of U suffering dementia, because it seems y'all 4got the question ,
    not kill switch question, FI question.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzar View Post
    Any chance U people could stick 2 the page ? or R most of U suffering dementia, because it seems y'all 4got the question ,
    Sorry mate my bad ,please continue :)

Question

Sorry mate my bad ,please continue :)

I know my FI light likes to come on after I wash it at the carwash. Let it dry for a day or two and the light goes out. Done that several times. Took it to the dealer once after the FI came on and they said there were no codes shown? I have had the throttle position sensor changed due to a FI light a couple of years back. Have almost 27K on the bike :)
    2008 C109RT bought new in 2010. Added GMAM Windshield bag, Cobra Fatty crashbars, OEM Light Bar, highway pegs, throttle lock, Cobra Power Pro and rear luggage rack.

Well that says to me that moisture is getting In , I know this is obvious , tell me have you got an atre , I only as because if you have , unplug the plugs and clean out with electrical cleaner , let it evaporate , plug the plugs back together and then tape with electrical tape at the seem that they if together and see how that goes :)

Sent from origins unknown

Banned

Yeah shut up carnage ! Answer the question ! Rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzar View Post
    Sorry, I don't speak walmartian abreivated text. Maybe if I had my IQ lowered 50 points I would understand. ENGLISH, please.

I had that happen to me once, with the flashing of the FI light and the odometer. I had a bad TPS. It was replaced under warranty.

- My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    - God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the vision to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sidVZR View Post
    Yeah shut up carnage ! Answer the question ! Rofl.
    The only time I have had FI light issues was a low voltage battery.

Replaced the battery and the regulator/rectifier and the FI light has never come back on except at key turn on with the rest of them.