M109 Rider Forums banner

Spark Plugs

21K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  thevili 
#1 ·
How hard is it to change out the spark plugs on my C109RT?

#2 ·
They're right in there near your injectors. It's easiest to do with the tank off and the air cleaners, ducting, and those chromed "engine" covers out of the way.

#3 ·
yea, I've got a service manual, but it calls for a special tool to take them out.

#6 ·
#10 ·
Oh yes, I know all about this.

#11 · (Edited)
#16 ·
#21 ·
:bigthumbsup:

#19 ·
I'm a rookie and didn't pull off anything besides the tank, both plastic side covers and the chrome engine covers. If you have engine guards, the right side could be an issue.

#20 ·
When changing spark plugs in anything (boat, bike, car, etc) I cut an 8" length of rubber gas line (about 3/8" ID). After the plug is loose, remove the socket and push the gas line onto the plug and over the white insulation. I then use the gas line to unscrew and remove the plug from down in the hole and over obstacles.

I've found the gas line to be "very helpful" installing the new plugs down in holes and over obstacles.

I had no special tools (other than the above mentioned gas line) when changing plugs this winter.

Dave

#22 · (Edited)
I do this too, unless the plug is out in the open where I can easily grab it with my fingers, ie....... push mower, chainsaw, etc,

#23 ·
#24 ·
I'll tell you what. If you remove the plugs according to the way the service manual
says to do it, then you will be taking the bike completely apart. Their directions
for spark plug removal are ridiculous.

#26 ·
I replaced my plugs yesterday, wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. But I almost effed up, when I removed the first plug I saw it didn't have the terminal cap and I thought it was stuck in the coil pack, then I realized you have the remove the terminal cap from the new spark plugs before installing them.

#28 ·
I'm confused. Do the "M's" have 4 plugs and the "C's" have 2 plugs?

#29 ·
I think I've figured it out. My service manual says to remove the front cylinder's spark plugs and remove the
rear cylinder's spark plugs, implying more than 1 plug per cylinder. I need to get 2 more plugs before I can change
them.

#30 ·
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but here's an update on my plugs. 3 of them are easy with the gas tank off. However, the top front cylinder plug is a PITA. I didn't remove my air box and see no reason to. It's not going to make any difference either way.

#31 ·
Here's what my old plugs looked like:

How should I adjust my Bully controller and which mode should be adjusted?

#32 ·
I may get a Cobra tuner for my bike. It looks like it's easier to adjust than my GMan Bully controller.

#33 ·
They are some dirty plugs you have there!

The old days of holding the bike flat out and doing a plug chop to guess jet settings are way gone! :D

You kinda have to guess at what throttle setting you use and adjust the setting on the box that covers that area.
Really is trial and error without measuring the afr at the headers.
Someone who's plugs are a good colour should be able to get you close though.

The Cobra power pro gets a lot of good posts on here. :bigthumbsup:

#34 ·
yea, a plug chop would be a PITA with 4 plugs, especially with that front cylinder top plug. I would get an afr meter, but that's expensive for a one-time use. The Cobra comes with pre-sets for stock, after market exhaust and after market air intake. I mean I like the GMan Bully controller, but I'm having trouble getting it just right.

#35 ·
it's amazing what a difference a set of NEW spark plugs can make. She's purring now.

#39 ·
How to rule out a Spark Plug as your problem

I don't need to do all of that to check my plugs. It's pretty obvious why they weren't working properly. They were fouled out. They don't work to good when they are as black as mine were.

#40 ·
This is a DIY tutorial about how to change the 4 spark plugs of our C´s. I think most of you understand spanish, but if you find any term, word or process you don´t understand, let me know, and I try to explain in my best english (... that anytimes is not the best it could be...).

It was made for me, a couple of months ago and I tried to explain step-by-step, includin pictures taken for me, and others copied from the workshop manual.

Sorry anyway not to be written in english, but I did it for an spanish web of Suzuki owners, but repeat that if anybody want to know anything about any step, becouse doesn´t understand what the text meen, let me know and I´ll try to traduce it for him.

The link to dwonload the tutorial is this: http://1drv.ms/1q0R2D0

Just only two more things...

1º: As its show in tuto, I think it is imposible to change the spark plug inserted on the top of the front cilinder, without unmounting the Airbox firstable.
2º: The box spanner for the spark plugs, is a 19 mm. one.

... Good rides all of you, wherever you were.

#41 ·
I was able to change my front plug without removing my airbox. I took the bolt out of the brake line junction and unbolted the coil bracket, so I could push them out of the way. The I was able to get to the plug with a swivel and long extension. Once It was loosened, I simply slid a piece of hose over the tip and unscrewed the plug. I used the same piece of hose to install the new plug and then tight it back up with my ratchet. Then I buttoned everything back up, no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.